Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ooo

by ooo

avispa wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:17 pm
ooo wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:10 pm
May be this prototype have 11s hardware under cover with 12s software + 12s pulleys to work with 12s?
This is non "shadow" design with offset guide pulley axle, it will be strange if they will not use new design for 12s eps
Campagnolo needs some time to test eps with shadow design, for shimano it was not a problem because they have it on mtb di2.

Image Image
I am trying to understand your post... Where is the 11sp hardware on this picture? That is a pretty well finished prototype of a 12sp rear derailleur. What I do notice it that the 12sp EPS derailleur in this setup is not using the derailleur a direct mount set-up as the mechanical derailleur...
1)
on first picture - top pulley axle location is offset to cage mount axle location
on second picture - top pulley axle location = cage mount axle location

2)
on first picture - rd body rotates around bolt inserted in standard hanger location
on second picture - rd body rotates around bolt behind hanger (offset by shadow link extenstion)
'

avispa

by avispa

avispa wrote:
ooo wrote:
May be this prototype have 11s hardware under cover with 12s software + 12s pulleys to work with 12s?
This is non "shadow" design with offset guide pulley axle, it will be strange if they will not use new design for 12s eps
Campagnolo needs some time to test eps with shadow design, for shimano it was not a problem because they have it on mtb di2.

I am trying to understand your post... Where is the 11sp hardware on this picture? That is a pretty well finished prototype of a 12sp rear derailleur. What I do notice it that the 12sp EPS derailleur in this setup is not using the derailleur a direct mount set-up as the mechanical derailleur...
1)
on first picture - top pulley axle location is offset to cage mount axle location

2)
on first picture - rd body rotates around bolt inserted in standard hanger location
on second picture - rd body rotates around bolt behind hanger (offset by shadow link extenstion)

Thanks for the clarification... But you'd think that with a November 2018 announcement of EPS V4 (12sp) this has to be a very well finished product, minus decals... IMO, the placement of the pulley axle differences could be due to the the intricate diffrences between a cable pulled derailleur (mechanical) vs a motor driven derailleur (EPS).

Also, the "test" of this group could very well be on a Chorus Level groupset, where the components are metal vs carbon. This is not to say that the SR, Record and Chorus groups will be very different on the EPS V4 lineup. They could all have the pulley axles in the same location and I also think that they will release a cheaper Chorus 12sp version for EPS. Why go to the expense of making a protoytpe metal rear derailleur this far into production?

Campagnolo has been great at surprising us in the past with their new offreings, much more than Shimano or others have, I believe... I can't see why they wouldn't do it this time around. Maybe their new V4 12sp groups will be totally intercahngeable? I mean mix and match SR, R and Chorus parts for simplicity and money savings? Maybe their SR will have some wireless capabilities, not seen on their Chorus line?

The time to live or die has come to Campganolo on 2018!!! They have made great advancements on their MyCampy App. I couldn't see why they will not continue that momemtum on their most technologically advanced groupset(s).

Cheers
Last edited by avispa on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Nothing has to be "ready" to announce anything.. once they figure its "dialed" they will announce it.. look how long it took for 12s mech to actually become widely available.It probably took 3 months.. and even to this date when I search the 175 53/39 crankset it seems very sparse.. They will probably ramp up more for EPS... Campy USA told me not expect anything over here until early 2019.. its only just turned October, and a November announcement still literally leaves almost 60 days... Pro teams will be covered first with the season starting in January which would make sense.. we'll probably start seeing steady availability around March...

