CAAD build from scratch!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which should I build

CAAD10 56cm (Gulf, used)
25%
CAAD12 54cm or 56cm (New)
75%

Total votes: 12

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

Hey everyone!
I'm concidering maybe building up a new bike from scratch Here's some background below.

I work at a local bike shop (Cannondale retailer amongst other things). We have a 56cm CAAD10 in the Gulf colourway that my boss wants to sell. He's going to get back to me with a price on how much I can grab just the frame for $500CAD.
I want to build something along the lines of the lightest (yet also realalistic) CAAD.
Here's the dilema though. I'm still deciding between starting fresh with the CAAD10 frame or going for a new CAAD12 in 54cm.
I can get the CAAD12 (either frameset or complete bike) at dealer pricing plus an aditional -30% on top of that of that for a Cannondale sales program I did. If I went for the CAAD12, I'd also want to work from the ground up. I'm just torn at which way to go.

As for what i'd build it up with, here's a list of brands we carry that I like and would build either bike with (off the top of my head):
All brands from https://www.cycleslambert.com/Brands/Br ... folio.aspx
- Mavic
- Enve
- Fizik
- Shimano (direct)
- Stages

Any advice is welcome. Whether which option is a better call. Or what to build it with if you've done similar projects, let me know! Below is a picture of the CAAD10 in the back workshop.
IMG_5737.JPG

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

12 > 10, duh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kaboom

by Kaboom

I built a 56cm CAAD9 up from scratch and got it down to 6.4kg with the following:
Slice premium fork, 350g
1050g 24mm deep tubies
Sram Red with Ultegra Cassette
Front DA9000 caliper and rear ZeroG
Chinese 100g saddle
SISL2 cranks
NewUltimate post and stem
FSA energy bars (heavy, around 280g, never got around to replacing them)

It could no doubt be made sub-6 with lighter bars, cassette and some more exotic componentry. It was a really great ride, rode the wheels off it for a couple of years and loved every mile.

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

Kaboom wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:38 am
I built a 56cm CAAD9 up from scratch and got it down to 6.4kg with the following:
Slice premium fork, 350g
1050g 24mm deep tubies
Sram Red with Ultegra Cassette
Front DA9000 caliper and rear ZeroG
Chinese 100g saddle
SISL2 cranks
NewUltimate post and stem
FSA energy bars (heavy, around 280g, never got around to replacing them)

It could no doubt be made sub-6 with lighter bars, cassette and some more exotic componentry. It was a really great ride, rode the wheels off it for a couple of years and loved every mile.
Exactly! I feel like by using the CAAD 10 I can save a little extra money and still be just as light. but at the same time are the improvements from 10 --> 12 really that noticable and drastic. There's not much in terms of weight but are the other characteristics atually noticable?

Fiery

by Fiery

One is size 54, the other 56... I would choose based on fit first, everything else far behind.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I have both a 10 and a 12; it may be psychological but the 12, in my mind, is a much smoother ride.

Weight wise, there is pretty much nothing between the framesets. One big plus of the 10 is cable routing for Di2 which is much tidier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

Fiery wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 pm
One is size 54, the other 56... I would choose based on fit first, everything else far behind.
The fit isn't an issue for me. Comfort wise I feel the same on both (ridden CAADs and SuperSixs in both 54cm and 56cm before).

Multebear

by Multebear

Fit first. If both sizes fit you, pick the smallest for more aggressive positon options.

But the 10 IMO is becomming a classic. Very iconic. And surpisingly their resale value is still significant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com