Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, 15 years would be a stretch with no maintenance for sure, unless like you say it wasn't being used very much. But really, those little g-springs for a few dollars is usually the thing that wears out, and the rubber hoods which are easily replaceable. Sometimes the carrier breaks (the carbon ones), and there's a little thin washer that was made out of carbon for a short time that could break easily. Not so much druing actual installed use, but rather when you are disassembling it. It's like a thin wafer and breaks like one too when handled for cleaning etc. Some things are better left metal.
And no, I'm not in the business of doing repairs for a living or anything like that... but there are certainly places that probalby still do. Branford Cycles in Seattle I think still has had a good stock of old campy parts and such. There's a guy in Colorado (OldPotatoe on the Paceline Forum) that could probably help you out as well if you seriously want to have them rebuilt.

But yes, as @bmpf007 was saying... this really isn't a ergo lever rebuild thread, but it's just nice to know that Campy stuff is generally made to last, and does. I really like what I can see of the new cassettes and how they're built and put together so far. They seem like they'd be very robust with fewer rivets holding the cog groups together and instead just solid metal, but I haven't seen one for real yet. Looking forward to it however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wintershade

by wintershade

When do people think Campagnolo will release the 12 Speed EPS TT setup. I need to build a new TT bike, and I'd like to run EPS for ability to shift when climbing on bullhorns. I'm wondering if it's worth the wait.

Also, any word on when we can expect the new WTO wheelsets?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

wintershade wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:55 pm
When do people think Campagnolo will release the 12 Speed EPS TT setup. I need to build a new TT bike, and I'd like to run EPS for ability to shift when climbing on bullhorns. I'm wondering if it's worth the wait.
Campag has historically been slow in releasing TT-specific kit. If there's a 4Q18 release of EPS 12v I would be surprised if it included TT bar-end shifters. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

If I was a dyed-in-the-wool UK dragstrip tester I'd be mocking you for wanting 12 gears on your TT bike because 5 were enough for King Alf blah blah but I like my 11v TT drivetrain.

muti

by muti

I see a pretty aggresive price policy from Campagnolo in Europe plus their availability declares have been spot on.Their Super Record shilters are listed 399 euros already in major internet German retailers AND in stock( as predicted in the official launch some months ago).Chapeau,coming from a Shimano user the last years and a critic of their 11speed groupsets.Hoping that their performance matches(and surpasses) their legendary 10speed groupsets.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I have got my first groupset for the shop.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thePrince

by thePrince

Anybody know if the groupset is compatible with a SRAM 1x narrow-wide chainring? I built a crit bike this summer on an Allez running 10spd SRAM Red. With 12 gearing options I could almsot ride that bike daily...I think either 52 or 54 front and an 11-32 would get me through 90% of my rides/races. Would want a 39 if I was doing a specific hill workout/race.

Their narrow-wide rings work on 5.4mm chains vs the 5.15mm 12 speed Campagnolo chain.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I was going to jump on a 12 spd SR group for my Cannondale Evo, but seems every I look the 11-29 block is not available... only the 11-32

Almost $1000 Canadian more to buy it over here in North America than Europe!! :shock:

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 pm
Well I have got my first groupset for the shop.
How about throwing away all common sense and installing them on your bike? :D I'm especially curious if the brakes are more powerful...

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Would be interesting to know more about 12sp chainrings and can you use them with 11sp crank.

lwk

by lwk

Kumppa wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Would be interesting to know more about 12sp chainrings and can you use them with 11sp crank.
Also would like to know the same :thumbup:

c60rider

by c60rider

Graeme F-K said the 12 speed rings might fit existing P2M and SRM power meters with a slight mod. I'm guessing a spacer of some sort but I should have asked him a bit more. We'll see at the tour if anyone has 12 speed and what crank combo they're using. I can imagine it will be next year until either power meter has specific 12 speed cranks to match the new kit

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Kumppa wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Ive emailed SRM ,P2Max, and Campagnolo... and all 3 replied... I got some answers and drew my own conclusions...

SRM - My main interest was will the current Campagnolo PM work with 12 spd... their response was along the lines that they have no plans on redesinging the current model. They said they were doing a limited run of the current model and sent me a link if I was interested to purchase it.. following links to order leads to a dead trail at the time, and the Campy PM is not even listed on the USA site anymore.. But within days of me asking this question SRM announced the EXAKT pedal system, and conveniently Lotto, a Campy SRM sponsored team was testing them with Hansen and Greipel...

P2Max - Direct quote was NO... our 11spd model will not work and we are currently redesigning a new model for 12 spd

Campagnolo USA - The chainline has changed... the tech I spoke with was not sure if it was in the rings or crank, but he seems to think the chainline changed within the crank itself...

Its the same bolt pattern, but just judging from the above responses, Im going to assume they are not compatible.. SRM has a habit of being very hush hush though... I think there are a few teams using their crank based PM, unless there is a design change or mod, it will eliminate them from the crankbase Campagnolo market, really only leaving P2Max current on the 12 until Stages does something... Im guessing SRM is going to be hard pushing the origin and exakt systems with so many pm compaies.. id guess by the end of the year the spec model is gone with the 4iii team up...

Kumppa

by Kumppa

^ Thank you. Hopefully someone can confirm your investigate.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Fingers crossed a manufacturer like Rotor, Praxis, BBB, Osymetric etc. launches 4 and/or 5-bolt 12-speed compatible chainrings ASAP. I've got a 5-bolt campag P2M which leaves me between an expensive rock and a pricey place unless someone comes out with some aftermarket rings.

I did email Praxis works and they said "We’re always working on new products, but I don’t have a timeframe on new 12 speed Campy compatible rings at this point."
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

avispa

by avispa

zappafile123 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 am
Fingers crossed a manufacturer like Rotor, Praxis, BBB, Osymetric etc. launches 4 and/or 5-bolt 12-speed compatible chainrings ASAP. I've got a 5-bolt campag P2M which leaves me between an expensive rock and a pricey place unless someone comes out with some aftermarket rings.

I did email Praxis works and they said "We’re always working on new products, but I don’t have a timeframe on new 12 speed Campy compatible rings at this point."
Part of the problem is that the 12 speed things from Campy have not hit mainstream availability. When it comes to Campy these days, unfortunatelly, very few companies do anything about it until requests start coming in. I asked Rotor USA if they had 4-bolt Oval rings for Campy now that those Campy cranksets are the norm. But, nothing, Rotor said, we have not heard anything being produced for those yet. Image
Last edited by avispa on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com