Ordering From Overseas,....

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
4ibanez

by 4ibanez

sungod wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm
are you serious?

you ordered chorus shifters

you received chorus shifters

ffs
This. I rarely keep hold of packaging. I don't buy stuff to not use it.

by Weenie

DJT21

by DJT21

robertbb wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 am
I ordered a set of spare I ordered a set of spare Chorus shifters from Merlin. What showed up was a nondescript OEM box, not the retail one. Of course, I may not end up using these and may want to sell them down the track... and OEM packaging reduces their perceived value. I emailed Merlin and they said they have a mix of retail and OEM, don't and won't specify what they are selling on the site as the picking/packing system is "automated", can't guarantee an exchange for the retail version. I promptly returned them for a refund, but have been told they won't cover return shipping at all despite their description failing to state that items may be OEM. Return shipping to the UK ran me AU$50... so I'm down $50 for the whole experience. I escalated to a "manager", who politely told me to go get f*cked.

DO NOT BUY FROM MERLIN CYCLES.
It's ALL about the bike.
It sounds like it's all about the box!

northwestern

by northwestern

If you order from any german site (including starbike) you get DHL tracking so you can see where your package is at all times. Only when packages are sent by regular mail, you lose the ability to track once stateside.

RussellS

by RussellS

beanbiken wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:21 am
I have also purchased from the above listed sellers amd a few more, generally retail packaging but not always [Ribble] but as per RussellS it's the part in the box or bag that counts..
I've bought tires from Nashbar and many of the European sellers. Most tires did not come in a nice box like you see in the bike shops stacked neatly on shelves. Most came with a rubber band around the middle. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't care. They sit in the basement until needed just fine. Have bought shorts from various places. They always come in clear plastic bags, WITHOUT the pretty cardboard placard stapled to the bag with the Pearl Izumi name on it. Don't care. I just put the shorts in the drawer and use them.

robertbb

by robertbb

4ibanez wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:06 pm
sungod wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm
are you serious?

you ordered chorus shifters

you received chorus shifters

ffs
This. I rarely keep hold of packaging. I don't buy stuff to not use it.
I bought these as spares... with a view to being able to sell them if I don't end up using them. Harder to do that in a nondescript brown box.

Anyway, I ordered a retail product, not an OEM product. "OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. In this case, however, the acronym isn't commenting on who sells the product as much as who the product is meant to be sold to. OEM hardware and software is packaged for distribution to companies who build systems."

If they are selling OEM items, they need to call it out and let the consumer decide. If they are even allowed to be selling direct to public to begin with. I asked them to refund the postage and they refused. I even suggested just a voucher to put towards my next purchase.... they simply ignored me.

Either way, another UK store matched the reduced price and a week later I got a set in proper retail packaging. Guess which store I'll be ordering from in the future... you just don't treat customers like that if you want to keep them.
It's ALL about the bike.

RobertBB's CyclePlanner Spreadsheet:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 8&t=152263

tabl10s

by tabl10s

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:40 am
TonyM wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:22 am
ParisCarbon wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:05 am
Where were you ordering to country wise.. lots of times ordering from overseas if it gets dumped in the actual mail (ie not Fedex, UPS, DHL) the item will not track... I ordered a jersey and short set from Belgium, they threw it in the mail to Canada, sent me all the tracking info, and the only track I ever saw was that it left Belgium for destination country.. My friend works for Canadapost and literally told me oh we have a secondary tracking system.. told me it was out for delivery.. when I got home there it was... To this date if I track it on the Belgian Post site it still shows it was not delivered 3 months ago!
I track it via the postal service of the country of origin as well as in the Canada Post tracking system
As soon as it arrives in Canada, the tracking in the Canada Post system is accurate.
All depends on how the shipper sent the item... mine was sent to Canada via registered... registered mail sits different in the Canada post tracking world.. anything Ive ever ordered from ribble to canada always tracks with the parcelforce or royalmail tracking the sent.... Im guessing the original poster had his item sent registered with a signature required, and the US postal system has the same internal only tracking system..

Also on a sidenote..if you are ordering to Canada say from sigmasport or similar, they give you the option to pay the taxes up front... do not do this!! My package arrived via DHL from Sigma and the taxes I owed were half of what the site was trying to charge me if I prepaid!
I just ordered a seat clamp from the Berk on Sunday and tax was added to the price. It went from $99.28USD to $102 and change. Not bad.
2016 Orbea Orca OMR:

15.2lbs/6.89kg.

2013 Wilier Zero.7:

13.04lbs/5.91kg.

2016 Rca:

11.07lbs/5.048kg.

2015 Pinarello F8(build in-process).