Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomato

by tomato

Butcher wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:55 pm
As much force as the front EPS derailluer can provide, I suspect, without the clip, shifting to the big ring would not be as good. My clip is always installed and could not share what the difference are if it is not.
My Power2Max crankset is presently used with EPS. There is no degradation in shifting when the C-clip is omitted. YMMV.

DaveS

by DaveS

I'd have to read the c-bear installation instructions. It obviously doesn't work exactly like a Campy BB, so comparing the lack of a clip means nothing. I can't seem to find a link to the instructions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Clip or no clip, it's never made a blind bit of difference to my EPS front shifting.

usr

by usr

If the frame is on the wide end of the BB shell width tolerance the clip clearly can't make a difference because the wavy will bottom out before the DS bearing can hit the clip. But if the BB shell happens to be on the narrow end, where the wavy reaches its range, the clip can very well stop lateral movement before the wavy is fully collapsed. It all depends on the individual frame.

tomato

by tomato

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:13 pm
As a relevant observation, C-Bear UT BBs do not use the clip.
I've seen several third party BB cups for Campy UT that don't use a clip.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Since a clip keeps the crank from excessively moving side to side, there is no reason to think that is the only solution for that problem. A company could design their BB to resolve the backlash issue numerous ways. Since there are plenty of tolerences in the biking industry, I think it was a very simple solution for Campanolo to use a clip. It's really hard to screw that up.

Yoaqim

by Yoaqim

DaveS wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 1:36 pm
I can sure tell that most Campy users have a low level of mechanical knowledge. As a mechanical engineer, I understand the clip. It has nothing to do with safety. If it's removed, the crank can move far to the right, squashing the wave washer and unloading the right side bearing. The wave washer pushes the whole assembly to the left, preloading both bearings. Not using it is stupid. The clip keeps both bearings loaded and limits the possible side movement to a very small amount.
DaveS, good to have a mechanical engineer here.
I wonder if bearing preload is a precondition for longevity of the bearings?
To get rid of annoying clicking noise from the bottom bracket I have set up my SR crankset with the Bbinfinite CNC machined one piece bottom bracket shell which is glued into the BB86 openings.
https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb8 ... 9851448323

The crankset is being mounted without safety clip and wave washer. When torqued, the crankset has still approx 1 mm lateral play. Bbinfinite says this is to compensate manufacturing tolerances of the axis and recommends glueing the bearings into the shell. To avoid difficulties when disassembling the crankset for servicing, rather than glueing in the bearings I removed the axial play with teflon shims on the NDS. Shims are provided by RogueMechanic.
https://www.mavicparts.com/products/rog ... essfit-new

The crankset spins effortlessly however after 3000 km I am noticing a slight lateral play coming back. Is this due to lack of bearing preload, should I glue in the bearings?
Grateful for your reply.

F10

by F10

Yoaqim wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:49 am
DaveS wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 1:36 pm
I can sure tell that most Campy users have a low level of mechanical knowledge. As a mechanical engineer, I understand the clip. It has nothing to do with safety. If it's removed, the crank can move far to the right, squashing the wave washer and unloading the right side bearing. The wave washer pushes the whole assembly to the left, preloading both bearings. Not using it is stupid. The clip keeps both bearings loaded and limits the possible side movement to a very small amount.
DaveS, good to have a mechanical engineer here.
I wonder if bearing preload is a precondition for longevity of the bearings?
To get rid of annoying clicking noise from the bottom bracket I have set up my SR crankset with the Bbinfinite CNC machined one piece bottom bracket shell which is glued into the BB86 openings.
https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb8 ... 9851448323

The crankset is being mounted without safety clip and wave washer. When torqued, the crankset has still approx 1 mm lateral play. Bbinfinite says this is to compensate manufacturing tolerances of the axis and recommends glueing the bearings into the shell. To avoid difficulties when disassembling the crankset for servicing, rather than glueing in the bearings I removed the axial play with teflon shims on the NDS. Shims are provided by RogueMechanic.
https://www.mavicparts.com/products/rog ... essfit-new

The crankset spins effortlessly however after 3000 km I am noticing a slight lateral play coming back. Is this due to lack of bearing preload, should I glue in the bearings?
Grateful for your reply.
Don't like the sound of that at all. Glueing bearings?!

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Somebody has experience or tips with converting a Super Record 12v rear derailleur to a direct mount drop out?
If I follow the Campagnolo Manuel you need an axtra screw?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Somebody has experience or tips with converting a Super Record 12v rear derailleur to a direct mount drop out?

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

bruno2000 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:42 pm
There is a little bit of talk about this on pages 257 and 258 of this thread, with a picture.
I purchased the Sigeyi DM rear derailleur hanger and the required Campagnolo screw kit (very hard to find, item code RD-SR105), only to find out only the mechanical version can be converted to direct mount and not the electronic version.
Well, I'm not 100% sure, but my SR EPS 12s rear derailleur is on the way too, so I'll find out soon if I still have any use for the DM derailleur hanger and that screw kit...

DaveS

by DaveS

@Yoaqim

By your description, you did not follow the manufacturer's instructions. They say to use vibra-tite 530 on the bearing ODs and push the drive side crank firmly into the cup, which establishes the proper chain line. After the vibra-tite cures, there is no preload on the bearings and there is very little side play, unless the vibra-tite fails to perform as expected. The outer bearing races are glued to the one piece housing and the inner races are press fit onto the spindle. The two races on each bearing do have a very small amount of side play, so the crank could move side to side by a very small amount. I've got some new Campy bearings. I'll see if I can measure the side play.

I checked my new Campy crank bearings and found the side play too small to measure. Of course it will increase with use, but probably still very small.
Last edited by DaveS on Tue May 18, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

jdecraene85 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:21 pm
bruno2000 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:42 pm
There is a little bit of talk about this on pages 257 and 258 of this thread, with a picture.
I purchased the Sigeyi DM rear derailleur hanger and the required Campagnolo screw kit (very hard to find, item code RD-SR105), only to find out only the mechanical version can be converted to direct mount and not the electronic version.
Well, I'm not 100% sure, but my SR EPS 12s rear derailleur is on the way too, so I'll find out soon if I still have any use for the DM derailleur hanger and that screw kit...
Thank you for th einfo.
I bought a Sigeyi hanger too for my Pina F12.
Would there be a way around the extra screw?

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

12 speed install vids has the instructions on how to covert to direct mount...check with frame manufacturer to see if RD hanger is direct mount compatible...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bruno2000

by bruno2000

rudye9mr wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:23 pm
12 speed install vids has the instructions on how to covert to direct mount...check with frame manufacturer to see if RD hanger is direct mount compatible...
Yes I saw the vid.
eberything is compatbli.
Only it appears you need a special limi screw which is not delivered with the derailleur.
So typically Campa...