Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Another 2-3 years reading “12 is nosense”.

Then another 5 reading “Campy just copies what Shimano does. Dead in no time”

AJS914

by AJS914

It seems like it is to Campy's advantage that their 11 speed cassette lines up almost perfectly with Shimano and SRAM. If they go to 12 speeds they will be the odd man out.

Here is where I wish the three major manufacturers would decide together on 12 speed cassette spacing.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:31 pm
It seems like it is to Campy's advantage that their 11 speed cassette lines up almost perfectly with Shimano and SRAM. If they go to 12 speeds they will be the odd man out.

Here is where I wish the three major manufacturers would decide together on 12 speed cassette spacing.
And also do away with the proprietry freehub, tools, shift/brake cables, BCD etc. Having said that, as a reluctant campy fan-boy, I'll be moving to twleve speed when it comes out in 2019/20

TBH it wouldnt surprise me if the new groupset had troublesome RD indexing which is anything but good news to those all too common mechanics who are allergic to Campy.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Miller

by Miller

I'm doubtful of a move to 12sp by Campag any time soon, they released the disc groups just 10 months ago with revised derailleurs and chainsets, why would they obsolete those already by going to 12sp? EPS is due a refresh, I'd put that next on the list.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Since we’re speculating, I’d agree with @Miller above. EPS could use a refresh. Since 2015, the geometry of their rear derailleur lags behind the mechanical version with its ability to wrap more of the cassette. Then Shimano, with their 9100 stuff took the “wrap” to such an extreme that it makes rear wheel removal rather difficult on some frames, but shifting is great. So, yes... an update to EPS would seem to be next in line. Although I’ve seen snippets of a new crank, which of course could apply to both EPS and Mechanical. Who knows.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Shimano’s current 11-34 Ultegra cassette already fits on a 10-speed freehub. It would be easy for Shimano to add a 12th cog, such as the 12 tooth cog which the 11-34 currently lacks. The challenge of a 12-speed system is on the smaller cassettes such as the 11-28, which is what apparently Campy has managed to solve. I wish those using the larger cassettes like myself could see a 12-speed system from Shimano. It makes a lot of sense and it wouldn’t require special tricks or patents to develop such system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Yes, 11-23 here I come...

AJS914

by AJS914

It wouldn't surprise me if the bike industry goes to 135mm for road bikes. They are already there for disc brake bikes. 135mm paves the way for 12 speeds.

Are slightly longer chain stays a real problem for racing bikes?

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

I love Campagnolo as I’ve been on it since the late ‘70s. But damn, they still haven’t developed a proper way way to join a chain less a moronic $150 tool. It’s just nuts really. A 19th century way of joining a chain. Even Shimano has developed a proper tooless link that now ships with Dura Ace chains (others too I imagine). I’d wager more chains break pinned than with quick links. 12 gears and thinner chains is the last thing Campagnolo needs to work on. They should also develop some pedals too! Campy was always the pillar of genius product development.

robertbb

by robertbb

Calnago wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:41 am
I’ve seen snippets of a new crank, which of course could apply to both EPS and Mechanical. Who knows.
Anything you're able to share RE: the crank?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:47 am
It wouldn't surprise me if the bike industry goes to 135mm for road bikes. They are already there for disc brake bikes. 135mm paves the way for 12 speeds.

Are slightly longer chain stays a real problem for racing bikes?
135mm rim-brake hubs do already exist, but there's hardly any reason to design a regular road bike around them.

Bracing angles won't be changing. SRAM XDR bodies are the same width as Shimano 11spd road freehub bodies. Campagnolo 12spd bodies are almost certainly going to be the same width as current 11spd Campy bodies. Besides the vast majority of new bikes sold from now on will be 142mm OLD and disc-brake equipped.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

They mist be looking at updating EPS which is getting long in the tooth. I would love a wireless system with existing 11 speed with the option of running am 11-32 cassette. I really liked the overtorque chainset which was am elegant solution of mating the nds to ds crank much better than a hirth joint in terms of removal.

Campag should also looking at teaming up with an existing pm manufacturer to release a lightweight pm.

Realistically though the Shimano and Sram will always have a much bigger r&d budget so campag may have to accept that they will always be outgunned on electronic shifting and look to perfect mechanical grouppos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The next change will be direct mount rear derailleurs according to campag. I'd expect that on the next EPs. That also may consider with 12speed.

If a 12 speed cassette had the same spacing as 11 speed then a 12 speed cassette could be the super wide range with a heavily dished big sprocket and 11 speed would be the standard road cassette. Eos would make that possible as both could be programmed in to mycampy.

This would then cover the raid and gravel market.

Shimano standards are proprietary I don't see folk complaining about them. If campagnolo adopted those standards well why would they.