Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Moltobene

by Moltobene

welchy wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:18 pm

I'm just running standard campy bearings on my record 12, but ive replaced the DS bearings twice and non DS once, I feel the quality isn't the best, but the price is! At something like $30 a set rather than $120 for CUlT etc I don't mind changing them out, i'm using the eBay chinese (probably) UT tool and has worked brilliantly, better than speding $300 on the campy tool!
I was able to get FAG 6805 bearings for Powertorque for the same price of the Campa Ultratorque bearings. Hence why I am asking if there's a way of getting bearings of that kind of quality. You're probably right that the price isn't too bad for what they offer, but I was wondering if there is a better solution.

Attermann

by Attermann

just buy the CULT bearings, they can easily last 50000 km, and are in the long run a lot cheaper than anything else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Moltobene

by Moltobene

Attermann wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:20 pm
just buy the CULT bearings, they can easily last 50000 km, and are in the long run a lot cheaper than anything else.
This is probably what I'm gonna do, but wanted to know if there's a better option (at least for the price).

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'll agree with that. I finally replaced my first SR bearings because I suspected they were worn. They were not and now sit in my tool box as a spare. They were easily 8 years old.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Ok, this thread is super long, so please forgive me if my question has been asked 700 times already. What do I need to know about running a 12speed Chorus crank with 2015 11sp Record derailleurs and cassette on a 2011 BMC Team Machine? Do I run the 12 speed chain or 11 speed chain? How fiddly is the shifting to get sorted? Is this going to work ok? Thanks

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

The shifting for the Campy 12sp mech FD is the most fiddly thing for setup but that being said this is not a worry for you dereksmalls. I would have np running the 12sp chain with your 12sp crank and 11sp shifters. The risk of running the 11sp chain with the 12sp crank could be constant scrubbing of the chain on the big ring when in the small ring and also the big ring teeth picking the chain when you are in the small front and small cogs rear(crosschain). The 12sp chain will shift quicker on the rear cogs which is nice and all you will need to do is set the min/max screws on the FD.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thanks. I'll need to dig out the 12 speed chain I've got in a box somewhere.

caballero

by caballero

I saw today a proto Campagnolo groupset that is in the final stages of being tested.

I was told, and could see - 13 speed / wireless / updated brake calipers... and separate buttons like Shimanos sprint shifters !!

was still in aluminum so unsure of what the final finish will look like.

Should be a nice successor to the eps 12 speed.

corky

by corky

caballero wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:32 am
I saw today a proto Campagnolo groupset that is in the final stages of being tested.

I was told, and could see - 13 speed / wireless / updated brake calipers... and separate buttons like Shimanos sprint shifters !!

There are rumours of a Campagnolo announcement at the end of April..... wether that relates to this or not, I don't know.
But.... I think this makes sense and will make a lot of people happy.....especially the wireless bit.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

This would be amazing for a new wireless 13 speed.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

gorkypl

by gorkypl

In Campagnolo case wireless may make more sense than with Shimano (non-detachable cables), and I am curious about the updated callipers - will it mean even different version than in Ekar?
Overall I am not into electronic - especially wireless - shifting on my bikes (beacuse of philosophy, not money), but I guess they must have done this to keep up with the market.
Hydraulic braking will definitely welcome updates though, and if they can refine mechanical shifting while going to 13s, then it will be big.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

usr

by usr

No mention of hood shape is bad news

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

caballero wrote:

Could you make out if it was fully wireless like SRAM or semi-wireless like Shimano? I hope it's the former and retains 12s mechanical's DM hanger compatiblity using RD-SR105. I also wonder if 13s will be EPS only? According to CeramicSpeed the take rates for EPS over mechanical meant that it wasn't enough to justify designing an OSPW for the latter.
Last edited by StiffWeenies on Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GaBa

by GaBa

How about rim brakes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

caballero wrote:

That could be the hopefully lower cost version which would probably have to be Aluminum to keep the cost down.

It's time for Campy to simplify. Super Record in Carbon - then Chorus (or Potenza) in Aluminum.