Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

^^unfortunately this. I was hoping for an EPS refresh instead of this. SR Mechanical 2015+ was the pinnacle of design (except the 4 arm cranks) and then they came out with this. I wouldn't want to put it on any of my bikes, it's an eyesore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

EPS 12 will be out by the end of the year (Oct-Nov are rumored).. and who knows what they will do with it... wireless, semi wireless... probably see a few guys on it at the tour...

TonyM

by TonyM

RyanH wrote:^^unfortunately this. I was hoping for an EPS refresh instead of this. SR Mechanical 2015+ was the pinnacle of design (except the 4 arm cranks) and then they came out with this. I wouldn't want to put it on any of my bikes, it's an eyesore.
Exactly the same opinion on all these points!

c60rider

by c60rider

I've two bikes with pre-2015 SR and my latest bike has post-2015 and I prefer the feel and function of the pre 2015 but I would always buy the latest kit. The same is true of 12 speed I won't jump straight into it as I don't need a new bike just yet but having seen it in the flesh I'm quite happy to have it on any bike. The small weight difference is of no relevance to me. There's an extra sprocket and a large one at that so the cassette should be slightly heavier than existing 11 speed cassettes even though each sprocket is a fraction thinner. People often don't like change to something that they really like but I'm not going to suddenly jump ship and buy Shimano because of it. If you're not a total fanboy by all means try different components/ makes but I along with many others I'm sure will happily stick with Campag. That's the good thing we all have these days is lots of choice.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

If you jump ship because Campagnolo is producing a 12 speed, where are you going to go when Shimano follows suit in a couple years?

I'm certain Las Vagas does not have odds on it because it's a sure bet that the Japanese will. Along with Sram.

Magnum

by Magnum

I am having a new bike built soon (once the frame is ready) and it will have Campagnolo 12 speed on it. I am not anti Shimano and Sram it's just that I have Campag on my old bike, I like the way it works, it's still working perfectly nearly 17 years after it went on there, and so I see no reason to try anything else.

It will have Shimano pedals though!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I really like what I know of the new 12sp stuff. I think it looks great. I’m especially anxious to get my hands on the new cables and the new brakes to check out. Still have a few unanswered questions about rings etc, but until I get a group in my own dirty hands to play with, those questions can be on hold for now.

In the meantime, I’m rebuilding a young lady’s 10sp shifter, which when I’m through will run better than new. All it needs is a couple new g-springs for about $10, if I don’t have any lying around. Clean everything up and reassemble with nice fresh grease and voila... will “click” away happily for another 15 years or so. While you can’t get all the individual teensy parts anymore with 11sp stuff (imagine having to keep track and stock all those sku’s) you can still get the main assembly and have spare parts on hand for when you need them. Although, and I don’t know if I’m embarrassed for not ever having done it or happy that it’s never been necessary, I’ve yet to have to rebuild an 11sp shifter. They don’t have g-springs, so I’m not sure what or when 11sp shifter parts actually wear out yet.
In the meantime... I present to you the guts of a 10sp right side shifter in front of me at the moment, in no particular order...
The stuff is solid and it lasts.

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Miller

by Miller

I had a go at rebuilding 10sp shifters some years ago... refitting that coil spring in the centre of your photo was a b!tch.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! Yes. And there’s a couple tricks to make even getting that coil spring back in correctly a breeze as well. But I certainly felt your pain the first time I did it, with no special tools etc and no diagram. Just a curiosity to see what’s inside. I thought there must be some little Italian somewhere with three hands, each with 7 fingers, whose sole purpose in life was to assemble these things. Now it takes me more time to clean the parts than pull it apart or put it back together.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Yeah, if you follow the Campag youtube video exactly, then fitting the spring is an awful lot easier. As I figured out the 2nd time ;)

octav

by octav

Rebuild the 10 speed ones a couple of times, and they still go strong with a friend now(Record 10s). BUllet proof stuff with maintenance parts you can find.
For the moment I run a 2015+ SR 11 and would like to switch to SR12 but not convinced still. I need to see how they work live and if it's worth it.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

11 speed Ergos with the ball and membrane disc mechanism seems to last forever. I have yet to see one that has worn in the slightest.

The reason why they sell the whole assembly is unfortunately it can’t be refitted by hand

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Not sure what my internals are.. but my 2015 SR right shifter needs new guts.. down shift button has no clicks at all for first half of movement sometimes.. other times it grabs right away... sometimes need to flick the button back up to top as it wont return...
XCProMD wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:32 pm
11 speed Ergos with the ball and membrane disc mechanism seems to last forever. I have yet to see one that has worn in the slightest.

The reason why they sell the whole assembly is unfortunately it can’t be refitted by hand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

is this the erogo power repair thread now? the body you need is EC-SR200.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

claus

by claus

15 years? Are those shifters actually being used?

My 10 speed shifters last between 1 year (road bike, lots of shifting due to hills) and 3 years (commuter, mostly in the flat).
My 11 speed shifters fail after 3 to 5 years (currently I have two broken rear shifters).

Unforturnately my local shop which repaired those shifters went out of business :-(
Do you offer repairs? :-) (if so, please let me know: I could mail you 3-4 rear shifters and include the money for your work, the parts, etc).