Better bike for endurance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Just got back from my fit. One thing I need to change out he recommended was a handlebar with less reach to my hood. Right now i have these and I'm looking for suggestions on a nice carbon bar to replace them with. Looking around a 10-15mm reduction.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/zipp ... F0MTAwMDkx

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by 07stuntin6r on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zefs

by zefs

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:23 pm
07stuntin6r wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:32 am
Only issues I'm finding now is some lower back pain hopefully due to fit. Ive lowered my seat, stem and added a longer stem and carbon bars as well.
Seriously? You are suffering lower back pain and thought that going lower and longer on the front was the answer?
A too upright position can cause back pain as well, so lowering the front end can be a solution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

zefs wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Only issues I'm finding now is some lower back pain hopefully due to fit. Ive lowered my seat, stem and added a longer stem and carbon bars as well.
Seriously? You are suffering lower back pain and thought that going lower and longer on the front was the answer?
A too upright position can cause back pain as well, so lowering the front end can be a solution.
We raised my seat, stem, added wedges in shoes adjusted cleats. Just need to get shorter reach bars. The sworks shallow drop bars seem they may work if I'm looking at the right measurements. 75mm reach compared to my 84.5 now. Here's a pic of how they look .Image

sennder

by sennder

zefs wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:14 pm
ms6073 wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
I had lower back pain on longer rides on my Trek Domane when I first got it. Moved the stem 1cm lower and much better.

--Sennder
Last edited by sennder on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Just did a 30mile ride today. Minimal lower back issues and overall felt great. I can tell I need a shorter reach on my bars. Got some 70mm reach zipp alum coming shorter to replace my 84.5mm zips. Anyone interested?

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Got my new bars on and wrapped up! Also got fresh tires and got rid of those ones that came with bike. ImageImageImageImage

silvalis

by silvalis

Bit hard to tell from the photo perspective, but it looks like your hood placement on the bars is quite different now - and angled significantly more upwards..
Chasse patate

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

silvalis wrote:Bit hard to tell from the photo perspective, but it looks like your hood placement on the bars is quite different now - and angled significantly more upwards..
Yeah they are closer but they are up too high I need to angle them down more. I noticed after I took the picture

Vermu

by Vermu

Nothing sucks more than pain, when you’re strugling to get cycling started.
Now it’s in the past - enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Vermu wrote:Nothing sucks more than pain, when you’re strugling to get cycling started.
Now it’s in the past - enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, just need to remember to put on the chamois butter as I'm getting pretty raw haha.

silvalis

by silvalis

Maybe get some better shorts too.
Chasse patate

taodemon

by taodemon

Sounds like you just need more miles in general. Try to ride at least twice during the week after work even if they are shorter rides and then do something longer on weekends. For weekend rides if you still haven't been able to find local cycling groups try to find a destination at a halfway point like a coffee shop that has some pastries or something of the sort. You can either ride out and have a coffee and pastry or meet your significant other out there and then ride back or some combination of that.

When I started riding in Feb 2013 even short slow rides felt hard, both from a comfort and fitness standpoint. And it had nothing to do with the bike or my fit or weight, my body simply wasn't used to spending that much time on a bike. I'm talking 20 mile rides at under 14mph where I would feel like I was dying trying (and failing) to keep up with the other riders. At the end of the year I had worked up to 94 mile ride @ 21.9 mph (relatively flat and in a group). Ended up doing 3360 miles that year. No endurance frame or upgrades will substitute saddle time for becoming comfortable on the bike.

Other than getting dropped on the crit you issues riding over 20 miles you haven't mentioned much about your actual riding.

How many miles are you typically riding every week? How many days a week? How long have you been riding regularly?

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

taodemon wrote:Sounds like you just need more miles in general. Try to ride at least twice during the week after work even if they are shorter rides and then do something longer on weekends. For weekend rides if you still haven't been able to find local cycling groups try to find a destination at a halfway point like a coffee shop that has some pastries or something of the sort. You can either ride out and have a coffee and pastry or meet your significant other out there and then ride back or some combination of that.

When I started riding in Feb 2013 even short slow rides felt hard, both from a comfort and fitness standpoint. And it had nothing to do with the bike or my fit or weight, my body simply wasn't used to spending that much time on a bike. I'm talking 20 mile rides at under 14mph where I would feel like I was dying trying (and failing) to keep up with the other riders. At the end of the year I had worked up to 94 mile ride @ 21.9 mph (relatively flat and in a group). Ended up doing 3360 miles that year. No endurance frame or upgrades will substitute saddle time for becoming comfortable on the bike.

Other than getting dropped on the crit you issues riding over 20 miles you haven't mentioned much about your actual riding.

How many miles are you typically riding every week? How many days a week? How long have you been riding regularly?
Thanks for the advice. Right now I try to ride few times a week in the mornings. Between 10-15miles is all I seem to be able to get in before I have to get ready for work. On Saturdays I've been riding 20-30miles. I'm averaging between 15.8-16.7mph average and around 78rpm.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

07stuntin6r wrote:
taodemon wrote:Sounds like you just need more miles in general. Try to ride at least twice during the week after work even if they are shorter rides and then do something longer on weekends. For weekend rides if you still haven't been able to find local cycling groups try to find a destination at a halfway point like a coffee shop that has some pastries or something of the sort. You can either ride out and have a coffee and pastry or meet your significant other out there and then ride back or some combination of that.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I try to ride few times a week in the mornings. Between 10-15miles is all I seem to be able to get in before I have to get ready for work. On Saturdays I've been riding 20-30miles. I'm averaging between 15.8-16.7mph average and around 78rpm.

Also for time I did 30miles in 1hr54min.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Finally getting back into it after a few months away and now I’m getting deployed for 4 months smh!

Anyways just got my power meter and today was my first time using it. Only did what I could cause I needed to make it back in time for work.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by 07stuntin6r on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.