Better bike for endurance

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
themidge

by themidge

I'd agree with @calnago et al about your bike being a bit on the small side, and most people shouldn't need a bike fit to be comfortable (more or less) on any bike.
It seems you're pretty new, so I'll just say this: 'You can cruise on a racing bike, but you can't race on a cruising bike.'
In other words, if a bike fits you, it should be comfortable for any distance at any speed.

Calnago

by Calnago

07stuntin6r wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm
Well the frame is a 54 and I'm 5'9. I got the bike from the bike shop who fitted it to me.
Curious if the shop actually even considered putting you on a 56? Did they have both in stock at the time? I think with a setup like that I would have been saying... Hmmm... let's try a 56 here, just for grins... then start asking you which felt better. It seems you could easily be between sizes, but given that you can't get comfortable for long distances, I'm thinking the 56 might have been a better option. I say "might", because all I've got to go on is what you've said on the internet and a picture of your bike.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Calnago wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 pm
Well the frame is a 54 and I'm 5'9. I got the bike from the bike shop who fitted it to me.
Curious if the shop actually even considered putting you on a 56? Did they have both in stock at the time? I think with a setup like that I would have been saying... Hmmm... let's try a 56 here, just for grins... then start asking you which felt better. It seems you could easily be between sizes, but given that you can't get comfortable for long distances, I'm thinking the 56 might have been a better option. I say "might", because all I've got to go on is what you've said on the internet and a picture of your bike.
I can prob go longer distances, I feel the bike fits me pretty good. Just with this frame the headtube is lower than others that I mentioned I'm looking at. Do I NEED another bike prob not, more seat time I'm sure would help. I'm honestly wanting another bike for longer rides that keeps me a little more upright.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Here's a photo of Me trying to figure out where everyone is.

Disregard the goofy face
ImageImage

AJS914

by AJS914

You look alright in those pics. I don't think you need to be more upright. You also have a bunch of spacers under your stem so a frame with a taller headtube won't make much difference unless you are planning on a similar spacer stack.

How are longer rides uncomfortable?

Simple things might help like lower tire pressure, and or wider tires.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've never ridden an Allez, but I've ridden a fair few other Specialized bikes and I find it hard to believe that a 54 is drastically too small for someone that's 5ft9. It could be a tad small, but I can't believe it would make that much of a difference.

To the OP, you appear to be someone that is very strong and maybe has short-twitch strength. I hate to say it but maybe you need to work on your flexibility, endurance and lose some body fat percentage and work on your cardio. If you don't have them you could do with a power meter, heart rate monitor etc and just put in light rides and go to spin classes etc.
Last edited by Lewn777 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago

by Calnago

Hmmm... really hard to tell much from those photos as one is from the front and one is from the back but there isn’t a profile shot from the side which tells so much more when talking about fit.
I don’t think there’s much you can really do with your current bike to make things more comfortable. Probably, as you say, more riding time would be most beneficial but you’re in a catch 22 because longer rides are uncomfortable. You sound like you’re ok with getting a new bike so let the N+1’s begin. When you list the Emonda ALR/S, I would say that would be a great choice but if you could swing it I’d try to leap up to the SL version in H2. You basically get their road race Emonda geometry but with a fairly high headtube. I have one and have nothing but good things to say about it. The Domane would certainly be comfortable but the geometry would feel quite different than the racier feel of the Emonda. And since you’re training to race...
I think other choices might be too similar to your current setup. You’re starting down a road of discovery now, and it can be a long one. But fun as hell. I think you’ve already figured out on your own that you may need something a little more upright and I can’t think of a better choice than the Emonda SL H2 geo. It’s a fun bike and you won’t feel bogged down. The Caad 12 and Tarmac might be too similar to what you have now, although I haven’t given them a close look as to how that applies to your specific case. Anyway, good luck. Finding your ultimate fit is a personal journey so don’t be afraid to experiment. Listen to your body. You’ve got a good starting point.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bilwit

by bilwit

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 pm
So let me start this off by saying I did my first crit the other day and GOT SMOKED!!!! Rode my Allez sprint w/tiagra and could not keep up. Anyways I am looking for a bike I can ride further distances say 30-50mi. I've gone 20 on my current bike, but I want something with a more upright ride height so I can log more miles. I'm looking to stay around 2k pref 105 or ultegra...SRAM if I can find it. My choices so far are below. I'm wanting carbon but a lightweight AL frame I'm not opposed too. Feel free to offer other manufacturers as well. Bianchi, felt, fuji.

Tarmac sl5
Emonda ALR/S
CAAD12
Trek domane [

I don't think a new bike is the difference between 20mi and 50mi.. when people talk about getting endurance-specific bikes they're talking comfort over butt-busting 6+ hour rides at low intensity which is the opposite of the problem described (hanging on in a crit).

Spending money on a sweet new bike and getting an ideal position (which is entirely dependent on your own personal tolerances rather than what a computer algorithm says) is always nice and can't hurt but unless you're getting knee or wrist soreness or other signs of a bad fit then I don't think it's a solution to the problem presented. Improving your power profile tailored for the types of events/courses you do would help magnitudes more than a different bike.
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 pm
I can prob go longer distances, I feel the bike fits me pretty good. Just with this frame the headtube is lower than others that I mentioned I'm looking at. Do I NEED another bike prob not, more seat time I'm sure would help. I'm honestly wanting another bike for longer rides that keeps me a little more upright.

