Tubelss tyre repair - how its done properly.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller

by Miller

Does the tread thickness affect how well worms work, like, more thickness is better? Or do they work even with thinly treaded tyres.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not sure I have only used plugs on 3mm + thick tyres. However I have shoved them into sidewalls and there is no bother. Sidewalls are thinner.

Worms are not hard to get right the truck is shove them in as far as you can then some more so little sticks out.

I looked for dynaplugs but £30+ is way too dear. Cheaper to learn how to use worms properly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvq

by dvq

Miller wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:19 pm
Does the tread thickness affect how well worms work, like, more thickness is better? Or do they work even with thinly treaded tyres.
I've had a cut that wouldn't seal on a Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11Storm TLR, they're super thin and came in at 213g new.
Attached is a photo with a 5mm cut that I plugged with a DynaPlug, and rode the tire until it's end of life.
Attachments
IMG_1387.JPG

ms6073

by ms6073

TimW wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 pm
To me they totally change the argument against tubeless..much faster than installing/changing a tube.
Ditto. As I said above, took me more time to pull the Dynaplug Micro out of my jersey pocket and unscrew the cap, than it did to plug the leak. Our friends were used to me changing flat tires pretty quick (aka 3 minutes or so for Vittoria Corsa clinchers) but this was less than 45-seconds total to be back on the bike and rolling away.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 pm
Clanger is slang were I grew up for something that has gone badly wrong.
Thanks for the clarification. Now also for us non-UK folks, could you explain why everyone there thinks that canine testicles are so fabulous? :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.