Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mag

by mag

No difference in the P2M/SRM crankset itself, only different chainrings. Read the following announcement and product descriptions for example:
https://www.facebook.com/power2maxpower ... 0386302072
https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ng ... crank-set/

EDIT: Generally @Calnago below is right, there's a difference between Campy's original chansets, but I meant the P2M/SRM ones - these are no different (11s vs 12s).
Last edited by mag on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 am
mikesamborey wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:46 am
EPS12 with new Power2Max crankset
Good to see the stuff is coming... there is nothing "new" about anything with the P2Max/SRM setups... its simply install 12s chainrings, the crank arms are the same as the 11s version, except the "11" logo has been removed in favor of a straight up "Campagnolo" logo... the logo is the same font as on the Record/Super Record Direct Mount brakes...
Is the ring spacing the same on 12 and 11s on Campags own chainsets (GFK?) ? It may work to replace the current rings with 12s, but this is not to say that this is the same spacing as a specifically 12 speed crank? I would be delighted if it were, and even more delighted if existing 11s rings would also work.
Ive had alot of communication with P2Max North America... they are in Vancouver, Im in Winnipeg, and we talk back and forth... there are no special rings or anything.. factory Record 12s ring bolts on and have done with it... if you look at Enzo Wouters Ridley in his twitter feed, you can see his SRM was still equipped with 11s rings even though he was running EPS 12s.. I know, hes a guinea pig, but they are doing it, who knows about warranty issues...

AJS914

by AJS914

Campy's got to get rid of of zip ties for the junction box.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:36 pm

A little bit of Sugru will enable the removal of those zip ties!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ghisallo2003 wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 am
mikesamborey wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:46 am
EPS12 with new Power2Max crankset
Good to see the stuff is coming... there is nothing "new" about anything with the P2Max/SRM setups... its simply install 12s chainrings, the crank arms are the same as the 11s version, except the "11" logo has been removed in favor of a straight up "Campagnolo" logo... the logo is the same font as on the Record/Super Record Direct Mount brakes...
Is the ring spacing the same on 12 and 11s on Campags own chainsets (GFK?) ? It may work to replace the current rings with 12s, but this is not to say that this is the same spacing as a specifically 12 speed crank? I would be delighted if it were, and even more delighted if existing 11s rings would also work.
No, it is different. But I believe people like P2M and SRM are of the mind it is not different enough to matter. And that may very well be true. I am testing out all this stuff now as I have the same concerns you obviously do. Ever since they went to the HO design (Hydraulic Optimized), which really means “we had to modify things for 135mm rear dropout spacing”, I’ve had this feeling that ok... if they’ve optimized it for 135mm spacing but I still want to use it with 130mm spacing, where does that leave me. Because their current 11sp stuff was pretty optimized for 130mm spacing. But they’ve moved the chainline out 1mm. The distance between the rings is 0.2mm greater and all this translates to meaning that the inner ring is now 0.3mm further out and the the outer ring is 0.5mm further out than it was with “non optimized for disc spacing” 11sp. I’m fine with the extra 0.2mm between rings because the spacing was a little tight when crossed small/small, fine for my bikes but if you had short chainstays and a mid or compact crank, you would welcome that extra 0.2mm between the rings. I know you’re probably thinking “C’mon, 0.2mm is nothing”. It’s not much but I know it’s all I need sometimes for a perfect noise free, no rub install vs something less than that.
The thing I know is that with 12sp there is now a trim position, that actually is needed when on the big ring, versus no trim before while still being able to hit all the rear cogs cleanly. That was nice. So I think they’re compromising a bit in a way so they can have one crank for both 135mm and 130mm spacing. Shimano altered their ring spacing slightly as well if you recall for the same reasons. The new stuff is obviously better if you have disc spacing, but I’m not clear it is as good as the previous setup was for 130mm spacing. Chainline is important, especially when say, in that big/big combo. They actually say to avoid that combo and the small/small combo now, which is obviously good practice but was never explicitly stated before. Big/Big is certainly a combo that gets used, so I was not thrilled with the pushed out chainline, which would never have happened if they didn’t need to accommodate the disc brake spacing. That’s all I’ll say for now but I am testing the new stuff every which way but Sunday for the next while.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

AJS914 wrote:

There is a solution, but Campy really ought to do better from the start:

https://www.lfgss.com/comments/14153288/

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

BdaGhisallo wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

A little bit of Sugru will enable the removal of those zip ties!
Even better is the double sided Gorilla gel tape. Cut a piece exactly the size of the control units base and it sticks right on. Doesn’t get rid of the control unit’s location but it certainly does away with those zip ties.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

themidge wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

Only problem is you can’t plug the charger in. Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

List of wants and the chance Campag will accommodate me
  • Bar end interface - doesn’t look like it
    12 Speed - check
    11-32 capability - check
    More user friendly app interface - possibly
    11-25 and/or 11-27 cassette ratios - maybe

scb

by scb

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:35 pm
List of wants and the chance Campag will accommodate me
  • Bar end interface - doesn’t look like it
    12 Speed - check
    11-32 capability - check
    More user friendly app interface - possibly
    11-25 and/or 11-27 cassette ratios - maybe

1st item is why I might have to stay with 12 speed mechanical

Guevarca

by Guevarca

Some more images on this piece, also with close up of Lotto’s SRM with 12x2 rings, apologies if already posted
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/campagn ... ace-ready/

morrisond

by morrisond

I like Cyclingtips - but $100 per year? Give me a break.

$20-30 per year like a Magazine Subscription would be fine - but $100 with no cost of delivery - No Thank you.

AJS914

by AJS914

Just click "continue reading". You don't have to pay.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Only problem is you can’t plug the charger in. Doh!
I assume the guy uses V1/V2 so you can still charge the system. Otherwise insane.

neeb

by neeb

Any chance it won't be as heavy compared to 11sp EPS as 12sp mechanical is compared 11sp mechanical?

Once you take into account the limited cassette options mechanical 12sp Record is nearly 200g heavier than 11sp Record! That's just ridiculous. Admittedly with SR the weight penalty for going to 12sp is "only" a bit over 100g.

My hope is that the Record and SR ergos and derailleurs will be very close in weight, and not such a big weight increase over 11sp EPS. Running a P2M the crankset difference between Record and SR doesn't come into it, although the 12sp Record brakes are very heavy next to the SR ones (and more than 30g heavier than the 11sp Record brakes!).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com