Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NickB

by NickB

Maybe Potenza 11 still made? Plenty out there.

On the gearing I've always wanted approx 5 inches (one tooth) changes between 60inches and 100. The Sram 11-28 ratios do this nicely because of the 16 but running 11-32 (Centaur or Sram) means using small small which all mine can manage. Shimano really don't seem to get this except for the 11-30, their cassettes are weird to say the least.
Can't wait to get 12 speed but have three sets of Potenza which are proving to be very solid, I can live with the single downshift, not an issue.
Have succesfully made some Miche hybrids too, good to fiddle about

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shmitt

by Shmitt

I have a question for experienced users, the new bike will have direct mount campagnolo brakes from the latest version. Will this type of brake be able to accommodate a 27.6 [mm] wide rim? I am thinking of buying a Duke Baccara C SLS2 rim - hence the question.

usr

by usr

Potenza disappeared about the time Ekar showed up I think (well, actually more goggled than think)

Do the Potenza powershift last? Athena shifters didn't last at all, but few people complained because it was such a convenient excuse to upgrade to Chorus shifters (these days availability would be an issue, such a shame they didn't trickle ultrashift to the "one cog less" holdout group)

Shmitt

by Shmitt

I have a question for experienced users, the new bike will have direct mount campagnolo brakes from the latest version. Will this type of brake be able to accommodate a 27.6 [mm] wide rim? I am thinking of buying a Duke Baccara C SLS2 rim - hence the question.

usr

by usr

Shmitt wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:06 pm
DM brakes definitely look as if wheels division failed to give brakes division a heads-up about rim width trends (or that brakes division failed to understand the message).

But 27.6 should still be doable. I measure my WTO at 26.0 and while the brakes do look rather stretched I don't think that they are that close to their limits.

robertbb

by robertbb

usr wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:17 pm
Potenza disappeared about the time Ekar showed up I think (well, actually more goggled than think)

Do the Potenza powershift last? Athena shifters didn't last at all, but few people complained because it was such a convenient excuse to upgrade to Chorus shifters (these days availability would be an issue, such a shame they didn't trickle ultrashift to the "one cog less" holdout group)
No personal experience here, but, the Campagnolo media/copy suggests Potenza HO shifters were redesigned with a new material in the guts to improve the reliability.

JohnHP

by JohnHP

joeyb1000 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am
JohnHP wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:30 am
joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:09 am
JohnHP wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:48 am
Anyone know if it's possible to get the maximum smoothness inner shift cable only? Thinking of changing my cable routing and I don't want to throw out the outers that are only 7 months old.
Yes
Great! I'll keep looking since I have only been able to find the full kits. Endeavor to persevere and all that... :thumbup:
Where are you located?
US. North Carolina

NickB

by NickB

Cyle Clinic still list Potenza, maybe old stock but options listed. As for reliabilty had 4 sets of s/h levers with zero issues but maybe I struck lucky? Did own Centaur which seemed lighter to operate on the rear but mech was a bit Tomy Toy IMHO. All my Potenza's have Centaur front mech as I really cannot see any difference.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

JohnHP wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:54 am
joeyb1000 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am
JohnHP wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:30 am
joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:09 am

Yes
Great! I'll keep looking since I have only been able to find the full kits. Endeavor to persevere and all that... :thumbup:
Where are you located?
US. North Carolina
Sent PM

micky

by micky

Question for the experts; Im checking my chain trying to understand if it's time to put on a new one.
According to Campagnolo manuals, it's expected between 3.000 and 8.000 kms of life, depending on how slow you're on a bike.
At the same time they say to check the distance between 6 links which should not be over 132.6mm.
Beside the fact that Im in Vicenza, the only calibre I have arrive at 120something mm; how do you guys decide to change chain?
I tried to use an old ParkTool chain tool I have but no idea if I can rely on that.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Before I started waxing my chains I was using My Gear on Strava where you can track the mileage on each component and I would typically change out my chain at 4000km. Now that I am rotating two chains for waxing I have been using my Pedros Chain stretch tool which seems to be relatively accurate. In the past I would go through two chains in 1.25 year on my main road bike. So I know 2 chains will get me pretty far.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

AJS914

by AJS914

I've in a similar quandry about changing my current chain. I have two years on my current chain - approximately 10k miles or 16k km.

In the past, I've always used my Park chain checker and would swap the chain after it hit the .5 wear mark. Usually this would be around 3-4k miles.

I started using Smoove, drip on wax, and this last time I installed it extremely well with an immersion method. I haven't been caught out in the rain nor is it dusty around here so the chain has lived a relatively contamination free life. I've read about the extended life you can get with waxing and now I guess I'm seeing it.

At 10k miles I'm still not at the .5 wear mark on the Park gauge. Do I keeping going until I hit .5 or pre-emptively change it out?

(Note: I did just buy a Pedros chain checker so I could more accurately measure the wear but I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. It also seems like it would help to measure the chain when new.)

Llanberis

by Llanberis

AJS914, you cannot use Park Tool gauge or any others', as it wil give you misleading result. For Campag cahin, you need to stick with using a caliper to measure chain link gap (max. 132.6 mm, but I know some people waited until reaching 132.8 mm to change).

This is mine with approx. 750 km on it.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 16.37.41.png
Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 16.48.40.png

AJS914

by AJS914

I understand that Campagnolo says to do it that way but why does that mean that a Park or, more accurate Pedros style chain checker is not valid?

micky

by micky

ONLY 750kms? :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com