Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

All chains don't wear in the same manner. Some show actual elongation, which is a change in pitch, beyond the original 0.500 inch, quickly, while Campy chains do not. I've used a Campy chain for 6,000 miles and accurately measured a small fraction of the allowable 0.5%. The rollers were extremely worn at that point, mostly on the hole in the roller. Campy's recommendation combines the two types of wear and so do most chain checkers. I think that Campy's recommendation is very conservative and sells lots of chains.

I avoid this issue by using several chains in a rotation, so I'm not changing chains prematurely in an attempt to avoid new-chain skip. I have two bikes and 8 chains rotated between them. Whenever I think that they're all really worn out, the chains and cassettes will be laid to rest. I alternate chains about every 1000km.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

@micky - Do you mean it looks worn already? It's a new chain I have just put on, but then I changed the set-up and am waiting for new wheels..

@ AJS914 - This may answer your question:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88842&p=768419&hili ... ar#p768419

Edit: DaveS replied before I did. :P

@DaveS - Did you use other manufacturers' quick link kind of thing? I use pin and Campag said they don't recommend breaking the chain more than 3 times so that kind of made rotation impossible without a quick link..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

I've used sram eagle quick links. Shimano xt links should work, as should the xt chain.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Any rumors re: new products? I'm guessing that, based on sales, Ekar-family products will get a lot of love, but the successor group(s) to EPS must be in the oven, and perhaps Ekar style 'C' buttons for road shifters, new derailleur designs as per recent patents, etc etc.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

Miller

by Miller

gwerziou wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:13 pm
Any rumors re: new products? I'm guessing that, based on sales, Ekar-family products will get a lot of love, but the successor group(s) to EPS must be in the oven, and perhaps Ekar style 'C' buttons for road shifters, new derailleur designs as per recent patents, etc etc.
It does feel like some big announcements should be in the pipeline, doesn't it. There should be next-gen EPS, perhaps road 13-speed - all sorts of developments. I can't see Campag bringing out e-shifting at mass market prices so one would assume a continued commitment to mechanical shifting.

However, I have no rumours to report, only speculation.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I did see last year continued patents for some small evolution of the internal mechanism of mechanical shifters, sort of a little angled notch at the end of the ratcheting mechanism. This was delightful to see for a mechanical drivetrain enthusiast. They also had a very interesting rear derailleur design with some sort of offset mechanism that would guide the rear derailleur in a curved path inward to more closely match the shape of a cassette, if I understand it correctly.
Last edited by gwerziou on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

neeb

by neeb

I use the Park Tool and change at some point between 50 and 75. I've no idea how closely that corresponds to the recommended wear level, but I get fairly long life out of my chains and have no reason to believe that my cassettes and/or chainrings wear prematurely. It's simple and it works, and any potential pennies I might save by optimally prolonging the life of my chains are not worth the extra time and hassle.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Posted my exp a few pages back...vernier caliper is way to go for measuring chain stretch

Was checking with park tool checker that showed less than 0.5 but was over recommended value with caliper.

neeb

by neeb

Just tried the vernier.. Two bikes, both with fairly new chains but one probably with less than 300km. Both rather vaguely measure around 132.20 and I can't tell them apart with repeated measurements. With the Park Tool however the slightly more worn one fairly consistently measures 0.25 while the less worn one barely moves at all (clearly less than 0.25).

I like that I can tell these chains apart with the Park Tool and that it corresponds with usage, while with the vernier I can't tell them apart at this stage.

I'll keep checking with both tools on these chains, but I suspect that I'll hit 0.5 on one of the chains with the Park Tool before I reach 132.6 on the vernier.

I should maybe say that these are 11sp chains and I'm using Squirt wax-based lube.

<edit> I think you have to have a well-calibrated Park Tool.. If one of the pins is just minutely bent/off centre the reading can be way out.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

From my experience Campag chains can last as far as 15.000km before hitting the recommended wear limit.
I usually change them at around 10-15k.
But I do clean and lube the chain regularly, I use Finish Line wet lube, nothing fancy.

I did close to 50.000km on my Chorus 11s groupset in 4 years, and I'm on my 4th chain.
Cassette and the rings are still perfroming well, there is some visible wear on the big chainring, other than that all good.
Oh, I had to replace jockey wheels once, those were quite worn after 35.000km.

micky

by micky

I bought a digital vernier for check the chain and it was 132.0/1 .
I expected it to be worn or very close to be worn as I installed it last March/April.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I tried searching for this but no luck. Has anyone used the Rotor 11-36 12spd cassette with the updated Super Record 12 rear deailleur? I was planning to pair this with a 50/34 crankset. I really don't want to have to buy new wheels since Chris King stopping supporing Campy.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

jackie

by jackie

just wanted to check if any one have any luck using Rotor Q Ring on Campy 12 spd groupset?

ColnagoJohn

by ColnagoJohn

i am just in the process of building up my canyon ultimate with record 12 speed, does anyone know if there is a recommended length for the section of outer cabling from the frame exit point to the rear derailleur? is it a specific length or is it just a case of "what looks right" as it always used to be.
I guess on a complete cable set you get one pre cut to the correct length, but i am using from a reel

kytyree

by kytyree

I measured one of the precut ones and got ~35cm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com