2 bolt seat clamp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stewche

by Stewche

Hi,

I have one of these seat post bolts https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-s ... twin-bolt/ I’ve come to adjust my seat height, when I’ve tightened the bolts back up to recommended torque it seems way too tight and the bolts stick all the way through the other side. I tightened them alternatively. Am I doing something wrong?

NickJHP

by NickJHP

If your torque wrench is accurate, should be ok. What is the range of the torque wrench - they are usually most accurate in the middle of their range. If you have a wrench that goes up to 25Nm or 30Nm, then trying to set it accurately at the low end of the scale (ie the 2Nm marked for one of the bolts in your seat collar) can be a bit problematic. I have one wrench that maxes out at 8Nm that I use for low torque bolts and another that maxes out at 25Nm for higher torque bolts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stewche

by Stewche

My torque wrench is calibrated (from work) I started the bottom one at 2nm and the clamp was squeezed shut and I’ve actually crushed my seat post.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

That’s not the recommended torque, that’s the maximum torque.

If it feels tight tight enough and it’s not slipping, then it’s tight enough. You use a torque wrench on a bike to stop you going too far, not because all these disparate components have somehow been designed to work together in every possible combination

Stewche

by Stewche

yep hand tight seems plenty tight enough. My stupid mistake going in with the max torque, new seat post ordered :cry: