Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@3Pio, I’m so glad you posted this because it echos my gut feeling exactly. Although the new 12-speed is quite nice, I’m strongly considering picking up a discounted 11-speed (perhaps with a mid 52/36 this time?) to build up another mechanical rim bike. Then I’d have two 11-speed bikes in my quiver:different horses for different courses as we say.

Currently with my 53/39 I’m running a 12-27. Thinking about getting a 52/36 with an 11-27 or perhaps a 12-29. What do you run in the mountains? (BTW you live in Italia right?)

3Pio wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:14 am
angrylegs wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:13 pm
Now is not a good time to be buying 11 speed. SRAM is testing 12 speed and Shimano will be forced to put out their 12 speed soon, much the same way they did when Campy first came out with 11 speed.
Im in process of building another bike and have big dilemma should i go 12s or 11s.. And realized that now is perfect time of buying 11s groupset (again Campagnolo Record same as i have on my other bike for 3 years now)...

Why i think like this? 12s dont give me anything i need in this moment (11 cog i dont use it at all).. If i go Record 12s heavier then Record 11s... Also suspect that 12 chain/cassette will wear faster vs 11 version..

KotP

by KotP

MiddMan wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:50 am
Is Canyon planning to offer one of these up for sale as a complete build? Certainly an attractive colour and very well put together with the new 12 speed.
Do you mean a white Canyon Ultimate World Champion edition? Rainbow stripes are for World Champions only.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

MiddMan wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:03 am
@3Pio, I’m so glad you posted this because it echos my gut feeling exactly. Although the new 12-speed is quite nice, I’m strongly considering picking up a discounted 11-speed (perhaps with a mid 52/36 this time?) to build up another mechanical rim bike. Then I’d have two 11-speed bikes in my quiver:different horses for different courses as we say.

Currently with my 53/39 I’m running a 12-27. Thinking about getting a 52/36 with an 11-27 or perhaps a 12-29. What do you run in the mountains? (BTW you live in Italia right?)

3Pio wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:14 am
angrylegs wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:13 pm
Now is not a good time to be buying 11 speed. SRAM is testing 12 speed and Shimano will be forced to put out their 12 speed soon, much the same way they did when Campy first came out with 11 speed.
Im in process of building another bike and have big dilemma should i go 12s or 11s.. And realized that now is perfect time of buying 11s groupset (again Campagnolo Record same as i have on my other bike for 3 years now)...

Why i think like this? 12s dont give me anything i need in this moment (11 cog i dont use it at all).. If i go Record 12s heavier then Record 11s... Also suspect that 12 chain/cassette will wear faster vs 11 version..
Middman, glad that im not the only one having this reasoning.. Unfortunately i dont live in Italia :( (I love Italia. Beeing there few times and i adore it. I could easely live there :) ), but the terrain here is very similar in percentage of mountains/flats as Italy, so plenty of Mountains and perfect if u like climbing.

Most of the rides are some kind of mix between flat and climbing so i find totaly perfect riding 52/36 12-29 for my ridings, and on wheels i ride i have same cassette: 12-29

I have another bike 50/34 with 12-27, and prefer 52/36. My friend use 53/39, but he found the he'll prefer 52/36 for our ridings...

Consider the climbs we have here are from 5% , up to 20%. I rarely use 11 cog (i have also 11-29 cassette, and hate the jump in the middle), so when i switched to 12-29 i find my ideal compromise...My FTP is around 270W this days, and im 71 kg

I think u wont make mistake picking up 11 speed 52/36 and cassette based of ur terrain (but 12-29 probably best compromise for different kind of terrains)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Think you’ll all be waiting a long time for any significantly increased discounts on SR/REC/CH 11 speed parts. 10 speed didn’t require clearing out, neither will 11 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:16 am
Think you’ll all be waiting a long time for any significantly increased discounts on SR/REC/CH 11 speed parts. 10 speed didn’t require clearing out, neither will 11 speed.

I allready got discount on 11 speed groupset in my LBS. It's high end groupset, and this days people who will spend money for highend groupset wont do that on old fashioned components :) so a chance for us old fashioned :) (if i did not get this discount i would go with Poteza on my build). Still did not bought it officialy, since im waiting for parts to arrive (cable stoppers on new frameset, BB Cups. I ordered everything around 20 dec (im waiting few packages), and still nothing arrived because of hollidays :( . But that's another story). But we have a deal to keep it for me, and buy it as soon as i got at least my BB Cups to be able to install..

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

That’s not what I’m talking about. Fair play for dealing with your lbs. I’m referring to the parts ending up in the clearance section. It will not happen.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

KotP wrote:
MiddMan wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:50 am
Is Canyon planning to offer one of these up for sale as a complete build? Certainly an attractive colour and very well put together with the new 12 speed.
Do you mean a white Canyon Ultimate World Champion edition? Rainbow stripes are for World Champions only.
OT but this underlines everything that’s wrong in cycling business model. We as fans should buy team jerseys directly from team shop for providing additional income and not just relying on sponsors. Think football where team jerseys are biggest income for clubs and high profile players salaries are payed with merchandise items.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

3Pio

by 3Pio

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 am
That’s not what I’m talking about. Fair play for dealing with your lbs. I’m referring to the parts ending up in the clearance section. It will not happen.

Dont see anything unfair to my LBS, just oposite.. They had the groupset for long time, and obviosly peopole who buy this kind of things want new model, more speed, etc... There was a huge discount on Potenza on one og german retalier, so i had a choice to support my LBS (they offer me the prices), or to buy Potenza. Im paying the price difference from that discountet Potenza to Record same as they are both regular prices..