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

c60rider wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:12 pm
So visiting the cycle show in the UK this weekend I asked Graeme on P2M claiming that their spider is now compatible with both 11 and 12 speed. The feedback was that it is definitely NOT compatible with the reason being that the spacing is incorrect. So I think what I read into that is the 12 speed rings will fit onto the spider, and it will have to be the Record rings as the SR are different, but there is a fraction of a millimetre difference in the gap because of the 12 rings being slightly thinner and needing a tiny bit less gap. Campagnolo won't endorse it but I guess P2M have tested it and found it works without any problems. That's great however, for me, there are several issues. If I did that, will P2M warranty my kit as I'm not using what Campagnolo recommends so my warranty with Campagnolo is likely void. And I don't want 11 speed on my cranks when using 12 speed. It's all very messy and I think we need P2M to come out and say exactly what the difference is and if they are going to warranty it or come to an agreement with Campagnolo before I pull the trigger on this. It's all getting too close on tolerances yet Campagnolo contradict themselves a bit by saying the new 12 crankset is compatible with both rim and disc brakes whereas the 11 speed needed a new crankset to change the Q angle. Well 12 speed cranks can't be perfect for both rim and disc! The Q angle must be somewhere in between what would be perfect for rim and disc but they're not saying how much of a fraction of a mm difference that is. I suspect the same is the case with P2M 11/12 rings working on the same spider.
Assuming UAE and Movistar are both being sponsored next year it will probably be clearer. I can imagine they'll be using 12 rings as P2M claim and probably have no issues but using 11 cranks.
Not quite correct.

12v and 11s HO / H11 have re-profiled chainring teeth which in combination with a revised chainline at plus 1 mm (44.5 mm +/- 0.5mm) means that we have good shift function on both rim (130 OLN) and disc (135mm effective OLN). This also, to acheive what is required, needs to be used in partnership with the revised RDs (in the case of 11s) - so there is no contradiction at all.

Q factor (lateral dispalcement of outside surface of crank to outside suface of opposite crank) is the same between all three cranksets, 11s, 11s H11 and 12s - standard and HO and it is to maintain Q & U factor (ankle clearance) that the changes made to enable good function on both rim and disc is made predominantly in the rings - the ring spacing in 11s HO is also modified as an extension of the chainline problem is that of "rattle" of the chain on the back of the big chainring when running cross-chained small-small combinations (yes, we all know you shouldn't but in the real world, users do).

There is no "Q angle".

Can I use rim 11s with 11s disc, can I use 11s rim or disc with 12s, will the chain mesh, etc, etc?
Well, it "may" work, it "may" work to *your* satisfaction but it won't work to *Campagnolo's* satisfaction so if you do it, you are on your own and it's no good complaining that "Campagnolo doesn't work properly" if you stray away from what they recommend. I've seen gear systems "working" to the user's satisfaction that I would not allow outside my workshop in a million years but they appear perfectly happy ... seems just plain daft to me to spend a lot of money for a top-of-the-line component group and frame, then to try and cut corners and have to accept compromised function and no warranty as a result.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times - don't look at what the pro teams are doing and take it as good, safe or acceptable practice as an end-user - we / Campagnolo use the pro teams (as do P2M and everyone else in partnership with them) in part as test-beds - sometimes they'll be running a stock solution, sometimes they won't, sometimes it'll be something that Campagnolo are experimenting with, sometimes it will be something that is already 100% and sometimes they are just playing "what if?" That's a big part of sponsorship, alongside the obvious benefit of putting the brand out there - and is part of the reason why Campagnolo like long term relationships like the one they have with Movistar - we get excellent feedback from them, as we do from Lotto-Soudal, UAE and so on.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

avispa wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:12 pm
avispa wrote:
ooo wrote:

1)

2)

Thanks for the clarification... But you'd think that with a November 2018 announcement of EPS V4 (12sp) this has to be a very well finished product, minus decals... IMO, the placement of the pulley axle differences could be due to the the intricate diffrences between a cable pulled derailleur (mechanical) vs a motor driven derailleur (EPS).

Also, the "test" of this group could very well be on a Chorus Level groupset, where the components are metal vs carbon. This is not to say that the SR, Record and Chorus groups will be very different on the EPS V4 lineup. They could all have the pulley axles in the same location and I also think that they will release a cheaper Chorus 12sp version for EPS. Why go to the expense of making a protoytpe metal rear derailleur this far into production?

