Campagnolo 12-Speed

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

LewisK wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:04 pm
gigantor wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:03 am
DaveS wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:09 pm
The 12 speed thumb button will loosen up after awhile. Don't sweat it.
Nice to hear that the old saying that I've heard:
"Campag wears in, Shimano wears out"
still holds true.. 👍
Campagnolo absolutely gets better with age. It's like a fine wine 👍
Def agree.. the recent problems Ive had have been the mech 11spd shift internals breaking... but in all honesty they are 5-7 years old now and I use them on the trainer so they are constantly getting beaten on... good thing is that there are replacement parts for them!

upacs

by upacs

HammerTime2 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:29 pm
LewisK wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:04 pm
Campagnolo absolutely gets better with age. It's like a fine wine 👍
I have 10 speed G springs, and mouse ears, which say otherwise.
I have two sets of Record 10 speed levers (one on winter bike now, one on trainer), both > 14yrs old. Both still working perfectly (after replacing hoods a few times). The ones on the winter bike have easily more than 60,000 Km on them, riden through sun, rain, gales, hale, snow and what have you. May be I got lucky, but damn...

DaveS

by DaveS

Unlike the old 10 speed pre-ultra shift, few repair parts are offered for later models. If a lever quits working, you have to buy a whole new body, pre-assembled and install your brake lever and hood. It's still better than the other brands.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

DaveS wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Unlike the old 10 speed pre-ultra shift, few repair parts are offered for later models. If a lever quits working, you have to buy a whole new body, pre-assembled and install your brake lever and hood. It's still better than the other brands.
Yep.. the biggest PITA is getting the hood on and off... the actual transfer of parts is a matter of minutes.. those brake hoods though... :evil: :twisted:

Gutsyfungus

by Gutsyfungus

Gutsyfungus wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 pm
DaveS wrote: There should be no difference between record and chorus. If set up properly, only one click moves the chain from the small ring to the large. Then there is no cable travel left. From that position, there is on click of the thumb lever available to trim the cage to the left. A second click of thumb lever will shift to the little ring. After the thumb button is released a final trim click if available to prevent rub with the two largest sprockets.
This was my thinking... I've been tinkering around trying to establish what the problem is...
It would appear the paddle return is faulty. It doesn;t return fully and reset the internal rachet. I've checked the seating of the cable endstop in the shifter. That's good too.
Took me the best part of the morning and yesterday evening to work out what was going on.
Shifting is beatiful apart from the, "reverse paddling", for it to work correctly.
Reverse paddling isn't something I'd consider a great feature. :roll:

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqawCby1lE[/YouTube]

I've made a video and my vendor is having a look at it so we should have some resolution soon enough.
These things happen from time to time. I'm chilled.

Fungus
The replacement shifter arrived today. 12 day turnaround time. I guess that's around typical of a larger vendor.

I have had better customer service. But I have had a lot LOT worse.
The good news, I retained the original hydraulic hose fitting.
The replacement has a new 2m hose fitting.

So, I'd call that a result. I do need a new one to remove the old fully integrated cockpit on the Record equipped bike and put a conventional stem and bar arrangement on there.
All good...

Let's hope it works.
Off to the workshop. Have a great day.

Fungus

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Any rumors about EPS groupsets? Will the electronic shifting be availible for Super Record only?

It´s a bit too expensive, but I´d consider Record or Chorus 12s EPS if priced accordingly.

pmprego

by pmprego

Gutsyfungus wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 pm
If you are going hydrauluc disc brake, I would add the fillowing tips....

1. Cut the hose length as long as you can get away with... if you need to recut as a result if a feckup, changing your integrated headset, or any other variety of reasons....if you run out of length then you are looking at replacing the hose...OEM hose is damned expensive.

Fungus
Sorry to go off topic but one question to someone that is far from a mechanic.

If I have my disc hoses within the handlebar and decide to change handlebar, given that I (or the bike shop, not me) have to unplug the hoses from the shifters in order to remove the cables from within one handlebar and onto the other, does it mean that the cables have to be cut? So, in practice making them shorter?

It is not just rebleeding the brakes. One has to really cut the hoses?

Thanks!

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:37 pm
Any rumors about EPS groupsets? Will the electronic shifting be availible for Super Record only?

