Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shmitt

by Shmitt

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:26 pm
Between the two, the standard mount SR are much prettier, and a bit lighter. I have both. The DM are porkers but spolid braking (at 95Kg I can still lift the rear wheel with good alloy wheels) but I doubt I could tell them apart from the standard if blindfolded. I guess you can save a few grams and improve the looks by using black Ti bolts for mounting. When I checked for the best quality it amounted to about 50euro, a bit painful...
We are talking of course about the latest versions. My motivation for the fact that direct mount on a steel frame is rare.Only or benefits, and more maintenance, adjustment and further use is worth the extra 100 euros.
Supposedly, Campagnolo brakes have quite problematic mounting of brake pads in the brakes. I don't worry too much about the size of the brakes, the use is more important to me. to be relatively or really hassle-free.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shmitt

by Shmitt

Kjetil wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:13 pm
Mine's standard mount. Never ridden Campag direct mount. I'd go with your frame maker's recommendation.
The best thing about building the frame is that you can choose a lot of things that you care about.

DHG01

by DHG01

Shmitt wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:14 pm
Alexandrumarian wrote:
Between the two, the standard mount SR are much prettier, and a bit lighter. I have both. The DM are porkers but spolid braking (at 95Kg I can still lift the rear wheel with good alloy wheels) but I doubt I could tell them apart from the standard if blindfolded. I guess you can save a few grams and improve the looks by using black Ti bolts for mounting. When I checked for the best quality it amounted to about 50euro, a bit painful...
We are talking of course about the latest versions. My motivation for the fact that direct mount on a steel frame is rare.Only or benefits, and more maintenance, adjustment and further use is worth the extra 100 euros.
Supposedly, Campagnolo brakes have quite problematic mounting of brake pads in the brakes. I don't worry too much about the size of the brakes, the use is more important to me. to be relatively or really hassle-free.

If you were to build a steel frame with direct mount brakes - have you managed to find an aftermarket fork?

DHG01

by DHG01

I ve gone about 10 pages back; trying to make my mind between R and SR for rim brakes. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, any particular shops recommended for Campy groups? I might need rear DM brake and standard front; I think Starbike is one of the few that allow to swap specific components?

Shmitt

by Shmitt

DHG01 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:17 am
Shmitt wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:14 pm
Alexandrumarian wrote:

If you were to build a steel frame with direct mount brakes - have you managed to find an aftermarket fork?
No problem, because the fork will also be steel.

DHG01

by DHG01

Shmitt wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:30 am

No problem, because the fork will also be steel.
Aha! Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing that build.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

DHG01 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 am
I ve gone about 10 pages back; trying to make my mind between R and SR for rim brakes. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, any particular shops recommended for Campy groups? I might need rear DM brake and standard front; I think Starbike is one of the few that allow to swap specific components?
I made the final decision and decided to go to Record instead of Chorus .. it's just prettier. and if you don't know what to choose, choose the nicer one.

Shops: Bike24, starbike, Hibike, rose bikes, bikeinn, , etc

micky

by micky

Im setting up an EPS 12s with a Miche 11s chainring double set up; the shifting seems to be good but the last 2 cogs on the upper side makes the smaller chainring very noisy.
Cassette is a Chorus 12 and I could try another one but the noise come from chainring.
Anyone experienced this?

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

Hi guys,
I have SR EPS with 50-34 and 11-32 setup which works perfectly fine for me, as I ride mostly mountains . However I dont like one particular issue.

When I ride big gear in the front and start going uphill with gentle slope , lets say 3-5% , I am used to ride with big chainring with upper half of the rear gears. I have previously rode ultegra and up to the 2nd largest sprocket, drivetrain worked perfectly fine.

However with SR, when you get over initial small 1tooth jumps and get to "larger half" of the casette, the drivetrain starts to get pretty noisy. Initially i thought that FD is misaligned and there is chain rub, however that was not the case, there is great amount of clearance.

Dumping to small gear in the front and dropping 2 gears in the rear obviously resolves issue and drivetrain is perfectly silent, however I dont like that I have to shift to 34t chainring in order to ride quietly gentle slopes.

Is this issue of wearing in? (only cca 800kms on the clock of the chain/casette) or is this inherent issue of SR?

Many thanks

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

DHG01 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:20 am

I don't think anyone could tell the difference between the two. You'll just have decide if the weight difference and looks is worth the extra price. That said I have super record on three bikes.

I'd reach out to Nestor at nnk. I just got a 2nd hand group from him recently at a great price. He has lots of stock now. Both new and used 11s and 12s. EU based tho.

usr

by usr

usr wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:00 pm
Looks kind of gappy, with that almost unobstructed sight line to the seven o'clock segment of the chain. I might be cured - or not cured at all.
Guess how that one worked out, of course I got the Sigeyi :noidea:

Still torn about the looks: the regular hanger+adapter creates the visual impression of a single, knotty, fist-like mechanical complex all the way from the QR nut to the upper jockey, but with the Sigeyi the eye sees two parts, separated by an unexpected void: "why can't this be closer to that?"

Still keeping of course, because it would be dishonest to pretend that it wasn't all about the bling and the the DM mod is clearly looking more expensive (to all the ~3 people in the world who would recognize).

DHG01

by DHG01

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:11 pm

I don't think anyone could tell the difference between the two. You'll just have decide if the weight difference and looks is worth the extra price. That said I have super record on three bikes.

I'd reach out to Nestor at nnk. I just got a 2nd hand group from him recently at a great price. He has lots of stock now. Both new and used 11s and 12s. EU based tho.
Thanks Bobby; will reach out to NNK.

I can't really distinguish between 11s Record and SR. Weight is somewhat important; the frame is going to be steel with a custom steel stem. A few other restrictions, so even with tubulars and rim brakes, I am going to struggle to get to 7.5 kg.

Do you know how non Campy cranks ride with 12S groupset?

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

I believe the difference is a titanium vs steel spindle. So it's not a huge amount of weight between those.

tomato

by tomato

TheBeautifulOne wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:43 pm
I have SR EPS with 50-34 and 11-32 setup which works perfectly fine for me, as I ride mostly mountains . However I dont like one particular issue.

When I ride big gear in the front and start going uphill with gentle slope , lets say 3-5% , I am used to ride with big chainring with upper half of the rear gears. I have previously rode ultegra and up to the 2nd largest sprocket, drivetrain worked perfectly fine.

However with SR, when you get over initial small 1tooth jumps and get to "larger half" of the casette, the drivetrain starts to get pretty noisy. Initially i thought that FD is misaligned and there is chain rub, however that was not the case, there is great amount of clearance.

Dumping to small gear in the front and dropping 2 gears in the rear obviously resolves issue and drivetrain is perfectly silent, however I dont like that I have to shift to 34t chainring in order to ride quietly gentle slopes.

Is this issue of wearing in? (only cca 800kms on the clock of the chain/casette) or is this inherent issue of SR?
I haven't noticed excessive chain noise, but the 11-32 and 11-34 cassettes certainly favor dropping to the small chain ring early, just to avoid the rather large gaps in the 19-22-25 region.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shmitt

by Shmitt

I have a question about the brake cables. I want to do the routing of the rear brake cable in the top tube of the bicycle frame in casing. How long is the casing of the rear brake, is there enough from the lever handle to the rear brake caliper?