Sometimes deals are happening when shops (LBS or Online), want to get rid of the stock that noone is buying for long time.. Like this groupset.. With all marketing about how u need 12s, just check shops for deals like this.. Or nice frameset Rim Brake version.. Or Rim versio of wheelset.. This days, it's possible to get nice parts for nice price if u dont suffer from having the latest, the newest...

robertbb

by robertbb

Agree... if anything, some Campy stuff will go up in price over time as it becomes harder to find certain spares/consumables. I love the aesthetic of the 2015+ 11s groups, the lever feel, the differential brakes, the crisp positive shifting. Don't give a f*** about disc, electronic or additional cogs.

So about a year ago (when I saw the first leaked diagrams of 12s) I decided to start stocking up. Been taking advantage of discount coupons, black Friday deals, bundles, the strong (at the time) Aussie dollar, etc.

Here's my Campy cupboard currently:

2 x full Chorus 2015 groupsets, both on Canyon (ultimate CF and ultimate AL). On top of which I have spare shifters in box, spare front derailleur in box and spare rear derailleur in box.

1 x full Record 2015 groupset. This is in box, never opened... waiting for a special frame in future. Also have spare front and rear derailleur, again both in box.

Consumables, still all in box for the future:
5x Chorus 12-29 cassettes
10x Record chains (adhering to the two chain per cassette rule)
5x pairs of rubber hoods (I like to change these when changing cassettes)

Got 4 sets of Campy wheels (Bora 35 Tub (with Potenza 11-32 cassette for high mountains), Bora 35 clincher, Shamal C17 and Zonda C17 each with Chorus 12-29 for varied daily riding)...

So you might say I'm invested in Campy 11 :lol:

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@KotP, no doubt. I don’t mean the WC stripes, just the general clean look of a white bike or other pops of colour. All black bikes and muted tones are everywhere, I like a little panache. I know many on this forum prefer the ‘stealth’ look and that’s all good too. Whatever speaks to you and makes you wanna ride!

[/quote]

[/quote]

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

3Pio wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 am

Dont see anything unfair to my LBS, just oposite.. They had the groupset for long time, and obviosly peopole who buy this kind of things want new model, more speed, etc... There was a huge discount on Potenza on one og german retalier, so i had a choice to support my LBS (they offer me the prices), or to buy Potenza. Im paying the price difference from that discountet Potenza to Record same as they are both regular prices..

Sometimes deals are happening when shops (LBS or Online), want to get rid of the stock that noone is buying for long time.. Like this groupset.. With all marketing about how u need 12s, just check shops for deals like this.. Or nice frameset Rim Brake version.. Or Rim versio of wheelset.. This days, it's possible to get nice parts for nice price if u dont suffer from having the latest, the newest...
Far from it. I was complimenting you on dealing with your lbs rather than going for the best price you can get online. Kudos.

After almost 26 years in the trade I fully understand the concept of clearing old stock. The difference with Chorus and above Campag is, as another poster commented, that there is little reason to discount it much at all now that 12 speed is out. We are still able to sell 10 speed record spares for full price.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:40 am
Agree... if anything, some Campy stuff will go up in price over time as it becomes harder to find certain spares/consumables. I love the aesthetic of the 2015+ 11s groups, the lever feel, the differential brakes, the crisp positive shifting. Don't give a f*** about disc, electronic or additional cogs.

So about a year ago (when I saw the first leaked diagrams of 12s) I decided to start stocking up. Been taking advantage of discount coupons, black Friday deals, bundles, the strong (at the time) Aussie dollar, etc.

Here's my Campy cupboard currently:

2 x full Chorus 2015 groupsets, both on Canyon (ultimate CF and ultimate AL). On top of which I have spare shifters in box, spare front derailleur in box and spare rear derailleur in box.

1 x full Record 2015 groupset. This is in box, never opened... waiting for a special frame in future. Also have spare front and rear derailleur, again both in box.

Consumables, still all in box for the future:
5x Chorus 12-29 cassettes
10x Record chains (adhering to the two chain per cassette rule)
5x pairs of rubber hoods (I like to change these when changing cassettes)

Got 4 sets of Campy wheels (Bora 35 Tub (with Potenza 11-32 cassette for high mountains), Bora 35 clincher, Shamal C17 and Zonda C17 each with Chorus 12-29 for varied daily riding)...

So you might say I'm invested in Campy 11 :lol:
Good planning... My SL5 is currently EPS 11 while my other machines await EPS 12.. but I am also slowly making a small stockpile of casettes and chains when I see the sales... Picked up a 11-23 11spd record block from ribble for $140 before xmas!

KotP

by KotP

MiddMan wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm
I don’t mean the WC stripes, just the general clean look of a white bike or other pops of colour.
:thumbup:

But Canyon and colour seem to be the antithesis of each other.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

If only there is 48|32 chainrings in Campagnolo, cassette that starts with 12 would be redundant...
ps. Similarly, Looks like Sram 12 speed will try to replace 53/11 with 47/10 and 55/11 with 50/10, resulting in smaller cassette for the same range.
Attachments
38321126.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bruno2000

by bruno2000

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:22 am
Campag have only sent press invites out for early March as far as I know.

No codes have been added to their b2b site so it is not possible to order anything yet.

No cassette options are on the b2b either.

Codes that were sent out with the mechanical listings made no mention of alternative interface(s), but did list a new charger.

Source - Work in the trade for an OEM manufacturer.

I can confirm all this...working in a similar faction...
Chorus 12spd will come too next summer.