Upgrade to C60 sees a downgrade in performance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Colnagolover

by Colnagolover

Hi,

First timer, but hoping someone in this audience can share thoughts...

I have owned a (Colnago) C59 (Super Record/Enve wheels/DT hubs/Bontrager saddle) for years and loved it. I 'upgraded' to a C60 (Super Record/Bora/DT hubs/Selle Italia) last year and just cannot get the same performance. I've been properly fitted and taken the bike back for a check, with nothing to report.

Someone suggested it may be the saddle - ie I get better support from the Bontrager so can drive through the hips.

I'd love to hear if anyone has either had a similar experience - or has a suggestion.

Thanks in anticipation

BikeKingV1r

by BikeKingV1r

Sounds like switching the saddle would be an easy way to find out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

What do you mean exactly by "cannot get the same performance"?

fa63

by fa63

BikeKingV1r wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:40 am
Sounds like switching the saddle would be an easy way to find out.
Agreed, why not put on your old saddle (if it is still in your possession; if not, I am sure you can find one on Ebay) and see how it goes?

bilwit

by bilwit

try less fish & chips

Boshk

by Boshk

Colnagolover wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:53 am
Hi,

First timer, but hoping someone in this audience can share thoughts...

I have owned a (Colnago) C59 (Super Record/Enve wheels/DT hubs/Bontrager saddle) for years and loved it. I 'upgraded' to a C60 (Super Record/Bora/DT hubs/Selle Italia) last year and just cannot get the same performance. I've been properly fitted and taken the bike back for a check, with nothing to report.

Someone suggested it may be the saddle - ie I get better support from the Bontrager so can drive through the hips.

I'd love to hear if anyone has either had a similar experience - or has a suggestion.

Thanks in anticipation
silly assumption but I'm guessing you sold your 59? your cassette and rings are the same I assume?
cheapest way would probably be buy the same Bontrager saddle.....and if you have a ton of cash to spare, the same Enve wheels....

I thought the C60 was stiffer and lighter than C59? technically if its the same size, your power transfer should be 'better'? ....

Colnagolover

by Colnagolover

Thanks guys,

I still have the C59.

I'll swap saddles and see how I go. May even swap the Enves but I assumed Bora would be pretty good.

The 60 is stiffer, so in theory you're correct Boshk, should be better power transfer

And in response to the question about 'same performance', I ride the same, mostly flat, strava segments (in Melbourne) on a regular basis and am down around 60+ seconds in 28 mins relative to the C59.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Swap the wheels. That would rule out breaking in bearings and or tire rolling resistance.

Furthermore maybe your chain isn't properly lubricated. What about your bottom bracket? Is is spinning ok?

What about your pedals?

I know normal bearings have very little difference. There could be an accumulative effect from several places though.

What of clothing? Fit also comes to mind... Have you compared the fit dimensions between the bikes? Stack/reach...

/a

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

Maybe you've lost fitness? c60 heavier?
Without a power meter it's just guess work

micky

by micky

2 years ago I purchased a C59 which I sold after 1 month because I couldn't stand the flexy bottom bracket (I was using same wheels as on other bikes so it wasn't a wheels problem).
Now I do have a C60 which is much much better, can't complain, so I would say totally opposite experience than yours.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Colnagolover wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:37 am
Thanks guys,

I still have the C59.

I'll swap saddles and see how I go. May even swap the Enves but I assumed Bora would be pretty good.

The 60 is stiffer, so in theory you're correct Boshk, should be better power transfer

And in response to the question about 'same performance', I ride the same, mostly flat, strava segments (in Melbourne) on a regular basis and am down around 60+ seconds in 28 mins relative to the C59.
That is a MASSIVE difference, it would be very, very hard to put down to just the actual bike alone. Something else has changed, either fitness, fit, the way you ride, the clothes you're wearing and a combination of all of those.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Same tyres? They can make a massive difference to speed

Svetty

by Svetty

Less watts
/end thread

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

You say you're riding the same route everyday, but how are you pacing the efforts? Are you using a power meter? or just heart rate/percieved effort?

60 seconds may feel like a lot of time, but in reality, over a 30 minute effort, it is only a 3% difference. There are many factors that could account for a 3% difference, tires, as suggested above, weather or wind. Perhaps the aspect that has the biggest effect is simply the effort that's being put forth and if you have no power meter or reasonably repetitive way of measuring the effort you're putting out, then I'd say that is why you're seeing the difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bultaco370

by bultaco370

Changing to a supposedly better frame may not guarantee better performance if the new frame does not suit you for some reason (size or geometry for example). I know a local time trialist around here who landed a sponsorship deal with a local bike shop who supplied him with the latest Giant TT bike etc, etc. His performances dropped compared to his old steel time trial bike which he had been riding for years up until that point. He ended up going back to his old bike but had it badged up with the shop's name etc.
I would suggest swapping the wheels over to make sure they aren't the root cause of the issue, but if that doesn't help, you might just have to accept that the frame doesn't suit you.