Campagnolo has been great at surprising us in the past with their new offreings, much more than Shimano or others have, I believe... I can't see why they wouldn't do it this time around. Maybe their new V4 12sp groups will be totally intercahngeable? I mean mix and match SR, R and Chorus parts for simplicity and money savings? Maybe their SR will have some wireless capabilities, not seen on their Chorus line?

The time to live or die has come to Campganolo on 2018!!! They have made great advancements on their MyCampy App. I couldn't see why they will not continue that momemtum on their most technologically advanced groupset(s).

Cheers
I wouldn't take anything you have seen so far as in any way definitive.

I'm not saying these shots are not of a late version proto of 12s EPS and I am not saying they are ... and it may look and work that way, it may not. You might be looking at a proto for something else entirely ... I know it's fun to guess and debate of course :-D

Personally I am pleased that it's recognised (at least in some quarters) that Campagnolo are still innovating, still pushing the technical boundaries and capabilities of the materials. It's an exciting time to be in the industry and an exciting time to be working with Campagnolo - there are still surprises to come :-D
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k

by graeme_f_k

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 am
Short answer. Nope. 11-29 or 11-32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Open debate, I'd say "unlikely" ... rather than a flat "no"

mag

by mag

Thanks @graeme_f_k for Your contributions, always valuable information.

Regarding those 11s/12s "wild" combinations and what do pro teams use I'm only wondering about the P2M's claims that their current Campy PMs are good to go with 12s groupsets even though they clearly have done nothing to their PM's construction. I don't have any insight into the background of their relationship with the Campagnolo, but I tend to believe that they wouldn't dare to put out such compatibility claims without having approval from the Campagnolo themselves. I actually sent a question to the Campagnolo about their stance regarding this and whether they consider the P2M + 12s groupset combination as fully supported one or not, however no reply so far. Of course P2M will claim this combination is fine and I'm sure it will work (with an asterisk perhaps), but the situation is pretty confusing and there's no solid information from an authoritative source on this whole thing.

Also they don't make ti clear which big 12s chainrings to use with their power meter. I'd say Record ones are the way to go (since the SR ones are slightly different) but there's no official information.

Since You've got some good technical contacts, perhaps You could help us all by persuading them to provide some official clarification? That would be great. I'd like to purchase the P2M power meter to be used with the the 12s groupset, but in the current situation I'm really hesitant to do so.

LionelB

by LionelB

graeme_f_k wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 pm
there are still surprises to come :-D
I hope one of them is that the damn thing is actually wireless :D But it seems highly unlikely at this point....

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

LionelB wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 pm
graeme_f_k wrote:
I hope one of them is that the damn thing is actually wireless :D But it seems highly unlikely at this point....
I wouldnt put anything past them... they kept that 12 speed mech pretty quiet!

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I just bought a 6-piece 12spd groupset (no brakes or cranks) which I plan to used with 11spd chainrings on a Type-S power2max. I'll let ya'll know to what degree it works in the coming weeks!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

dgasmd

by dgasmd

LionelB wrote:
graeme_f_k wrote:
I hear you. I’m patiently waiting to see if it goes wires less, which may be the o my way for me to make 3 bikes go from 11 to12sp.

mag

by mag

zappafile123 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:13 pm
I just bought a 6-piece 12spd groupset (no brakes or cranks) which I plan to used with 11spd chainrings on a Type-S power2max. I'll let ya'll know to what degree it works in the coming weeks!
I think You'd better add 12s chainrings to the set.

c60rider

by c60rider

mag wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pm
zappafile123 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:13 pm
I think You'd better add 12s chainrings to the set.
I'd take a bet the 11 speed rings will work. I'd love to see some pics of how the 12 speed chain looks on the 11 rings teeth and how much space there is compared to the 11 speed chain. Historically we've always been able to use chainrings that are one size different for example i used 10 speed rings with 11 speed. As tolerances get less it gets tighter but I'm sure it will work well just not perfectly. It's whether you can tell there's a difference in function i would suspect not.

LionelB

by LionelB

If it is wireless I am the first order in :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

LionelB wrote:If it is wireless I am the first order in :)
Great, so you can tell me where it is availableImageImageImage