Anyone tried these new "S" brand pedal clones yet?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-NE ... 63687.html

I'm deliberaly not mentioning any brand names here as I don't want to get anyone in trouble as has happened in the past. :thumbup:

This is a classic terribly put together Aliexpress listing, as you obviously wouldn't use these things for MTB, but these pedals are quite light and cheap (when compared to the ones that obviously inspired their design). Besides just knowing that they function and don't fall apart, I'd be interested in knowing if they are fully compatible with the very similar cleats/pedals that we are all familiar with, as I would like to equip an additional bike or two but maintain compatibility with the models I already have on other bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Interesting. Take the plunge and tell us how it goes, if they are good I'd be pretty keen to give them a go. Just a bit more expensive in NZ dollars than US for me to risk it

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

dereksmalls wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:38 pm
Interesting. Take the plunge and tell us how it goes, if they are good I'd be pretty keen to give them a go. Just a bit more expensive in NZ dollars than US for me to risk it
I might just do it, and will certainly be glad to report back if I do. Besides the low weight on these things, the main thing that appeals to me about them is the metal body. Like many people on here, I've had problems with the plastic body on the regular pedals wearing out, so even with new cleats you get lateral rocking. I know there is a legit metal body option, but A. they are super expensive, and B. if I recall correctly there were a number of people on here who had problems with a little ceramic piece in the pedal breaking repeatedly, so they have 2 strikes against them.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

HaHa. Let's see Speedplay's lawyer take on China. I do not approve in any way of theft of intellectual property, counterfeits, copies, rip-offs, etc. However, in Speedplay's case I am willing to make an exception.

I must say they look very good. It should be a nothing task to simpy reverse engineer a product like this. China has proved very adept at this with far more complex items.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Rick

by Rick

Looks like no bearings, just a bushing.

I like bearings better, but I also rode on the old Aerolite pedals for a while, with just a bushing, and they seemed to work OK.

I suspect lawsuits fron s-p are inevitable.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Shouldn't Speedplay's patents for the most part be long expired by now?

mattr

by mattr

bremerradkurier wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:01 pm
Shouldn't Speedplay's patents for the most part be long expired by now?
Probably, but as we've seen before, they don't have that good a grasp of how patents work.

lamphead

by lamphead

OK- I'll admit- I'm intrigued by these pedals. It looks like the cleats that are being sold separately are compatible with the "s" brand, as reviewed by folks that have purchased through the various storefronts. check out the reviews below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/One-Pai ... 3f556t43cD

So- there's a good chance the overall system is "compatible" from a dimension standpoint. I wonder if the bowties are also interchangable for an even lighter pedal.

Has anyone bought and tried them out? How do they compare? And yes- very weight weenie!! :twisted:

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Text deleted - no need for insults. PP

corky

by corky

^ charming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com