Installing new Campagnolo 11-speed chain with KMC Missing Link - need help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fogman wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:57 am
I have used the KMC Missing Link in the past with no issues. I have since purchased the Campagnolo 11 speed chain tool and now pin and peen my chain. I like to change my chain frequently (~every 1200 miles) so as not to wear out my cassette prematurely.

Slightly off topic: I use an 11 speed Record chain with Chorus cassette. Everything else is Super Record mechanical. Has anyone tried the Chorus chain with this set up? I was thinking a Chorus chain might last a little longer.
Chorus cassettes cost $135.
Record chains cost $50.
Chorus chains cost $40.

Well lubed chains should last >4x as long as you're using them for, so you're wasting money.

I suspect the only difference between the Record and Chorus chain is the use of hollow pins. This has no effect on chain wear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dananton485

by Dananton485

Never had a problem with KMC quick links on either 10s or 11s Campagnolo Record chains. They run very smooth and are available at all the local bike shops. You can use a standard Park chain tool to break both the 10s and 11s chains. By using the KMC quick link you avoid having to buy a specific 11s Campy tool and you can take you chain off for maintenance anytime you want.

The critical factor is to get the right chain length. I put the chain in both the small small and big big combos first to see if my chain length will work. I use a small Allen key to temporarily hold the links together before I break the chain. I use a 53/39 and 11/29 with a short cage 11s rear derailleur and can use all of my gears without issues. However, I will note that on my previous 10s setup with a 10s rear derailleur that it didn't like a rear cassette larger than a 27. Not sure why but the 11s rear derailleur seems t handle larger cogs better. I have an early 2009 short cage record 11s rear derailleur and just put on the 11/29. I'm pretty sure it could handle a 32 too but it probably wuoind not work as well as the 11/29

Dananton485

by Dananton485

Never had a problem with KMC quick links on either 10s or 11s Campagnolo Record chains. They run very smooth and are available at all the local bike shops. You can use a standard Park chain tool to break both the 10s and 11s chains. By using the KMC quick link you avoid having to buy a specific 11s Campy tool and you can take you chain off for maintenance anytime you want.

The critical factor is to get the right chain length. I put the chain in both the small small and big big combos first to see if my chain length will work. I use a small Allen key to temporarily hold the links together before I break the chain. I use a 53/39 and 11/29 with a short cage 11s rear derailleur and can use all of my gears without issues. However, I will note that on my previous 10s setup with a 10s rear derailleur that it didn't like a rear cassette larger than a 27. Not sure why but the 11s rear derailleur seems t handle larger cogs better. I have an early 2009 short cage record 11s rear derailleur and just put on the 11/29. I'm pretty sure it could handle a 32 too but it probably wuoind not work as well as the 11/29