Anyone run 54-42 Cranks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I got a phenominal deal on brand new 2016 Zipp 808's for $1,100 that came with a new Dura Ace cassette and also new Conti 4000 SII tires, though no tubes :cry: I had no need for these wheels but could not pass on the deal. The rider, a female British world Ironman 70.3 champion is sponsored by Trek/Bontrager and could not use the wheels, hence the sale.
I decided to put these 808's on my 2016 Specialized Allez Sprint DSW bike. Right now the bike rides on DA 9150 with a 52-36 mid-compact. I was thinking, since this is my third bike, perhaps making it more Tri/TT and swapping out the current mid compact to a 54-42 to go with the 808's. What do you think? Will the bike be practical or just a cool looking Uber Fred bike :shock: ?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

I just got Dege's Domane from last season. The last race it ran was Paris-Roubaix and it is set-up with 54-42. For most of my racing life I ran 53-42, so it kind of feels like 'going home', to me. Depending upon the terrain you are in and the cassette you run, you should be just fine.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok Geoff... you simply cannot continue to obtain these prior years pro bikes and not post pics with a bit of writeup. It’s simply not fair. :). Now damnit... learn how to post a pic or two in this forum or none, not a single one, of those bikes you speak of ever happened.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok. I'll get one of those accounts after Opening Day (Kershaw vs. Bumgarner).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Flickr
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