Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scb

by scb

For me, it would be a bonus to be wireless. I want to be able to hide the module with no cables showing, and 12 speed is nice but not absolutely necessary for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

angrylegs

by angrylegs

They certainly would sell a lot more gruppo if it was wireless, just on people upgrading alone. I'm going with whatever it is, since I'm building a new bike and have had Record 10 mechanical all this time. I figure it's time to go with EPS and skipping 11 altogether, since it's been out about a decade and I never was able to upgrade all that time - and didn't really need to - but certainly will now, wireless or no. Would be fantastic if it was wireless though.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Not having some wireless solution in 2018 is a total fail. 12 speed is a fail with its two stupid limited cassettes. For the first time in 30 years I may have to go sh*tmao on a bike.

elSid

by elSid

Guys, we've lost M3Coupe.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

elSid wrote:Guys, we've lost M3Coupe.
Oh well. Can’t have been a true believer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:26 am
Not having some wireless solution in 2018 is a total fail. 12 speed is a fail with its two stupid limited cassettes. For the first time in 30 years I may have to go sh*tmao on a bike.
Is Shimano wireless already? Didn't know that.

c60rider

by c60rider

r4nd0mv4r14bl3 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 am
MyM3Coupe wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:26 am
Is Shimano wireless already? Didn't know that.
Plus there is zero evidence that Campagnolo aren't bringing out a wireless system. Until it's officially announced nobody knows. Graeme fk knows and he's said there are some surprises to come. Anything of 12eps we've seen being used by lotto soudal riders isn't going to be at all representative of what we get in public. So wait and see before assuming.

LionelB

by LionelB

I really wish they would go wireless and still hope they do but the latest I have heard (second hand stuff) is that it is wired with the junction box being wireless (ie bluetooth) for configuration etc....

bruno2000

by bruno2000

LionelB wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:34 am
I really wish they would go wireless and still hope they do but the latest I have heard (second hand stuff) is that it is wired with the junction box being wireless (ie bluetooth) for configuration etc....

Do you mean the shifters being wired to the interface below the stem and the derailleur being wired to the power unit in the seatpost?
But no wires between the power unit and the interface?

LionelB

by LionelB

bruno2000 wrote:
LionelB wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:34 am

Do you mean the shifters being wired to the interface below the stem and the derailleur being wired to the power unit in the seatpost?
But no wires between the power unit and the interface?
My understanding was wires everywhere and junction box at the end of the bars with a wireless interface to configure things. Disclaimer, second hand info

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The “junction box” (V3 EPS interface) is already currently Bluetooth and connects wirelessly to the MyCampy app for the various configuration and update functions. Think the biggest change may simply be the hiding of the interface in the bars or somewhere, utilizing whatever bars/stems will allow that. Don’t know, but aside from initial setup, don’t see the big deal for wireless if the wires can all get hidden anyway. Wireless is slower, and every component then needs its own power source and while it’s subjective, I think those external batteries on eTap derailleurs just add a lot of bulk and are hideous looking.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I do not know how 'slow' the wireless is in shifting, but it really works with video games and I cannot see why it would not be as fast on a bike. I can see that SRAM may be the fastest wireless system out there, but not the fastest it could be.

When it comes to hiding anything, I'm in. It just looks cleaner. Of course, functionality is also important.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

For those of you wanting v4 to be wireless, be careful what you wish for.

Di2 is demonstrably faster shifting than Etap. https://youtu.be/BqTsxsly3pA

I’ve recently added a Di2 bike to my stable. Stock Di2 & EPS are near as damn it identical in shift speed from what I can see. Dura Ace 9150 doesn’t put me off EPS 12 speed. It’s not amazingly fast compared to EPS 11.

So all I can see wireless bringing is easier assembly & bigger headaches if I need to troubleshoot. Waste of time IMO.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I agree with the wireless issue.. I could personally care less about being wireless...

2 Things I care about:
1) A smaller DTI interface, fit in the end of the handlebar like Shimano.. should be really easy to do if you think about it..
2) A "narrower" 12 speed block like an 11-27 with the 16 or even better an 11-25 ... gotta admit being a Canadian flatland prairie chicken I use 7 gears all year and I can't remember the last time I used my 39 unless Im on vacation in the mountains!

avispa

by avispa

ultimobici wrote:For those of you wanting v4 to be wireless, be careful what you wish for.

I’ve recently added a Di2 bike to my stable. Stock Di2 & EPS are near as damn it identical in shift speed from what I can see. Dura Ace 9150 doesn’t put me off EPS 12 speed. It’s not amazingly fast compared to EPS 11.

So all I can see wireless bringing is easier assembly & bigger headaches if I need to troubleshoot. Waste of time IMO.
Nice explanations on the video.... I am not so much for wireless as I am for modernizing that damn interface that Campy uses... it's too large and bulky... the LEDs have been a step backwards too.... have you tried to look at them in bright sunlight? The interface needs to be hidden somewhere!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com