Campagnolo 12-Speed

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
hotskillet

by hotskillet

May be a tad off-topic but can anyone confirm if Campy 12 Crankset chainring spacing and/or thickness is any narrower than 11? E.G is any branded 11 speed 2X Crankset compatible. I see what the manufacturers say but what is the physical/mechanical differences ?

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

for those who did internal routing - for the maximum smoothness shifter housing - do you just run the housing to cover the exposed parts or the entire internal route?

If the latter, can't seem to find any lengths of the maximum smoothness other than what comes with cable/shifter housing set...

guidance would be appreicated...tx

skidrrr

by skidrrr

rudye9mr wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm
for those who did internal routing - for the maximum smoothness shifter housing - do you just run the housing to cover the exposed parts or the entire internal route?

If the latter, can't seem to find any lengths of the maximum smoothness other than what comes with cable/shifter housing set...

Just the exposed part ofc

DaveS

by DaveS

12 speed rings are about 0.1mm thinner at the teeth. Spacing is probably a hair different too. If you have a good 11 crank, it will most likely work with a Campy 12 chain, but maybe not the narrower AXS. A Campy 12 crank will work with either chain and so will the cassettes.

Someone posted a pic of the AXS chain that didn't mesh with an 11 speed aftermarket chainring at all.

ico

by ico

skidrrr wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:36 pm
rudye9mr wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Just the exposed part ofc
It depends on frame design.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Thanks.

Can anyone point me to where i might be able to find longer sections of the maximum smoothness housing other than what comes standard in the kit?

wilwil

by wilwil

Interesting. Ive always been told the inside route is better than the outside. I have always used the inside route on 10 11 and 12 speed. Ive tried both ways on the C64 of routing the cables. I didnt like the way the cable loops stuck out when crosssing cables in the downtube. So I settled on the other way with frame protectors to protect the headtube. I have had a 12 speed cable fray though in the shifter. My 12 speed SR has started playing up by not changing to the smallest sprocket easily (with new cables). I have fixed it by changing the mech hanger to a Pilo version. The Colnago one is too soft and kept on bending inwards after 7000 miles.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:55 am
Thanks.

Can anyone point me to where i might be able to find longer sections of the maximum smoothness housing other than what comes standard in the kit?
FYI, the housings didn't change, so any good lined housing should work. But, I think it's important that you use the low friction cable ends.

SmP

by SmP

hotskillet wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:34 pm
May be a tad off-topic but can anyone confirm if Campy 12 Crankset chainring spacing and/or thickness is any narrower than 11? E.G is any branded 11 speed 2X Crankset compatible. I see what the manufacturers say but what is the physical/mechanical differences ?
I run 11s Campagnolo SR crankset with 12s SR EPS. Delivery of Stages SR 12s powermeter was delayed, so I installed 11s SRM Campagnolo powermeter, tested and leaved it on the bike. Works great, no issues.

Prawn

by Prawn

Anyone tried Deda Alanera bars with 12-speed mechanical? I'm wondering if internal routing of shift cables would be practical with these bars. On my Deda Superleggera bars, internal brake cable routing is fine but getting the shift cables inside is not possible.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

joeyb1000 wrote:
rudye9mr wrote:
Thanks.

FYI, the housings didn't change, so any good lined housing should work. But, I think it's important that you use the low friction cable ends.
They did. The outer casing is more flexible to cope with tighter routing on modern frames & bars that have internal routing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

rudye9mr wrote:
Thanks.

And I would say that for my large frame, doing around the head tube routing, the actual cable is just long enough to reach the rear D but not much more.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

My apologies if this has been covered before. Considering the length of the thread it probably has!

Looks like I may be getting a new frameset soonish and I'd be interested in trying out Campagnolo again. Ideally I'd like to run a Campagnolo crankset or at least original chanrings. I would however also like a crank based power meter, which unfortunately seems to make all available options ridiculously expensive.

SRM is out of the question. Power2Max also seems stupidly expensive compared to all their other crank options, does Campagnolo overcharge for their loose crank arms or what is the issue here? Stages seems much too expensive for a single arm meter. 4iiii does seem a bit more affordable but only lists Super Record crank compatibility, while I'd probably settle for Chorus…

Are there any options I have missed? Are there any third party chainrings claimed to be compatible with Campagnolo 12 speed or tried and tested as good enough by the population here? Thinking of maybe going with the cheapest Power2Max branded arms, made by Rotor, together with Rotor's standard round chainrings.

Which chains aside from Campagnolo's own is currently considered the best option? I really cannot be arsed getting an expensive tool and fiddling with rivets. I would consider an original chain with a third party quick link, but from what I've read so far none of them seems to be a particularly good match.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Re chain links - there were people using Wippermann Connex and original Campagnolo chain. Also someone used AXS chain with dedicated link and was happy with the outcome. You should be able to dig these reports out of the forum archive.

No idea about PM, though.
Last edited by gorkypl on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s

nismosr

by nismosr

anyone know where to get the best deal on ala carte buying it ? I really miss Ribble when they use to carry Campagnolo they are one of the cheapests to get them.
Colnago C64 Mapei - Campagnolo SR11 EPS - Campagnolo Bora WTO 60 - P2Max
3T Strada Due - Sram Force AXS Etap
Basso Diamante - Campagnolo SR11 EPS - Lightweight Meilenstein - P2Max