Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

AC0 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:27 am
Dropped by La Bicicletta in Toronto and the owner's bike with Super Record 12 was on a workstand. Took some pictures for those that haven't had the chance to see it in the flesh.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Lbp9RDjepHY1Gw59

A few observations:

Design wise, they are going more angular, except for the crank which has fewer sharp lines. I like it better than the previous 4 arm cranks. The spider arms feel a bit thinner than the previous ones as well.

The stiffening bridge on the crank does not have additional bolts to attach to the rings. There are some notches in the bridge, so maybe there is some mechanical interface.

The rear derailleur looks pretty good in person.

The thumb button is very easy to reach from the drops.

Shifts still feel like campagnolo, lots of tactile feedback.

AC

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Good to know stuff... the thinner spider arms would make sense due to the change in the chainline and why P2Max and (possibly) SRM need to redesign the powermeter to accomodate...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@ooo: Ha... I’ve already been trying to see beyond the prettiness and looking at those hanger specs and comparing them to Shimano. At first I thought they’d be exactly the same because really, do we need another hanger spec thrown into the mix. The bad news is that they’re not exactly the same, but the good news is that they’re both within each other’s margins of acceptability.... so big “Whew!” As for that thread from last winter you linked to I have more to add to that but just haven’t got to it yet.
Thanks for posting the new Campy hanger specs here. I’ll be looking forward to seeing how everything works and adjusts compared to the latest Shimano derailleurs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mag

by mag

Well, the whole RD tech. manual is already available online
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _05_18.pdf

And the FD one as well
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _04_18.pdf

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, some good info in those docs for the technically inclined. One thing about the front derailleur I’ve noticed is that there’s actually a trim position while in the big ring. Hmmm... wonder if that’s due to the revised spacing to accommodate discs, as opposed to just being 12sp, since the cassette width is the same as 11sp I think. Anyway, was kind of nice having no trim position on 11sp as you were able to hit all cogs cleanly when in the big ring with no front derailleur rub.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am glad trim is back. I wish the full ractchet was back for the front shifter as that was perfection.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, there was always the trim on the small ring but why would you want trim on the big ring if it was unnecessary (as is the case with current 11sp) in a properly adjusted system. Once on the big ring, you don’t touch it until you want to change rings.

The full ratcheting system of old is one step removed from friction shifting.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Cal, I can trim the FD on my 2015 SR, but the set up is not something you'd consider properly adjusted. Although, it never misshifts. I just have more tolerance for chain rub, noise and skipping.

Campy is so weird.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Beeatnik: if I ever get to LA I’m looking you up and going to set that bike of yours up right. It’s too nice not to be perfect. There is no trim on the big ring. Once there you shouldn’t touch it and you should be able to hit all cogs cleanly. When shifting back to the small ring, there’s a little detent (click) on the way that you just pass right on through to the stop and you’ll be on the small ring at that point. As you move up the casestte there will be one more click available (around the 3rd or 4th largest cog) which puts the derailleur to its inner most point. That bypass click on the way down from the big ring is in no man’s land. That should be a pretty unusable position. But on the way down the cassette there’s potentially 3 clicks to get you to the big ring, depending upon where you start from.

LA is so weird. Right now I’m enjoying a fishwrap that would put your taco trucks to shame. The perfect day here.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

Calnago wrote: LA is so weird. Right now I’m enjoying a fishwrap that would put your taco trucks to shame. The perfect day here.
Those are fighting words...

Regarding the FD setup, ya, it shouldn't trim when setup correctly and I can big big to my heart's content. Beatnik lives close enough to me that I may be obligated to go over there and set him right.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha. I’ll set ya both up for a taco.
P.s., I bet 12sp would get me home a whole lot faster. :)

RyanH

by RyanH

It's not 1x so any performance benefit is negated...

mag

by mag

(deleted)
Last edited by mag on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:11 pm
Ha. I’ll set ya both up for a taco.
P.s., I bet 12sp would get me home a whole lot faster. :)
What I'm calling trim is just moving the cage inboard ever so slightly by applying the smallest amout of pressure on the thumb shifter, basically guiding it enough so that I eliminate chain rub. Obviously, I stop before I hear the click. But ya, all the clicks are there and no chain drops.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

AC0 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:27 am
Dropped by La Bicicletta in Toronto and the owner's bike with Super Record 12 was on a workstand. Took some pictures for those that haven't had the chance to see it in the flesh.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Lbp9RDjepHY1Gw59
Looks ok. For my own taste it would have benefitted from having small bits of brushed aluminum here and there for contrast, so as to better be able to admire form, as opposed to the all-black look on components, and I'm not fond of that crank with the center just being this glob of material as it blends down from the crank arm - Shimano does that too, and it's a current trend, possibly even a slight bit more aero and definitely stiffer, but I don't like it. I remember when Campy cranks in particular were things of art. I'd have liked those chainrings to be brushed aluminum like the Record 10 of old, but even without that, the form is less a thing of beauty. Still, it's Campy - I'm quite confident the feel and performance is stellar - and that's the most important thing. Trying to figure out how to build new bike with it. Won't happen until next year, which I suppose for supply and demand works in my favor.
RyanH wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:27 pm
It's not 1x so any performance benefit is negated...
Well, aside from possible performance improvements in trim or feel and it's not being a 1x, that's true, but I'm in it primarily for the new cassette options which I do consider a benefit. Plus, having a new thing, especially Campy, is always glorious. :D

LionelB

by LionelB

What is the ETA on EPS 12s ? End of the year ?

Wireless "for sure" ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com