Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have found on my new Campy 12 SR 29-11 cassette that when shifting from small cogs in the middle of the block to larger cogs its not very smooth as though the teeth are somewhat misaligned from one cog to the next. I have this same condition on my 11sp SR cassette as well which isnt a big deal but it does make for some rough shifting when you have some good torgue on a uphill.
Last edited by bikeboy1tr on Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Campagnolo makes a 12-29 12 speed cassette? Do tell.

With your edit, People will be wondering. I was hoping there was something good coming out of Campagnolo. Under my rock I go.
Last edited by Butcher on Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:48 am
I have found on my new Campy 12 SR 29-11 cassette that when shifting from small cogs in the middle of the block to larger cogs its not very smooth as though the teeth are somewhat misaligned from one cog to the next. I have this same condition on my 11sp SR cassette as well which isnt a big deal but it does make for some rough shifting when you have some good torgue on a uphill.
I would make sure that your rear derailleur hanger is straight. That would be my guess here.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

wilwil

by wilwil

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Shifting up the block to the the third largest cog has never been that smooth for me either. That's on 11-29 SR and Chorus cassettes

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

rollinslow wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:01 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:
I would make sure that your rear derailleur hanger is straight. That would be my guess here.
[/quote

This is on a new frame with new components shifts fine and nothing bent. Does the same on my other frame with straight hangers and new RD. None of my other shimano cassettes do this. But no big deal.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:20 pm
rollinslow wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:01 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:
[/quote

This is on a new frame with new components shifts fine and nothing bent. Does the same on my other frame with straight hangers and new RD. None of my other shimano cassettes do this. But no big deal.
Had the same issues with Chorus 12 12-29, spent f. ages adjusting the death out of it to make shifting and noise acceptable. Then took bike (just built by me, new frame, new hanger, new RD) to a very diligent bike shop and turned out RD hanger was a bit out. After it was straightened the shifting improved and noise was banished in all cogs.

I think the 12s Campy is very RD hanger alignment sensitive.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

AJS914

by AJS914

bikeboy1tr wrote:

I've dealt with this a few times over the years and always the culprit was internally routed bars and the necessary sharp bends.

I have 3T bars and the holes are horribly aligned for Campagnolo, and on top of it, it's just super hard to route the casing from one hole to the other. The first time I installed these bars, I had the exact above problem. It was so frustrating that eventually I re-did my cables, making sure to make every cut perfectly (Calnago style). I got acceptable shifting (97% but not 100% perfect). Last year I recabled the bike and bypassed the internal routing. I just taped the cables under the bars, old school style, and voila, perfect Campagnolo shifting.

My conclusion is that when you have spotty cog to cog shifting, the problem is cable drag of some sort. I suspect that this is why Campagnolo released the Maximum Smoothness cables - in order to combat all this internal routing.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

It does seem to shift acceptably well compared to other bikes I have and the groupset I purchased is from 19 I believe so I am not sure if the Campy cables are of the Maximum Smoothness variety but if not I will look into getting these cables for sure. When I ran the shifter cables I did run them old school at the 3T SuperErgo bars just to avoid any sharper bends then necessary but I did run the brake hoses through the bars after I opened the holes up with a pencil die grinder. The holes are very tight on the bars so I opened them enough to get the hoses through. The bars seem to be structurally sound so far as I have no creaking noises coming from that area or anywhere else for that matter.
When I built this frame the Campy group was just a right now willl have to do as I want Sram AXS ultimately but until product starts to come back to the market its going to have to wait for now. Guess I wont complain about having to settle for CR after I got such a great deal on it and I just love their Bora One and Bora Ultimate wheelsets with no regrets on purchasing those beauty tub wheels.

christiancarr

by christiancarr

SR 12s mechanical vs Dura Ace 9100 mechanical

Which groupset would you get?

I´ve heard about some play-issues with Campy wavy washer BBs, also the FD shifting should be better with DA9100.
Is it true?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

christiancarr wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:44 pm

I´ve heard about some play-issues with Campy wavy washer BBs, also the FD shifting should be better with DA9100.
Is it true?
I would go for the SR. More interesting shifting action and sexyer looking. DA is understated looks wise.

FD may be better on Shimano, lighter action I think, but I think assume you would not be using mechanical for racing, so really does not matter that much.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Play with wavy washer BB? Fake news.

Lina

by Lina

christiancarr wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Is it true?
Stop watching Hamboni.

SR is an obvious choice there. I'd take mechanical Chorus over mechanical DA.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Have to say SR is a very nice thing, it looks and feels special, especially the drilled brake levers. DA is plain in comparison.

christiancarr

by christiancarr

Butcher wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:22 pm
Play with wavy washer BB? Fake news.
Pedalling stiffness is the same with SR 12s and DA 11s, no matter the wavy washers and hirth joints?

Yes, I must admit I watched Hambini vids, before that I was almost decided to go for Campy :)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I've been on Campagnolo since the mid 70's so I can't say anything about Shimano but it would not take long to search wave washer and come up with a lot of different opinions if it's good or not. My only experience is if you do not have the wave washer installed, the crank moves so much it effects the front shifting. Some people should put down the beer when they are building a bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com