Tubelss tyre repair - how its done properly.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 4037
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

A customer dropped in today with a clanger. He caught a sharp pothole and big flint wrong and got a through and through puncture. Still not sure how. The whole was big enough for his finger.

I have said before tubeless fails are user error and a tube is never needed. This rider has gone and proved it. Using 3.5mm and 1.5mm worms he fixed it and carried on his ride. So leave your tubes at home. Even clangers can be fixed.
he used loctite flexible superglue as well.


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
upload photo album

by Weenie


Mr.Gib
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

Nice one!

No need to carry an inner tube but a decent knife will be required.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

alcatraz
Posts: 1234
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

by alcatraz

Do these worms require a needle shaped tool to be used? Can the same tool be used for different thicknesses?

How much does the tool weigh? :)

I've never seen a tire with tread on the side walls. What tire is this?

How long did this repair take to make?

On a clincher and tube maybe two tube patches on the inside of the tire would do the trick.

/a

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 1763
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:53 am
Nice one!

No need to carry an inner tube but a decent knife will be required.

You can ride with DynaPlug tails hanging out, so I doubt you'd have an issue riding with worms hanging out. They are very gummy and easy to smush flat so fork/stay clearance isn't an issue. Once you get home you can cut off the excess.

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:02 am

I've never seen a tire with tread on the side walls. What tire is this?

IRC Formula Pro Light/RBCC/X-Guard tubeless. I'm still weary of them after the bead failures dvq and I experienced, and since I've settled on Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik/Performance TLR 11Storms, I would need to be thoroughly impressed by a new tire option to switch.

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 4037
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

Alcatraz,

The tool does does sizes of worms. Maxalami and weldite repair kits have the right tool. The weldite kit has just one size of worms and this is a problem.

My repair kit which is 3x 3.5mm x10cm plugs, 5x 1,5mmx5cm worns, the insertion tool in a small tube weighs 27g. I carry a 3g loctite power flex super glue tube. On a long ride especially if I have not topped up the sealant for a while I carry a 60ml pouch of sealant and valve core remover. Overall it all weighs as little as 30g and as much as 110g.

Tomhatesyou the issue you faced does not seem to have reoccurred. So what ever the cause was it probably affected a small number of tyres.

Regardless of the tyre you use. Worms work.

I had to fix my rear IRC roadlite on Monday night with a big worm. It was a 200 mile ride and all I carried in my back pocket was the above. Below is a pic of the tube.


Image

User avatar
ms6073
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

by ms6073

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:52 am
My repair kit which is 3x 3.5mm x10cm plugs, 5x 1,5mmx5cm worns, the insertion tool in a small tube weighs 27g. I carry a 3g loctite power flex super glue tube.
Nice adaptation of tire tools from auto/truck market. I use the Dynaplug Micro Pro which last month I was able to seal a puncture on one of the wife's tires in under 30-seconds after Orange Seal failed to slow it down, but still carry a spare inner tube and tire boot as Dynaplugs would not do well with the kind of puncture above.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

MikeD
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

bm0p700f wrote:A customer dropped in today with a clanger. He caught a sharp pothole and big flint wrong and got a through and through puncture. Still not sure how. The whole was big enough for his finger.

I have said before tubeless fails are user error and a tube is never needed. This rider has gone and proved it. Using 3.5mm and 1.5mm worms he fixed it and carried on his ride. So leave your tubes at home. Even clangers can be fixed.
he used loctite flexible superglue as well.
You should have sold him a new tire instead. That fix doesn't look very safe to me either.

Mr.Gib
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

MikeD wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm
bm0p700f wrote:A customer dropped in today with a clanger. He caught a sharp pothole and big flint wrong and got a through and through puncture. Still not sure how. The whole was big enough for his finger.

I have said before tubeless fails are user error and a tube is never needed. This rider has gone and proved it. Using 3.5mm and 1.5mm worms he fixed it and carried on his ride. So leave your tubes at home. Even clangers can be fixed.
he used loctite flexible superglue as well.
You should have sold him a new tire instead. That fix doesn't look very safe to me either.
This was on the road. Probably no one carrying an inventory of tires and and a cash register. :roll: Let's assume a new tire will be purchased once the guy gets home.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MikeD
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

Mr.Gib wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm
bm0p700f wrote:A customer dropped in today with a clanger. He caught a sharp pothole and big flint wrong and got a through and through puncture. Still not sure how. The whole was big enough for his finger.

I have said before tubeless fails are user error and a tube is never needed. This rider has gone and proved it. Using 3.5mm and 1.5mm worms he fixed it and carried on his ride. So leave your tubes at home. Even clangers can be fixed.
he used loctite flexible superglue as well.
You should have sold him a new tire instead. That fix doesn't look very safe to me either.
This was on the road. Probably no one carrying an inventory of tires and and a cash register. :roll: Let's assume a new tire will be purchased once the guy gets home.
OK. The way you wrote it seemed to imply your shop fixed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 6545
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

Not from Britain... but curious... what's a "clanger"? Is that like a double whammy huge pinch flat? That's what it appears to be, but that would have taken quite a hit to cause that I would think.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dvq
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:36 pm

by dvq

Wish you guys across the pond could easily get dynaplug racers (http://www.dynaplug.com/racer.html) same concept as worms but easier to use and 25ish grams for the whole thing. Although by the looks of this repair, he'd have needed quite few plugs, or a couple mega plugs.

User avatar
naylor343
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: Haute-Ariege, Midi-Pyrenees

by naylor343

All Brits of 45 years and older know what a clanger is😂😂😂
Attachments
anonymous-clangers-9961784.jpg

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 4037
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

MikeD he did buy a new tyre but he needed to get home first. Also I do say he did the repair not me. I think he was rather rpoud of it. I would have been.

Dynaplugs look like an more expensive way of solving the same problem.

Clanger is slang were I grew up for something that has gone badly wrong.

dvq
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:36 pm

by dvq

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 pm
MikeD he did buy a new tyre but he needed to get home first. Also I do say he did the repair not me. I think he was rather rpoud of it. I would have been.

Dynaplugs look like an more expensive way of solving the same problem.
They're more expensive, but far easier to use because of the way the shaft slides back out. I've used both.

TimW
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: England, UK

by TimW

You can get dynaplugs in the UK. Fixed my own tubeless tyre today with one in seconds. The other nice thing is that they also do different size plugs from normal to megaplugs for bigger holes.

To me they totally change the argument against tubeless..much faster than installing/changing a tube.

(Just as well as getting tubeless tyres on and off is hard)

I've used worms too. They're fine but harder to get right in my experience.




Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post