Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micky

by micky

That looks very interesting.
Design is exactly the same as Edco and that other taiwanese company I can't recall the name.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

Recon is the Taiwanese brand. Recon is probably the OEM manufacturer for both Edco and Prestacycle. The packaging of prestacycles looks a lot like the Recon packaging.
Last edited by 1llum4 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naavt

by naavt

1llum4 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:35 am
Recon is the Taiwanese brand. Recon is probably the OEM manufacturer for both Edco and Prestacycle. The packing of prestacycles looks a lot like the Recon packaging.
Edco has an european facility where they machine their cassettes

Attermann

by Attermann

are you sure about that? i was under the impression that edco was just Recon cassettes.

mag

by mag

micky wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:13 am
One question for the EPS users; yesterday I was out running and suddenly the rear derailleur didn't work anymore.
I though it was the battery but once at home checked with the app and it said 44%.
As I put the bike on a bike stand and tried to check everything, MyCampy app showed a "there's a problem" on the screen.
Of course checked cable and then put on charge to bring it up at 100% but still not working, changing few gears and then stop again.
I did a zero setting for the RD and fingers crossed, it seems to work again.

Anyone experienced this before?
As you appear to live in Vicenza where Campy HQ is located - can't you try to ask someone around for help?

micky

by micky

Of course, but those lazy bastards don't work on a Sunday morning when I posted the question so I'd though I'd ask here as it's a forum for exchanging experiences.
Thanks for your help.

naavt

by naavt

Attermann wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm
are you sure about that? i was under the impression that edco was just Recon cassettes.
Yes I'm really sure. One manufacturer of carbon parts here works directly with them and he was the one who told me that first hand.

There are EDCO parts that are done in Taiwan (namely some wheels), but even those EDCO wants to move back to Europe again.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

naavt wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:21 am
Attermann wrote:
Yes I'm really sure. One manufacturer of carbon parts here works directly with them and he was the one who told me that first hand.

There are EDCO parts that are done in Taiwan (namely some wheels), but even those EDCO wants to move back to Europe again.
I'm afraid your contact at EDCO may have been misleading you. I've owned 11s monoblock cassettes from Recon, Presta and EDCO and can tell you that the machining is identical.

usr

by usr

Do they all have the issue of the extra machining for the shift ramp on the 12T going all the way down into the "floor", weakening that "floor" right next to the point where the 11T is weakened by its own ramp machining? I've had a tooth give in to chain tension there. Curiously without any noticeable change in shifting or transmission (I guess I might be a bit insensitive?)

In an case, identical machining is obvious, but it could still be the same program running on different CNC sites. I could imagine that shift ramp weakening to be a setup issue or a side effect of tool wear compensation but that's just a clueless layman guessing.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I doubt if I would have that problem. I'm just not that strong. :D

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

usr wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:53 pm
Do they all have the issue of the extra machining for the shift ramp on the 12T going all the way down into the "floor", weakening that "floor" right next to the point where the 11T is weakened by its own ramp machining? I've had a tooth give in to chain tension there. Curiously without any noticeable change in shifting or transmission (I guess I might be a bit insensitive?)

In an case, identical machining is obvious, but it could still be the same program running on different CNC sites. I could imagine that shift ramp weakening to be a setup issue or a side effect of tool wear compensation but that's just a clueless layman guessing.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick up on that sort of thing but these cassettes trade lightness for shifting performance and durability compared to OEM. From memory, their 11-23T definitely didn't shift as nice or last as long as CS-9000.

naavt

by naavt

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:41 pm
naavt wrote:
Attermann wrote:

I'm afraid your contact at EDCO may have been misleading you. I've owned 11s monoblock cassettes from Recon, Presta and EDCO and can tell you that the machining is identical.
If you look at, say, the Chinese EE brakes, you'll notice that all parts are identically machined. That doesn't mean that the original EE brakes are done at the same factory. They aren't!

Chinese plants just reverse engeniers a bunch of stuff and a monobloc cassette is easy to replicate if tou have the right tools to do it

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

naavt wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:30 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:41 pm
naavt wrote:
Attermann wrote:

If you look at, say, the Chinese EE brakes, you'll notice that all parts are identically machined. That doesn't mean that the original EE brakes are done at the same factory. They aren't!

Chinese plants just reverse engeniers a bunch of stuff and a monobloc cassette is easy to replicate if tou have the right tools to do it
Recon is a full fledged OEM with proper engineering and manufacturing capabilities. I also won't tolerate your word salad about reverse engineering. There is absolutely no money to be made on reverse engineering a bunch of obscure bicycle parts that only a couple enthusiasts on a forum like WW would buy. To suggest that there is even a business case for such a thing is laughable at best. The real money is in supplying parts to complete bikes for name brands like Giant/Specialized or big retailers like Decathlon/Walmart but that's a topic for another thread.

Back on the topic of EDCO, several WW posters have written in the past that EDCO cassettes are made by Recon. One even stated that Recon themselves suggested that they were the OEM.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

So company profile aside...what is the consensus on durability of the aftermarket cassette options from recon, edco etc.

How is the shifting?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:29 am
How is the shifting?
Slower. Where Campag usually makes the chain jump immediately, ramp or not, with the ramps only there in case the shifting happens to be an unlucky one, I felt like the monoblock would usually wait until the ramp happens to pass through at the derailleur (might as well be lower number of ramps per revolution, and could be unnoticeable for users of motor shifting).

Most noticeable when rolling to a stop: I often had to get going with a downshift still in progress after preparing for the stop in the accustomed distance, that went away immediately when I got back to the regular cassette.

When Campag does the shift immediate thing, it does so with a loud clank. That clank is still there with the monoblock, so not all is lost :mrgreen:
Last edited by usr on Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.