Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dalord774

by dalord774

But I haven't found them individually yet): always only with bearings and I already have them...
Look 695 / 6,5 Kg
Colnago Master / 8,7 kg
Baum Ristretto / 7,6 Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:33 pm
This was imo the best looking era. Personally I'd love it if the companies started to make the packaging into something interesting like fold out artwork.
Owning that level of groupset should be something very special and customers should be made to feel that way.Image
The polished/weave mix was certainly the high point and I'd risk getting banned for swearing if it came to a shouting match. I actually prefer the Chorus variation where the cage is also aluminum, but it's certainly close. For larger structures the weave is simply too much, like a bathroom where every metal surface is covered in gold: looks expensive, but taste-deficient.

But 12s derailleur aesthetics are another issue entirely, the main problem imho is that huge outboard spring cylinder at the upper knuckle (I'm talking mechanical, with the direct mount/adapter pivot position) and no amount of surface finish selection could change that: the Shimano approach of making the upper pivot tiny and doing all spring stuff on the lower one just appears so much more elegant with today's derailleur dimensions. Even the AXS battery pack doesn't seem quite so bulky next to that super deep 12s mechanical top pivot spring cylinder...

morrisond

by morrisond

usr wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:00 pm
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:33 pm
This was imo the best looking era. Personally I'd love it if the companies started to make the packaging into something interesting like fold out artwork.
Owning that level of groupset should be something very special and customers should be made to feel that way.Image
The polished/weave mix was certainly the high point and I'd risk getting banned for swearing if it came to a shouting match. I actually prefer the Chorus variation where the cage is also aluminum, but it's certainly close. For larger structures the weave is simply too much, like a bathroom where every metal surface is covered in gold: looks expensive, but taste-deficient.

But 12s derailleur aesthetics are another issue entirely, the main problem imho is that huge outboard spring cylinder at the upper knuckle (I'm talking mechanical, with the direct mount/adapter pivot position) and no amount of surface finish selection could change that: the Shimano approach of making the upper pivot tiny and doing all spring stuff on the lower one just appears so much more elegant with today's derailleur dimensions. Even the AXS battery pack doesn't seem quite so bulky next to that super deep 12s mechanical top pivot spring cylinder...
I have a brand new one of these sitting in a box if anyone is interested. I bought it for a Rando project that evolved into something else.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

usr wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:00 pm
[For larger structures the weave is simply too much, like a bathroom where every metal surface is covered in gold: looks expensive, but taste-deficient.
Trumper Record living room
No gaudy broad weave anywhere to be seen.

dalord774

by dalord774

Today a little polished let's see how long it looks good :)
Attachments
27015E1C-92DE-4F0E-B67B-7F7397220378.jpeg
Look 695 / 6,5 Kg
Colnago Master / 8,7 kg
Baum Ristretto / 7,6 Kg

Campyforever

by Campyforever

REgarding a Campy 12 MECH: Campy said to use 110 links for my Ext C whose chainstays measure 409mm.
However, that allowed the chain to rub on the little hook that keeps the chain wrapped around the pully.
Thus I used 108 links. But I notice a slightly "gritty" feeling when in the large chainring and the three largest cogs.
Full inspection does not reveal any misalignment of the front nor rear deraillerus. The system is silky up and down
when in the small ring.
Can those two missing links be the culprit?

Attermann

by Attermann

aren't you supposed to take up the slack with the b screw if that happens?

Campyforever

by Campyforever

Can you explain....???

Attermann

by Attermann

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYfrsaZgiQ

The part where they adjust the b screw, wouldn't that cure the problem.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

If you have removed a couple links from the chain then you might want to adjust that b screw counterclockwise to allow the RD to give some slack to the tighter chain. You just want to make sure that the upper pulley isnt making contact with the larger cogs of your cassette or you will get some clicking noises as it shifts and as you pedal. This would be checked when in the big ring and third largest rear cog. Typically I try not to go beyond the third largest cog when on the big.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Campyforever wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:07 am
REgarding a Campy 12 MECH: Campy said to use 110 links for my Ext C whose chainstays measure 409mm.
However, that allowed the chain to rub on the little hook that keeps the chain wrapped around the pully.
Thus I used 108 links. But I notice a slightly "gritty" feeling when in the large chainring and the three largest cogs.
Full inspection does not reveal any misalignment of the front nor rear deraillerus. The system is silky up and down
when in the small ring.
Can those two missing links be the culprit?
The manual states that for combos of 48/32 and an 11/34 rear block to use the chainstay link guide.. otherwise any other combo for a 405-415mm stay, use 110 links.. 3.1

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... 21_ENG.pdf

Campyforever

by Campyforever

Is there an echo in here? !!! That is exactly what my quote says..

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Campyforever wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:42 pm
Is there an echo in here? !!! That is exactly what my quote says..
Really... I dont see any quotes you made.. you made a posting that said you basically went against the manual by 2 links due to rubbing.. unless my browser is not displaying, you didnt say what gear combo you have on there either... if its there, then sorry for my engaging my digital delay guitar effect :roll:

BTW I know you are on mech 12, but Campagnolo 11s mech and any EPS always try to size the chain as long as possible (thus probably their link count).. ideally you probably shouldnt be riding in the small/small combo anyways... on all my Tarmacs and my Venge when I sized them, I had the chain rubbing on the RD as well, so shortened it off by 2 links... that put me right on the edge of what the max distance tolerance is on 11/12 EPS systems..

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I like to run my chains long as poss too and two links can make a big difference but the other built in default feature of electronic shifting will not allow you to go into the small small combo which will keep you from crosschain. Not sure if EPS has this feature but I know AXS and Shimano do. At first I thought it sucked but then I thought it was good because you should never be in that combo.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Campyforever

by Campyforever

My first line said 110 links for a 409mm chainstay...

But my concern here is not 108 vs 110... but rather the slightly less smooth feeling when running the 23,26 and 29 with the 53t chainring...
Anyone else feel that?