Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

Is there something like limit screw on Campy EPS 12 speed? My bike can not reach the smallest (hardest) rear sprocket. I tried the mode button but the adjustment is not enough to put it into the smallest sprocket..when checking on Garmin it things it is on the smallest when in reality it is on second smallest..i really could not find any manual or installation video where this is covered..thank you..
Last edited by hannawald on Wed May 08, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I doon't have my 12 yet, but I think its the same as 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lP5N5uzdfw

hannawald

by hannawald

Thanks, we tried this..maybe there is something wrong with the rear hub/freehub body. We changed shimano for campa freehub, maybe we did something wrong and there is some weird spacing..

mattr

by mattr

Nha, if spacing was that wrong you'd be able to see it.
Dropout perfectly straight and twist free?
Offset from locknut to hanger seating face big enough? (Dunno what the tolerance is on campag)

mag

by mag

What happens after you perform the reset (zero) procedure described here?
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _04_19.pdf
It's supposed to be performed on the 2nd and 11th sprockets and should get you set if everything else is fine.

EDIT: Aah, now I checked the video posted by ParisCarbon and it's the same procedure which you already tried. So no joy here.

neeb

by neeb

Probably an error with the zeroing (either because the instructions above haven't been followed precisely or just some random glitch during zeroing, in which case try it again).

Otherwise, you don't have an unusual dropout setup by any chance, such as 135mm dropouts fitted with adaptors to take 130mm hubs? If the combined dropout / adaptor / hanger thickness is excessive it can take the mounting point of the derailleur outside of its functional range, i.e. it ends up being mounted just a milimeter or two further away from the smallest sproket than it is able to be adjusted to cope with...

<EDIT - Duh, ignore that.. of course the problem I mention above would cause problems with shifting into the largest sprocket, not the smallest..>
Last edited by neeb on Wed May 08, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannawald

by hannawald

I will take it to my lbs tomorrow morning so they can check it. My friend did it for me but we were stuck with this. But we just tried the zero procedure and could not find any limit screw..we successfully did di2 but had no luck this time. I am sure bike is ok - Bianchi. Probably something stupid:)

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Are you sure the 'Ride Back Home' function hasn't been inadvertently engaged? This happened to a mate of mine recently after he flew with his bike in one of those padded bags. The mech had evidently taken a knock and wouldn't go into the 10th or 11th sprocket. Nothing we did (including zero reset) made any difference until the penny dropped and we unhooked it.

mag

by mag

Yep, also check out the 1.1 - DISENGAGEMENT MECHANISM chapter here:

RyanH

by RyanH

Did you do the two button press or single button press to get into adjust mode? Single button only does small trim adjustments.

Also, with my T1sl I had to add a spacer to the RD for 9150 to get it to go into the smallest cog.

welchy

by welchy

I know the rings have been talked about loads ref 11 / 12 speed but does anybody have any pics of 12 spd running on 11 speed rings?

Also do the 11 speed rings have to be 12 speed?

I may need to fit 11 speed temporarily until I have a bikefit and get the correct crank length. Then can go ahead and buy the 12 speed Campy cranks, otherwise I could end up buying 175 and needing 165 (I have bad knee problems..)

madik

by madik

mag wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:31 pm
What happens after you perform the reset (zero) procedure described here?
It's supposed to be performed on the 2nd and 11th sprockets and should get you set if everything else is fine.

EDIT: Aah, now I checked the video posted by ParisCarbon and it's the same procedure which you already tried. So no joy here.
Thanks a lot for the manual! We (me and hannawald) havent done the zero reset unfortunatelly. I couldn't found a proper manual on campagnolo website at the time and we were also in a time press. We were only doing adjusting the rear derrailer in the "purple" mode by holding mode button on the right lever. And the zero reset is the "blue" mode according to the manual (holding mode button on both levers). Hopefully we will fix it with the blue mode :)
Functionality > Performance > Weight

hannawald

by hannawald

Today my first ride on Campy 12 speed EPS with 11 speed Red Etap cranks + TA Specialites chainrings. I had to be careful when upshifting. My lbs mounted it and warned me that the chain occasionaly falls and they could not mount it better - on eps there is not much to setup on front derailleur...

When upshifting slowly, it sometimes happened that the chain wanted to fall from the bigger chainring out of the bike, half of the chain was almost off but then it caught its right way back..the same happened to me when i hit the hole...so if i had shifted hard under power it would have fallen away...so not optimal, just usable in my case.

I am waiting for 11 speed Campa cranks to arrive so I will see if it will be better...I believed the comments here that there is no problem with 11 speed chainrings, now in doubts a bit:) We will see..

mag

by mag

When purchasing the crankset, why not the proper 12s? Because of aesthetics?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

hannawald wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:04 pm
Today my first ride on Campy 12 speed EPS with 11 speed Red Etap cranks + TA Specialites chainrings. I had to be careful when upshifting. My lbs mounted it and warned me that the chain occasionaly falls and they could not mount it better - on eps there is not much to setup on front derailleur...

When upshifting slowly, it sometimes happened that the chain wanted to fall from the bigger chainring out of the bike, half of the chain was almost off but then it caught its right way back..the same happened to me when i hit the hole...so if i had shifted hard under power it would have fallen away...so not optimal, just usable in my case.

I am waiting for 11 speed Campa cranks to arrive so I will see if it will be better...I believed the comments here that there is no problem with 11 speed chainrings, now in doubts a bit:) We will see..
You really, really, really need to take this bike to someone who knows what they are doing. Guessing, trying to "make it work" with components it is not even remotely designed to work with, without looking at the literature or at the (very comprehensive) information supplied by Campagnolo is *not* a way to set up several thousand Euro's worth of equipment.

I completely understand that you want to set the system up yourself but TA rings on a SRAM crankset is very unlikely to work at all well - the TA rings don't carry the correct ramping or tooth profiles, the SRAM cranks won't give the correct chainring spacing and if you haven't correctly followed the zero-set instructions, you stand no chance of using the (in fact quite flexible) options to get the front mech to work as well as it can with the crank / chainring options you have chosen.

I would implore you to take your bike to a Campagnolo ProShop and get a mechanic who has been trained on Campagnolo EPS 12v, specifically, to set it up. He or she should at least be aware of the options that exist through the adjustent modes on the levers as well as the adjustments that can be made in shifting force / speed via the MyCampy App to get the best possible function from what will always be a sub-optimal set-up.

The 11s crankset does not have the correct spacing to work with 12v, the ramping and pinning on the rings and the shaping on the back of the big chainring are wrong and the tooth profiles tend to give excessive noise on the 12s system - so I would really not recommend that you try to cut a corner and use an 11s crankset, no matter what people say "works" ... it really depends on what you mean by "works".

Finally, please note that no warranty at all will apply if you try and mix and match components, even from within the Campagnolo brand, on any part of the transmission / shift system ...
Last edited by graeme_f_k on Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!