Looking for a glue to stick a small patch of bar tape to flat top aero bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Just want two small rectangles where you’d rest your arms praying mantis style. Some really thin tape shouldn’t do too much psychological damage :P

Have Zipp SL 70s, new matte black colour. Don’t want to wreck them for resale with anything too strong. Probably sell them at end of year.

mattr

by mattr

Something like shoegoo will peel off most surfaces when you've had enough of it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Class, cheers mattr, will give it a shot this weekend. Seems to be easy to get hold of :beerchug:

glepore

by glepore

Or mastic one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

As an alternative, there are lots of "adhesive foam pads" with a sticky backing, fashion colors, perhaps more cushioning, etc.

slake21

by slake21

you could try double sided adhesive tape, too

tokyodrift69

by tokyodrift69

I have a bunch of teammates that use the lizard skins finishing tape on the top of their bars.
Trek Emonda ALR (Etap, Ksyrium SLs, Zipp Service Course SL Finishing Kit)
Cervelo P2 (Sram Red 22, Force P2M, H3 Front, Zipp 900 Rear, Parts bin Cockpit)
Focus Mares Disc 2016 (Force 1x, Zipp 303)
Trek Top Fuel 8

Multebear

by Multebear

I've experimented with that as well. Gluing something onto the bars wont work, and it will look like sh*t. Trust me. After my own experiments I've come to the conclusion, that only two things will work and look decent. Either put a piece of butyl tube around the bars, which will be hard to spot, since both are black. Don't glue it on. Pull it on from the bar ends and all the way up. And yes, you will have to remove bartape and hoods. This will give you some friction in order for your arms not to slip.

But even better, and this was the solution I was trying to work around but in the end, I loved it. Just wrap your bartape all the way up to an inch from the stem. Actually doesnt look that bad, and you will be able to ride that position all day due to the comfortable rest for your arms. You'll love it when you surrender yourself to the realization, this is the only thing that really works.

Marin

by Marin

Tennis overgrip tape works well, thin and sticky. I used it for a team TT where bar extensions were illegal.

Pro tip: Use a piece of foam or wood under the tape to make a bump 5cm from the stem to rest your arms against.
Last edited by Marin on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Multebear wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:22 am
I've experimented with that as well. Gluing something onto the bars wont work, and it will look like sh*t. Trust me. After my own experiments I've come to the conclusion, that only two things will work and look decent. Either put a piece of butyl tube around the bars, which will be hard to spot, since both are black. Don't glue it on. Pull it on from the bar ends and all the way up. And yes, you will have to remove bartape and hoods. This will give you some friction in order for your arms not to slip.
In the past, when I've slid inner tube onto things like this, I've found that the talc that is often coating the inside to prevent the tube from stickign to itself causes it to slide around. Assuming that the end user didn't coat the outside of the tube with too much talc, then it will ususally grip better to the bar if turned inside out, but then it leaves your hands on the slippery talc coated surface, which is surprisingly hard to clean adequatly. Did you confront that issue? I've always given up and just wrapped the rubber tube, bartape style, so that both the surface against the bar and the surface against the hands are the un talc coated face.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Marin wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:37 pm
Pro tip: Use a piece of foam or wood under the tape to make a bump 5cm from the bars to rest your arms against.
Do you mean about 5cm from from the stem? If so, that is somethign I have pondered doing, in order to provide a sort of outer edge "cradle" for the forearm, so it's good to hear that it's not just a wacky idea and is actually working for you in the real world. I'd wondered about putting two pieces of foam to make a bump on both the inside and outside of the forearm, but perhaps that isn't needed, as if the arms are going to migrate it'll usually be toward the outside.

Marin

by Marin

From the stem, correct. Fixed it in my post.

chris47

by chris47

That is something i have been doing for quite a while now. I used two pieces of gel padding to make a tiny cup for my forearms. It worked extremely well and i use the praying mantis at least as much as my drops now.
Also it looks as if the gel pieces are far from the stem but it is just because my bar is really narrow: 36cm 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

TheKaiser wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:13 am
Multebear wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:22 am
In the past, when I've slid inner tube onto things like this, I've found that the talc that is often coating the inside to prevent the tube from stickign to itself causes it to slide around. Assuming that the end user didn't coat the outside of the tube with too much talc, then it will ususally grip better to the bar if turned inside out, but then it leaves your hands on the slippery talc coated surface, which is surprisingly hard to clean adequatly. Did you confront that issue? I've always given up and just wrapped the rubber tube, bartape style, so that both the surface against the bar and the surface against the hands are the un talc coated face.
I guess I haven't used inner tubes with talc. Never had the issue you mention. But I see, how it could become a problem. And washing it with washing liquid doesn't solve the problem?