Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

micky

by micky

I can't comment on the SR cassette wear cause I was given 2 cassettes with my EPS, and as the SR was 11/34, I've been using only the Chorus 11/29.
So far, so good.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

SR cassette 6000km
SR cassette 6000km
^SR cassette 6000km
Used Epic Ride for abt first 3000km
Switched to MSWax after reading reviews abt both from Friction
SR cassette new
SR cassette new
^ new SR cassette on another wheelset

Above is just a data point from my exp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Thanks chaps! Chorus one should do me if they work just as well, plus I don't mind the extra weight that much.

@rudye9mr – Thanks for sharing the photos; looks like the used one holds up alright, thanks to good waxing? Are you still running it or is it skipping gears already? Also, would you mind sharing how many chains you've gone through with it?

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Still running the cassette, original SR chain (so 6000km on it as well) less than 0.5mm wear (Park Tool CC 3.2)

I do think the waxing is prolonging the life of the components

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

rudye9mr wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:55 pm
Still running the cassette, original SR chain (so 6000km on it as well) less than 0.5mm wear (Park Tool CC 3.2)

I do think the waxing is prolonging the life of the components
I'd be very curious to see how a new chain behaves. Ime a not-pampered campa 11 chain only lasts about 2500 before it is toast according to the caliper (132.6) measurement. What I recall from older threads is that the other methods of measurement might lead you into a false sense of security concerning campa chain wear.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

On your advice @ vernier, I am over (133.2mm vs max 132.60mm campy spec).

Will change over the weekend

That Park Tool is misleading!

Thanks!!! @Alexandrumarian

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

rudye9mr wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:39 pm
On your advice @ vernier, I am over (133.2mm vs max 132.60mm campy spec).

Will change over the weekend

That Park Tool is misleading!

Thanks!!! @Alexandrumarian
Now, this is a tricky moment. If you change, the new chain might skip. I think it also depends on the cassette, IME the cheap ones (Centaur and Miche) definitly skip sooner than Chorus. Titanium SR lasted pretty well for me but also had a rather erratic (chain) use. If the casette is fine, the new chain will work. If not, you will need a new one. If you go back to the old chain, it will work for more as they further wear together, but what does it do to the chainrings?

My last chain was changed at 132.8, second chain on a Potenza casette (so total of about 5k, as for surface quality should be good, close to Chorus) I got some skip, luckly bareable but still, not pleasant. Maybe once or twice a ride when putting too much power on the small cogs. After about 1000km as the chain stretched, skips gone. Now I have very close to 2k I think, time to pull the vernier out. Very curious as this is my first chain used only with wax.

Again, everything I say is related to 11s, although I strongly suspect it relates pretty well to 12.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

New chain installed and measured at 132.0mm /vernier

No skipping but a bit early to tell...will update in a week with findings.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

rudye9mr wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:34 pm
New chain installed and measured at 132.0mm /vernier

No skipping but a bit early to tell...will update in a week with findings.
Good to hear! I also measured mine, 132.3 in two places and 132.4 in just one spot. It was a very nice suprise at 2000Km! Used squirt from the day1, and topped generously every 100Km or so.

usr

by usr

Speaking of the vernier: I was really starting to distrust mine now that the chain is approaching 16000, always a hassle trying to get the feelers on the rollers instead of riding up on the ends of the inner link where the measured distance would be shorter by a tenth or two.

Add dremeling off vernier feelers to the list of odd behavior observed in campag riders:
3472.jpg

wilwil

by wilwil

Ive done 9,460 miles on a SR 12 speed cassette. It came with the group set and Ive yet to change it. Im on my second SR chain, which is 50% worn. When I come to change the chain it may slip and thats when I'll change the cassette I have a Chorus one ready and waiting.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

@usr - what measurements are you getting at 16,000km?

Perhaps rough check the 132mm and 133mm on vernier against a straight ruler?

usr

by usr

It's at flat 132.60, will probably replace next time it saw rain or when I get a clear "closer to .70 than to .50".

A conventional wear gauge yields the expected "first minor signs of wear on the .75 side", a Pedro's "ignores roller play" gauge is far from dropping.

I still don't 100.0% trust my memory of the chain being the first, but I do remember having been positively surprised by its longevity for quite a while. I even browsed through my part order logs for unexpected extra occurrences of R12 chain orders and could only find two orders. Admittedly, this is proof that the logs weren't complete or that my log reading skills are inadequate, because I must have ordered three, the one on the bike and the two spares sitting in my stash.

Additionally, a few years ago I have started to tag chain replacements with #newchainride on Strava and now that they have introduced keyword search in "my activities" it has suddenly become useful: no #newchainride on the 12s, but hilariously short replacement cycles for the 11s (poor thing saw a shocking amount of rain abuse once the new bike entered the picture, often in combination with "field relube" sans cleaning during multiday trips)

bobrayner

by bobrayner

Is anybody out there using Ekar on the road, or exploring aftermarket 13-speed Campagnolo parts for the road?

I have a gravel bike with Ekar which I'd like to be "one bike for everything". It would be very tempting to get a road-oriented wheel (sleeker than the usual gravel wheel) with N3W hub, and a more closely-spaced 13T cassette than the current offerings (ie 10-44), just swap that in to transform a gravel bike into a pretty good road bike.

In June I tried asking IRD and Recon about cassettes; they said they're not working on a 13-speed cassette right now. Edco were "looking into it".
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

bobrayner wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:15 am
It would be very tempting to get a road-oriented wheel (sleeker than the usual gravel wheel) with N3W hub, and a more closely-spaced 13T cassette than the current offerings (ie 10-44), just swap that in to transform a gravel bike into a pretty good road bike.
You are aware of 9-36 Campagnolo cassette, right? With 44 front ring it gives you the range of 52/36 with 11-32, and very close spacing too. It gets even better with 40 or 42 front.

New Campagnolo Shamal wheels are also very much like the most current road wheels.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s