Find what the ideal stack is for your current setup (with as many spacers as it takes), then try to find the frameset and size that comes closest with the least amount of spacers used (ideally no spacers needed for aesthetics). Be also mindful of the the reach which also might change on the frameset when you're doing the comparison.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Lewn777 wrote:I've never ridden an Allez, but I've ridden a fair few other Specialized bikes and I find it hard to believe that a 54 is drastically too small for someone that's 5ft9. It could be a tad small, but I can't believe it would make that much of a difference.

To the OP, you appear to be someone that is very strong and maybe has short-twitch strength. I hate to say it but maybe you need to work on your flexibility, endurance and lose some body fat percentage and work on your cardio. If you don't have them you could do with a power meter, heart rate monitor etc and just put in light rides and go to spin classes etc.
Right! Lifting weights def aren't in my favor

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

bilwit wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 pm
So let me start this off by saying I did my first crit the other day and GOT SMOKED!!!! Rode my Allez sprint w/tiagra and could not keep up. Anyways I am looking for a bike I can ride further distances say 30-50mi. I've gone 20 on my current bike, but I want something with a more upright ride height so I can log more miles. I'm looking to stay around 2k pref 105 or ultegra...SRAM if I can find it. My choices so far are below. I'm wanting carbon but a lightweight AL frame I'm not opposed too. Feel free to offer other manufacturers as well. Bianchi, felt, fuji.

Tarmac sl5
Emonda ALR/S
CAAD12
Trek domane [

I don't think a new bike is the difference between 20mi and 50mi.. when people talk about getting endurance-specific bikes they're talking comfort over butt-busting 6+ hour rides at low intensity which is the opposite of the problem described (hanging on in a crit).

Spending money on a sweet new bike and getting an ideal position (which is entirely dependent on your own personal tolerances rather than what a computer algorithm says) is always nice and can't hurt but unless you're getting knee or wrist soreness or other signs of a bad fit then I don't think it's a solution to the problem presented. Improving your power profile tailored for the types of events/courses you do would help magnitudes more than a different bike.
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Find what the ideal stack is for your current setup (with as many spacers as it takes), then try to find the frameset and size that comes closest with the least amount of spacers used (ideally no spacers needed for aesthetics). Be also mindful of the the reach which also might change on the frameset when you're doing the comparison.
Well with my current setup I don't ha e any issues with wrists etc. Just looking to build up my endurance with some longer rides then use this bike for crit if I ever get to the level of doing it haha

renoracing

by renoracing

It sounds like you need to open a dialogue with your "fitter" and explain to them what your goals are. There is no reason any bike, within reason, shouldn't be comfortable for an hour at a time.
To start with, based on the picture of you from the back, your saddle could handle being lowered by at least an inch... we can see the bottom of your right shoe(meaning you're pointing your toe severely down), and even with that you can tell you're having to rock your hips as they're crooked too.

jih

by jih

I know it's all relative, but 50 miles isn't really all that far. Most regular club rides are more than that, and people do them on everything from sofa-like tourers to full-out racing bikes. That's only a 3 hour ride at moderate pace.

Any bike should be good for 50 miles - just work up to it bit by bit.

It seems a bit backwards to be starting riding crits before getting the fitness to ride 50 miles or so. Around here we'll cover about 45km in our crits in an hour - about 30 miles. So, the crit distance isnt' all that much less than your target 'long ride' distance.

Our Sunday club rides are about 100km average, and we do 160km once a month. Most of us are riding racing bikes in the summer.

So:

* don't worry too much about your fit. So long as it is ok-ish, 50 miles isn't going to kill you
* don't worry too much about the bike. Any bike is fine for this distance.
* just work up to it and you'll be there in no time

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jih wrote:I know it's all relative, but 50 miles isn't really all that far. Most regular club rides are more than that, and people do them on everything from sofa-like tourers to full-out racing bikes. That's only a 3 hour ride at moderate pace.

Any bike should be good for 50 miles - just work up to it bit by bit.

It seems a bit backwards to be starting riding crits before getting the fitness to ride 50 miles or so. Around here we'll cover about 45km in our crits in an hour - about 30 miles. So, the crit distance isnt' all that much less than your target 'long ride' distance.

Our Sunday club rides are about 100km average, and we do 160km once a month. Most of us are riding racing bikes in the summer.

So:

* don't worry too much about your fit. So long as it is ok-ish, 50 miles isn't going to kill you
* don't worry too much about the bike. Any bike is fine for this distance.
* just work up to it and you'll be there in no time
Yeah it was a spur of the moment thing for sure. At least I know what to expect and where I fall.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Change your stem so that your bars are raised a bit. Either flip it if you have a negative angle or get a 17degree or a 25degree. Don't worry about the looks. Getting fit for the bike is not a one time thing. Your body's ability to put out power at different fits changes from time to time. Start with the bars higher and then adjust with time to get more aero and so on.

Do some stretching and ride more on the bike.

To make it comfier look at your tire choice, put wider tires and lower the pressure. Maybe change your seat.

If your bars are too low your pelvis will rotate forward too much which makes it harder to put out power.

Losing a few pounds will also put less pressure on your contact points. You'd be surprised how a small weight difference can feel different.

/a

by Weenie

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

What I don’t get here is that the op hasn’t really given a specific reason why he can’t put in bigger distance on his current bike. Did I miss it? It’s hard to tell from those pictures but your set up doesn’t seem that aggressive to me. How long have you been cycling for on road bikes? If you want a new bike go for it. But it just seems to me that if you get a new bike you’ll have something fresh and shiny which is cool. But really you just need to put some miles in first.