Better bike for endurance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jih wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 am
No I have none
Why don't you join a local cycle club?

No better way to get miles in than to ride with other people to encourage you.
I've tried to look one up. Unfortunately most of the riders around me ride recumbent and trikes lol. I'm near the Florida withlacoochee trail.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Best I could do for now until I get home to show how my feet are clipped in. ImageImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

^ Looks good. Did you ride it like that? If so were you more comfortable?

@Wingguy:
The numbers used to size frames (52, 54, 56, etc.) come from the length of the seat tube (and top tube as well, sometimes), so a frame with an effective seat tube length of about 54cm has a size of about 54. How else does one size a bike using those numbers?
Mine may be designed as an endurance bike, but my position on it is far from 'endurance', so when I compare the front end height and the seat tube length and my saddle height, I can say that if it had a horizontal top tube, it definitely wouldn't be a 52.
I brought up the Allez Sprint because that is definitely what you would call a racing bike, and the 52 in that bike is way too low for me. I could get the same 'racing' position I have currently on my 'endurance' bike on a 54 or even 56 Allez Sprint (with varying degrees of slammage).
This is why I don't really like compact frames, they make everything so much more complicated to talk about.

This is clearly not going to go anywhere helpful, so I won't say any more about it.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

The crux of the matter why you got blown away in your crit is you're still rocking a dork disc, and front wheel backwards :wink:

Seriously, i'd think you are going the wrong way. You dont want to be coming farther up and back, but rotate yourself around your hips to come forwards, instead of literally plonking yourself on the saddle and tring to reach the drops.

Obviously you're quite a big chap, so it might be worth getting some wider bars to allow some room for your chest.

FWIW you should be able to ride 50 miles pretty comfortably on pretty much anything, heck i've done twice that on my track bike!
Official cafe stop tester

jekyll man

by jekyll man

@themidge you're digging yourself into a hole, and wingguy will always make sure he has the last word :wink: , so go and gen up on bike geo and what it actually means..
Official cafe stop tester

jih

by jih

07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:59 pm
I've tried to look one up. Unfortunately most of the riders around me ride recumbent and trikes lol. I'm near the Florida withlacoochee trail.
Really? I have no familiarity with your area, but there's actually a place on earth where recumbents and tricycles are more popular than upright bikes?

I find that very difficult to believe.

Who would have been in the crit if that were the case?

Surely most of the riders in the crit were in the kit of their cycle club? Just join one of those clubs.

wingguy

by wingguy

themidge wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:36 pm
The numbers used to size frames (52, 54, 56, etc.) come from the length of the seat tube (and top tube as well, sometimes), so a frame with an effective seat tube length of about 54cm has a size of about 54.
In the old days, when everything had straight top tubes and quill stems, yeah. Bikes are very different now, and ether real or effective seattube lengths are about the vaguest, least applicable to actual riding position measurements on the whole bike.
How else does one size a bike using those numbers?
How do you think Btwin decided your bike was a 52? Look at the geomerty charts and see if you can find out :D (Actually, that's a bit unfair, the only Btwin geo charts I could see are very low on detail. Maybe look at some other geo charts, the Spesh ones are a lot better as are most big bike companies.)
I brought up the Allez Sprint because that is definitely what you would call a racing bike, and the 52 in that bike is way too low for me. I could get the same 'racing' position I have currently on my 'endurance' bike on a 54 or even 56 Allez Sprint (with varying degrees of slammage).
What length stem do you have on your Btwin? The ETT of the Allez 56 is 25mm longer than your 52. Do you think that means it's genuinely a comparably sized bike?
jekyll man wrote:and wingguy will always make sure he has the last word

:P

jih

by jih

Guys, can we drop the conversation on how frames are measured?

We all agree that modern frame sizing doesn't make much sense, but we have some numbers that are roughly equivalent between makes even though they don't actually measure anything. They used to measure seattube sizes but they've drifted so far from that that now they're a totally abstract number.

And... that's it. It's not really that intersting.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jekyll man wrote:The crux of the matter why you got blown away in your crit is you're still rocking a dork disc, and front wheel backwards :wink:

Seriously, i'd think you are going the wrong way. You dont want to be coming farther up and back, but rotate yourself around your hips to come forwards, instead of literally plonking yourself on the saddle and tring to reach the drops.

Obviously you're quite a big chap, so it might be worth getting some wider bars to allow some room for your chest.

FWIW you should be able to ride 50 miles pretty comfortably on pretty much anything, heck i've done twice that on my track bike!
Dork disk? You mean not being 1x? It felt comfortable to me. I can slightly Bend my elbows when reaching the bars. Only thing I've adjusted was my seat forward a little based off the Marks I made from when I first got fitted.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jih wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:59 pm
Really? I have no familiarity with your area, but there's actually a place on earth where recumbents and tricycles are more popular than upright bikes?

I find that very difficult to believe.

Who would have been in the crit if that were the case?

Surely most of the riders in the crit were in the kit of their cycle club? Just join one of those clubs.
Literally most of the people that came to race were from out of town 90+ minutes away and some from another state.

morrisond

by morrisond

07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:44 pm
jekyll man wrote:The crux of the matter why you got blown away in your crit is you're still rocking a dork disc, and front wheel backwards :wink:

Dork disk? You mean not being 1x? It felt comfortable to me. I can slightly Bend my elbows when reaching the bars. Only thing I've adjusted was my seat forward a little based off the Marks I made from when I first got fitted.

Dork disc is the plastic protector behind your cassette. Not really needed and it saves weight by removing it. It looks dorky - and your front wheel is on backwards - the Quick release levers are usually on the same side. If your tire is unidirectional it was running backwards.

Oh - and Flip your stem up until you can do your 50 miles.

jih

by jih

07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm
Literally most of the people that came to race were from out of town 90+ minutes away and some from another state.
Weird. Here and everywhere I've lived to date most people cycle to crits.

Still sound dubious that recumbents would be more popular than upright bicycles. That's pretty weird.

bultaco370

by bultaco370

Looking at the pictures of you riding, I think your saddle is a bit too high. It looks like your leg is too extended and your toe is pointing downwards too much. This will put a lot of pressure on your perineum (google it) which will become very uncomfortable very quickly, and this is probably the reason you are struggling over distances more than 20 miles. Forget spending money on a new bike or saddle, get the basics right first.

Simply riding longer distances in training does not necessarily translate into racing success, especially in a short distance race like a crit. Most crit races are an hour or less, so quality training will yield the best results. Having said that, building a solid base first is important, but if you only have limited time, focusing on high intensity intervals will be the most effective training for you. An indoor trainer is useful for this type of training, and there is plenty of excellent training advice on the internet. If you can get into a regular schedule, with one longish (approx 30 miles) ride per week at the weekend, plus 2-3 quality based interval sessions during the week, you should lose a few pounds plus your power will go in the right direction.

AJS914

by AJS914

Start with the local bike shops. Ask them were the group pickup rides start from. Ask them who are the local racing teams. They will know.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jih wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm
Weird. Here and everywhere I've lived to date most people cycle to crits.

Still sound dubious that recumbents would be more popular than upright bicycles. That's pretty weird.
Yeah and the trikes I speak of are recumbent ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com