Spec Rouabix to Canyon Ultimate CF SL - Geo help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djbowen99

by djbowen99

I'm looking to move from a 2014 Roubaix SL4 54cm to a Canyon Ultimate but can't figure out to go for a small or medium. I purchased the Roubaix because of the needed head tube length but i can get pretty close with the medium and it appears it's less than 1cm longer than the Roubaix but i feel like i am overlooking something and i dont want to end up with a bike that's too big. i'm on a 80mm stem currently and do feel a tad bunched up.

i know it's a longshot but has anytone done a similar purchase?

Bordcla

by Bordcla

You don't want to end up with a bike that's too long. Nothing more uncomfortable (or painful) than to have to reach for your bars all the time. Other problem with the Canyon is that it comes with proprietary bar/stem combo, and apparently that's not straightforward to swap out for a shorter version if you need to (call Canyon first!).

There are tools like "Velogic fit that can calculate the "effective" stack and reach of your current set-up (taking into account the stack and reach of the frame, plus the number of spacers, headset cap, and the length and angle of the stem), and can compare that with the new frame, taking into account all of the variables.

Essentially, unless your current set-up is higher than you need or shorter than you could comfortably ride, you want to make sure that you could end up with the same X and Y axis measurement on the new frame with a bar and stem combo that would be available/obtainable for you. If that's possible, then it'll fit. If not, then you know!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slake21

by slake21

Bordcla wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:57 am
Other problem with the Canyon is that it comes with proprietary bar/stem combo, and apparently that's not straightforward to swap out for a shorter version if you need to (call Canyon first!).
that's actually not a problem. you can order different sizes from their website and not all versions of CF SL have the aero cockpit anyway.

also you can swap those for a regular stem as long as it's 1 1/4"

djbowen99 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 pm
have you tried Canyon's Positioning System?

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

djbowen99 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 pm
I'm looking to move from a 2014 Roubaix SL4 54cm to a Canyon Ultimate but can't figure out to go for a small or medium. I purchased the Roubaix because of the needed head tube length but i can get pretty close with the medium and it appears it's less than 1cm longer than the Roubaix but i feel like i am overlooking something and i dont want to end up with a bike that's too big. i'm on a 80mm stem currently and do feel a tad bunched up.

Why not go with the Canyon Endurace. It's literally the same frame as the Ultimate with a 1cm taller headtube and sloping top tube. Someone posted a you tube video overlay of both frames and they look identical. Reach and stack are different becuase of the taller head tube. You can switch out the suspension seatpost to a regular one too. Also if you are running an 80mm stem with a 54.8 TT (Roubaix) you are on too big of a frame. I'd go small Endurace/Ultimate with a 100mm stem