Fake Enve stems or bars? (Verdict: Stem definitely fake, probably bars too…)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moyboy

by moyboy

Great eye!
danridesbikes wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:11 pm
fake, the Torque setting on the stem should be 5.5Nm

the bars look ok though, pic below from fairwheel

https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-tqfdy/pr ... 80.jpg?c=2

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

I've contacted Enve, hopefully they'll get back to me shortly with a verdict. If my bars are counterfeit then Enve have a problem as these are very convincing. Even the stem is a lot more convincing than your average Ali Express knockoff, just seems weird that they'd get the physical shape right but screw up on something as simple as the logo (which can be easily stolen from Enve's website).
Last edited by MayhemSWE on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Theres a nice feature with enve bars, stems and posts that makes them fairly unique and it's in the logo. The logo is actually slightly recessed, being that it is lower. If you drag your finger nail onto it, it won't snag a lip as you go from carbon to logo, since your nail will actually drop down into the logo. However when you drag your nail from logo onto the carbon you'll catch a lip because you're stepping up from the logo onto the carbon. It's the reverse of what you'd find with an adhesive decal stuck on the stem.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

madcow wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:46 pm
Theres a nice feature with enve bars, stems and posts that makes them fairly unique and it's in the logo. The logo is actually slightly recessed, being that it is lower. If you drag your finger nail onto it, it won't snag a lip as you go from carbon to logo, since your nail will actually drop down into the logo. However when you drag your nail from logo onto the carbon you'll catch a lip because you're stepping up from the logo onto the carbon. It's the reverse of what you'd find with an adhesive decal stuck on the stem.
Huh, now that's a piece of information I did not know! Performing the nail test on a 2-bolt seatpost (acquired from a different source) it gets a definite pass. The compact bars also pass, which was somewhat of a relief. The stem however does not.

Enve's supportdesk got back to me. Though the serial number on my bars was not found in their systems he still believed the bars were authentic while the stem likely is counterfeit. Their telltale sign is that on a genuine Enve stem the holes where the faceplate bolts thread in should pass all the way through the carbon body, while on counterfeit stems they typically do not. Needless to say my stem did not pass this test either… Strike three.

I guess the next step will be to send a message to the eBay seller and see what kind of explanation he can come up with and then escalate the issue to eBay/PayPal/my credit card company as necessary.

While I have a possible source of the stems on Ali Express I have yet to find any bars on their which have the molded-in bar end plugs. Has anyone seen convincing counterfeit bars? Would love to see a link, Ali seller name or similar if you have.

Should a 2-bolt seatpost have a serial number anywhere? It was bought from a totally different seller and there is nothing about it to indicate that it's fake, except then possibly that I am unable to find a serial number…

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Goddammit… The guy at Enve support hadn't seen counterfeit bars with the end plugs, but there they are. With both items coming from the same seller, the odds are now heavily tilted towards the bars also being counterfeit. Guess I can't do much but present my case to eBay now. :cry: :evil:

ms6073

by ms6073

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:44 pm
Guess I can't do much but present my case to eBay now. :cry: :evil:
I went back and look at the Ebay link you posted earlier in the thread which appears to be of a different stem than the one your original post. That said I am confused, because even if the seller is not offering to accept your return, listing counterfeit items as the genuine article is still a severe violation of Ebay's terms of service for the seller, so typically all you need to do is open a case with Ebay and provide the supporting evidence such as the serial number not being in Enve's database.

Does that really count as a counterfeit since it is nothing more than an open mold bar with Easton logos and Enve style bar ends?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:43 pm
Does that really count as a counterfeit since it is nothing more than an open mold bar with Easton logos and Enve style bar ends?
Here's an interesting question though: If you were to actually order those bars, what would you be receiving? A bar that looks exactly like in those photos, or a bar that looks like the photos but with the addition of an Easton logotype?

If you were to order the version of the bars below, I am quite certain they would arrive bearing the Enve logotypes which seem to have been badly removed through Photoshop:

glepore

by glepore

The last bars linked are interesting, in that the photos appear to depict a bar with the "smart bar" bend that I've not seen from anyone other than enve-these bars are much wider in the drops than at the hoods, and enve measure width at drops.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I recently has a conterfiet problem from an Ebay seller. It was super easy to resolve. After confirming with the manufacturer the product was indeed counterfiet, I called Ebay customer service. They send you a declaration to sign with your affidavit. Within two days I had a refund and was asked to destroy the conterfiet product. They specificlly tell you to not return the item as its illegal to ship counterfiet product in the US.

northwestern

by northwestern

I'd never buy anything Enve, Zipp, Pinarello or other really high end stuff unless from store or official website. These are by far the most faked products on the market.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Easy fix, buy from a reputable online store (if you must) or a local shop (if you can).

I would be more inclined to buy a used Enve item on Ebay than a new one, for issues such as this. There are just too many fakes out there and usualy for about the same price as you can get the real deal from other sources.

I understand that in certain regions and countries avaliability can be an issue though, and sellers exploit this to peddle fakes.

ms6073

by ms6073

I have one as well but it was sourced direct from Enve. I would think the most direct method to determine authenticity would be to contact Enve and provide the serial number of the stem for verification.
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

wingguy

by wingguy

enzomavic wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:16 pm
I have an ENVE stem with white logo which wanna know is it fake too
And?

What are we supposed to do, use our psychic powers to visualise it? :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski