Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

naavt wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:01 am
Anyone here awaiting for EPS 12S?

I've put an order on the first days of january this year and I'm still waiting with no ETA :(
My friend got a group by piecing stuff together from various vendors... PITA for sure, but he got what he needed...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

naavt wrote:Anyone here awaiting for EPS 12S?

I've put an order on the first days of january this year and I'm still waiting with no ETA :(
Yes. I put my order in for Super Record EPS 12s Disc somewhere around mid-February. I was waiting for the new calipers to become available. My Campy dealer has told me it has finally shipped. One source told me the EPS charging unit was holding up some orders and that the EPS rim was more readily available due to lower demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

usr

by usr

I've recently spent a week on my trusty 11s Athena/Chorus (not that trusty actually, but that's a different story) and returning to the 12s Record (mechanical) I've noticed that I get *far* more of the "insufficient thumb press" blocks. I occasionally get these on 11s as well, but I notice it far more often on 12s. Is that something others have witnessed as well or is that my particular setup?

What I mean with "the insufficient thumb press block" is that sometimes I seem to be a bit undecided when shifting to a smaller cog and don't press the button all the way like I should and then the thumb button is blocked until I operate the big lever to release the block. No need to actually shift, but a considerable part of the travel until it would shift. Is that something others experience as well or is it just me? It also happens on 11s but much less frequently.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

usr wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:00 pm
I've recently spent a week on my trusty 11s Athena/Chorus (not that trusty actually, but that's a different story) and returning to the 12s Record (mechanical) I've noticed that I get *far* more of the "insufficient thumb press" blocks. I occasionally get these on 11s as well, but I notice it far more often on 12s. Is that something others have witnessed as well or is that my particular setup?

What I mean with "the insufficient thumb press block" is that sometimes I seem to be a bit undecided when shifting to a smaller cog and don't press the button all the way like I should and then the thumb button is blocked until I operate the big lever to release the block. No need to actually shift, but a considerable part of the travel until it would shift. Is that something others experience as well or is it just me? It also happens on 11s but much less frequently.
Hmm I - maybe - had the same thing once on Veloce 10sp - never had it on 12sp. In my case the problem was that the central bolt that holds the shifter mechansim together had loosened leading to imperfect alignment of parts when shifting. Tightening the bolt resolved the issue. Maybe try that. Also curious to know if you add lubricant to your shifters? I suspect that over-lubrication led to the loosening in my case.

If that's not your problem then I would guess there is high cable drag somewhere - consider refreshing the cables (inner and outer)...

usr

by usr

High cable drag is a bit of a given considering that I'm currently running that Jagwire in lieu of grotesquely priced TMS and there's already a tiny bit of "aero tax" on the cable (sharp bend under the Canyon CP36). The 11s bike has glorious external wire runs (last year to feature fully external iirc)

The shifter mechanism has never seen any aftermarket lubricants added, and I'd expect may of those parts to be riveted instead of screwed on 12s compared to 10s, considering the unavailability of individual spares (I might be very wrong about this).

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Campy go to great lengths to say their 12s groupsets are very very cable sensitive. Now some of this is no doubt marketing for their high profit margin cable sets, but some of it is also true.

In particular the radius of cable bends needs to be quite large to ensure smooth shifting. I'm using uncoated Campy cables with Campy outers and they are fine.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ccie6872

by ccie6872

What is the main difference between EP21-SRD12LF6EPS and EP19-SRD12LF6EPS shifters. I assume the EP21 is a new version but is there any notable differences?

simbikotic

by simbikotic

usr wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:39 pm
High cable drag is a bit of a given considering that I'm currently running that Jagwire in lieu of grotesquely priced TMS and there's already a tiny bit of "aero tax" on the cable (sharp bend under the Canyon CP36). The 11s bike has glorious external wire runs (last year to feature fully external iirc)

The shifter mechanism has never seen any aftermarket lubricants added, and I'd expect may of those parts to be riveted instead of screwed on 12s compared to 10s, considering the unavailability of individual spares (I might be very wrong about this).
Oh. Interesting. For reference I also run Jagwire (outers, but TMS inners) on my Record 12sp. As I said before I have not experienced these issues on 12 speed, but I think the inners might be a big deal as the're impregnated with something (PTFE?). Also the bolt I was referring to is present on the 12sp mechanical (albeit upgraded to star-hex). Big ol' bolt going right trough the centre of the mechanism, can't miss it.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ccie6872 wrote:What is the main difference between EP21-SRD12LF6EPS and EP19-SRD12LF6EPS shifters. I assume the EP21 is a new version but is there any notable differences?
EP21 has calipers made in house rather than by Magura and uses the same fluid as Ekar.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

naavt wrote:

I ordered mine on the same month. I recently got an email saying the parts were in. Sadly when I showed up to get them, the power unit was not there and they sold me the wrong interface . I got a word back after a week and there is no ETA on those parts.

I'm in the same boat. Fortunately, I do not need the EPS12 so I'm not too stressed out. I suspect the only option you have is to ask for your money back or keep waiting. I have found yelling does you no good. When it arrives, it will arrive. It is sad that I got an email from Campagnolo saying I should buy the same stuff that won the TdF. Not certain if marketing knows that they have none to sell.

nismosr

by nismosr

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:54 am
ccie6872 wrote:What is the main difference between EP21-SRD12LF6EPS and EP19-SRD12LF6EPS shifters. I assume the EP21 is a new version but is there any notable differences?
EP21 has calipers made in house rather than by Magura and uses the same fluid as Ekar.

but can you still use the blue right, the one that came on the newer one is Red.
I flushed out the red and used the blue blood by campagnolo.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

naavt

by naavt

Butcher wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:52 pm
naavt wrote:

I ordered mine on the same month. I recently got an email saying the parts were in. Sadly when I showed up to get them, the power unit was not there and they sold me the wrong interface . I got a word back after a week and there is no ETA on those parts.

I'm in the same boat. Fortunately, I do not need the EPS12 so I'm not too stressed out. I suspect the only option you have is to ask for your money back or keep waiting. I have found yelling does you no good. When it arrives, it will arrive. It is sad that I got an email from Campagnolo saying I should buy the same stuff that won the TdF. Not certain if marketing knows that they have none to sell.

What interface have you asked? Handlebar or frame?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I originally asked for a handlebar and received a stem mount.

Miller

by Miller

usr wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:00 pm
My gravel bike has 12sp Chorus and I do experience this phenom occasionally, it's a minor irritation. Other than that the shifting is faultless. But when I think about it, I noticed the same blocking effect years ago with 10sp and maybe even 9sp.

On the other hand, I ran 11sp Potenza for years with the escape mechanism and that simply does not exhibit the same trait. Tbh I wish the 12sp Chorus had the escape mechanism, the inner tab is more comfortable and the shift is super reliable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

nismosr wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:54 am

but can you still use the blue right, the one that came on the newer one is Red.
I flushed out the red and used the blue blood by campagnolo.
While you can use the older Magura oil, why would you? Kind of a backwards step.