It´s a bit too expensive, but I´d consider Record or Chorus 12s EPS if priced accordingly.
There were no information about lower tier EPS groupsets arriving, rather the contrary.
Very vague, totally unconfirmed rumors are that some kind of follow-up to EPS is in the making, maybe with some kind of wireless and changing some of the EPS principles (like the operating voltage). This surely will not be cheap, and will probably appear at SR level initially.
An electrical version of the Ekar 1x groupset is also expected, and may be the closest to release - it may use the new platform, but may also be based on the old EPS system, there were no leaks about it.
Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s

Gutsyfungus

by Gutsyfungus

pmprego wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:46 pm
Gutsyfungus wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 pm
If you are going hydrauluc disc brake, I would add the fillowing tips....

1. Cut the hose length as long as you can get away with... if you need to recut as a result if a feckup, changing your integrated headset, or any other variety of reasons....if you run out of length then you are looking at replacing the hose...OEM hose is damned expensive.

Fungus
Sorry to go off topic but one question to someone that is far from a mechanic.

If I have my disc hoses within the handlebar and decide to change handlebar, given that I (or the bike shop, not me) have to unplug the hoses from the shifters in order to remove the cables from within one handlebar and onto the other, does it mean that the cables have to be cut? So, in practice making them shorter?

It is not just rebleeding the brakes. One has to really cut the hoses?

Thanks!
My take on it is as follows... (I've fitted a few but am no pro bike mech. Just a garden variety rocket engineer)

Depends... if the "passages" inbetween your handlebar can accomodate the hose-end (i.e. the photo in the attachment....feck knows if I uploaded it correctly). FLip the front top end of your hood and you will see the fitting (Take care if you undo the hose end....manual says it's a scredriver fitting...it's not, it's a tiny torx fitting)

If it can then no cutting.
If it can't then the hose needs to be clipped by circa 10mm at the caliper end, new barb re-inserted and new olive then compression fitted.

If you had the right tools and the patience I might imagine someone trying to grolly/precision cut the olive off at the caliper end...but....not sure about that after it's been compression fitted during installation. Sounds a bit shakey to me. Sounds like something I might attempt out of curiousity. Tssst.

Hence it's a good idea to have surplus on your build.
And why I'm happy a spare one came into my possession; I have no spare length on my Record groupset and my passages are too small. And I want to move away from the integrated handlebar/stem/internal routing combo I have.

I'd be interested in sourcing aftermarket hose or an inline connector....Surely there is something somewhere?

Good Luck

Fungus
Attachments
hose end.jpg
hose end.jpg (4.31 KiB) Viewed 464 times

maxim809

by maxim809

Does anyone know if there are instructions out there on how to take apart, clean, and rebuild a Campy 12spd shifter (rim)?
Currently building a: Basso Diamante

Gutsyfungus

by Gutsyfungus

Pricey for the hose...though it has been creeping down in price over the last 12 to 18 months
hose prices.jpg

simbikotic

by simbikotic

1. Does anyone have a rear hydraulic caliper (140mm) that they would like to sell?
2. Does anyone want to buy a new unused front hydraulic caliper (160mm)?
:)

DaveS

by DaveS

maxim809 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 pm
Does anyone know if there are instructions out there on how to take apart, clean, and rebuild a Campy 12spd shifter (rim)?
Try youtube. I took a very early ultrashift lever apart in 2008. There are so few parts, it wasn't difficult to put it back together. If there are any broken parts, there are no spares sold.

I just googled campagnolo ultrashift overhaul and found a video. There should be little difference between the older models and 12 speed.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

DaveS wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:22 pm
maxim809 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 pm
Try youtube. I took a very early ultrashift lever apart in 2008. There are so few parts, it wasn't difficult to put it back together. If there are any broken parts, there are no spares sold.

I just googled campagnolo ultrashift overhaul and found a video. There should be little difference between the older models and 12 speed.
+1 Gloriously simple internals. I did this with an old Veloce 10 sp. I have Record 12sp but too new to warrant doing this operation. However it looks to be a similar design. All the internals are mounted on a single bolt that can be undone from the back. You have to carefully note the order as you pull parts off the bolt shaft. The only slightly tricky bit is the spring. This is tensioned by locating the tip in a hole in the plastic casing. It can be pushed out of the hole from the outside. Note the orientation of the spring and how much tension (half a wind IIRC) so you can put it back correctly.

maxim809

by maxim809

Thanks for the tips. Found a few videos from 10yrs ago and it looks simple enough. My right shifter's thumb lever sometimes gets jammed, which requires upshifting then trying the thumb lever again. Only happens in one of the middle shifts. Been wanting to open it up to see if something's jammed inside.
Currently building a: Basso Diamante