Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

I've used both EPS11 and Etap. The Etap is marginally slower but it really is marginal and meaningless. Etap is very sweet to use and is certainly faster than mechanical.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:01 pm
I agree with the wireless issue.. I could personally care less about being wireless...

2 Things I care about:
1) A smaller DTI interface, fit in the end of the handlebar like Shimano.. should be really easy to do if you think about it..
2) A "narrower" 12 speed block like an 11-27 with the 16 or even better an 11-25 ... gotta admit being a Canadian flatland prairie chicken I use 7 gears all year and I can't remember the last time I used my 39 unless Im on vacation in the mountains!
From what I haev heard 1 is going to be there. Over time I would not be surprised to see more cassettes options too.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:52 pm
I do not know how 'slow' the wireless is in shifting, but it really works with video games and I cannot see why it would not be as fast on a bike. I can see that SRAM may be the fastest wireless system out there, but not the fastest it could be.

When it comes to hiding anything, I'm in. It just looks cleaner. Of course, functionality is also important.
Wireless can be laggy because the derailleurs have to "wake up" and then shift. It's a result of not having battery life enough to keep the electronics "fully" live all the time and still get enough shifts per charge for the system to be viable. You can search the SRAM patent - it's an interesting system but has that weakness (if weakness it is ...)

There are also the problems referred to, around 4 power sources to check for charge.

Campag's view is that they don't want a laggy system, since a good part of the reason to go electronic is speed of shift against a purely mechanical system. When battery costs for the type of performance needed fall (there are cells out there that will do it now but they are just too expensive), Campag wil do it. The inbuilt lag with current systems is a penalty not seen as worth paying, just for the sake of a small aesthetic gain and a practical gain that is only significant on initial build.

Re the LEDS - it's arguable that they are to some extent redundant now, if you connect via the MyCampy App ... ANT+ devices that recognise the Interface can show you battery level and the App is a superior diagnostics tool to the "process of elimination" routine needed if only the LEDs are used for problem solving. On a purely practical note, you don't generally need to do your initial set up or problem solving in bright sunlight, after all ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

LionelB

by LionelB

Well this sounds like a confirmation of the system been wired :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liam7020

by liam7020

Yep, my interest might be waning a tad.... We'll see.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

mag

by mag

I personally prefer wired solution as wireless introduces some additional challenges/limitations/issues the need to be dealt with and the degree to which they're dealth with successfully is still far from perfect:

- anything going via air is less reliable, prone to various kinds interference
- it introduces additional lag
- multiple batteries to look after

angrylegs

by angrylegs

I didn't think about the lag. I agree with Graeme and prefer wired until the better cells can be used. Maybe this iteration they were able to hide the junction box.

Seedster

by Seedster

@Graeme - has campagnolo app been updated to address Bluetooth issues with the the iPhone? I have two eps V3 bikes and the synchronization was so bad I don’t even bother trying to synchronize them anymore. It’s the most disappointing part of eps, which works great otherwise.

avispa

by avispa

Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Re the LEDS - it's arguable that they are to some extent redundant now, if you connect via the MyCampy App ... ANT+ devices that recognise the Interface can show you battery level and the App is a superior diagnostics tool to the "process of elimination" routine needed if only the LEDs are used for problem solving. On a purely practical note, you don't generally need to do your initial set up or problem solving in bright sunlight, after all ...
I agree.... I hardly check my battery levels looking at the LEDs once V3 came out, but I hardly, if ever, check the battery levels once I leave for a ride, since I make sure to have a properly charged battery the day before.

However, there's no argument when you take into consideration that another important use of looking at those LEDs outdoors is when one is doing an "on the fly" or "riding adjustment" as campy calls it.... Just imagine riding while pulling out your phone and launching an app! During this application the App is even more useless as the feature (or even zero offsetting the system) is not available as of today in it... oh and don't forget the placement of the interface where most of us have to put it now: under the stem! This is just about the most inconvenient place to put this thing...

I recall doing the riding adjustemnt with the V2 interface quite well... 1) the LEDs were brighter, tho smaller. 2) I was able to put the interface on the brake cable, the way Team Movistar used to put it... the V3 interface is like a giant beetle. It's impossible to conceal it anywhere other than under the stem with the rubber band.
Attachments
ALEJO.jpeg
Last edited by avispa on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.

avispa

by avispa

Seedster wrote:@Graeme - has campagnolo app been updated to address Bluetooth issues with the the iPhone? I have two eps V3 bikes and the synchronization was so bad I don’t even bother trying to synchronize them anymore. It’s the most disappointing part of eps, which works great otherwise.
What iPhone, may I ask? I've used the Campy app with the iPhone 7 and 8 and with versions 1.x and beyond... only had problems because of the way I was pairing the EPS to the phone otherwise these phones have worked great with the app.

Seedster

by Seedster

It was an iPhone 6+. I tried it once last week with the iPhone X and had similar issues establishing a connection.

avispa

by avispa

Seedster wrote:It was an iPhone 6+. I tried it once last week with the iPhone X and had similar issues establishing a connection.

Ok.... I'll test it out on the iPhone X and I'll post what I've found.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’ve had no problems pairing up with iPhone X. The app itself left a lot to be desired however. But I believe there’s a newer update since the last time I used it. I did go through all the features to educate myself as to what it could do and the various options for different configurations etc. In the end I decided none were better (just different) than the standard configuration of buttons and levers which mimic the mechanical operation. But if you had some physical limitations with hands/fingers there are all kinds of ways you could get around those and still have full functionality of your bike, even if you had only one arm and one lever to work with. Yes, you could actually have all shifting functions, front and rear, available from a single lever. At least that was the theory. The app seemed flaky enough that I was a bit wary of testing it out for real so I left well enough alone. I did start a thread about EPS to find out how others might be using these features. Not a lot of departures from standard configurations it seemed. Most of the comments seemed to be centered around getting the app to pair and update firmware properly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

scb

by scb

Since V2 of MyCampy came out, I'm not having any issues connecting/pairing, but I only use it to set shifting to sport and to update firmware. I'm using Iphone X with IOS 12 now 12.1

Seedster

by Seedster

Thanks everyone. attempted the pairing and it went smoothly with my iPhone X. This updated version is a vast improvemeent over its predecessor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com