Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

With my EPS11, the Edco shifts ok and lasted a season in the mountains. An official Campgnolo cassette shifts better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

usr wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 am
rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:29 am
How is the shifting?
Slower.
Agree and I'm a EPS user, so it seems that electronic and mechanic go side by side.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

micky wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:54 am
Of course, but those lazy bastards don't work on a Sunday morning when I posted the question so I'd though I'd ask here as it's a forum for exchanging experiences.
Thanks for your help.
Can i ask if you use the magnet strap regularly?
I found if i didn't use it after some time, my FD would lose it's settings so perhaps it's something similar?

Miller

by Miller

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:19 pm
I found if i didn't use it after some time, my FD would lose it's settings so perhaps it's something similar?
I think it's worth using the strap from time to time. As the IT Crowd puts it, "have you tried turning it off and on again?".

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I got my cassette today. Here are the results. Yes, my scale is still dirty as well as my fingers. Someone has got to pay for all my toys.

I do not know what to say about this stuff. That was inside the box. I will let the packaging inform you.

Can't say that it works good or bad. I'll find out when I build the bike.

micky

by micky

Will you use the cassette on a Campagnolo wheelset or any other brand?

micky

by micky

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:19 pm
Can i ask if you use the magnet strap regularly?
Miller wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:51 pm
I think it's worth using the strap from time to time. As the IT Crowd puts it, "have you tried turning it off and on again?".

I never used the strap because I genuinely never got any.
I've got the EPS groupset second hand at a bargain but there wasn't the strap included.
It might as well do the trick. Cheers!

Miller

by Miller

micky wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 am
I never used the strap because I genuinely never got any.
I've got the EPS groupset second hand at a bargain but there wasn't the strap included.
It might as well do the trick. Cheers!
The strap is a very simple thing, you should be able to get it cheaply. Worth noting that it's very finicky about position, this needs to be exactly right. If the derailleurs aren't working, it's correctly positioned.

usr

by usr

Butcher wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:27 pm
I got my cassette today. Here are the results. Yes, my scale is still dirty as well as my fingers. Someone has got to pay for all my toys.
Just in case that you are still in the photography phase with the new toys: could you take a look at the ramp machining in the ramp sector region? Inside and outside of the "tube" part between the 11t and the 12t, that's where mine were/are weakened by the tool carving into the "tube". Not deep enough to make a hole to the inside, but deep enough that the remaining material bulges out a little on the inside, surely from yielding to the tool while hot from the abrasion.
sketch-1642167774910.jpg

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

All my wheelsets are Easton.

I hope this is what you are looking for. I'll be out for the weekend.

usr

by usr

Looks like yours is fine! The material the 11t teeth are "standing" on is quite thin (inner radius is defined by the freehub splines, outer radius by chain and teeth count) and that's the part that is weakened on mine. The Campag 11t strengthens that area by having a tiny wall that extends "down", obstructing view on top of the freehub splines, but with the monoblock you can see the entire outside of the splines before the lock ring is put on. This little wall metal wall is slightly outboard from the teeth, but still strengthens their foundation and the connection between teeth. I imagine that creating that wall by monoblock machining would require very elaborate tooling (whereas it's not much of a challenge on a separate cog)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I hope it is. The main reason for not going to EPS12 was the cassette choices. I normally ride a 12/25 11s and I would be happy if they had a 12/27 or a 11/25 in a 12 speed. Sad they have not offered this. I get that most people see no purpose for such a ratio, but I'm not most people. Right now, I have lots of choices when I do get this bike up and running. I have a crank at 53/42 and can run a stock 11/29. I also have a Miche 14/29 and a 16/29 as well as some cheap chinese 11/28 [for my Shimano freehub trainer]. I also have a semi-compact that I can throw into the mix. I should find something with all those choices.

Sin2000

by Sin2000

Really interested to hear how you get on Butcher. The suggestion we've been given is that cassettes with a largest sprocket smaller than 29 wouldn't work. If that's not true it opens up lots of possibilities and might yet persuade me to upgrade from 11 speed.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Butcher wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:00 am
I hope it is. The main reason for not going to EPS12 was the cassette choices. I normally ride a 12/25 11s and I would be happy if they had a 12/27 or a 11/25 in a 12 speed. Sad they have not offered this. I get that most people see no purpose for such a ratio, but I'm not most people. Right now, I have lots of choices when I do get this bike up and running. I have a crank at 53/42 and can run a stock 11/29. I also have a Miche 14/29 and a 16/29 as well as some cheap chinese 11/28 [for my Shimano freehub trainer]. I also have a semi-compact that I can throw into the mix. I should find something with all those choices.
I can see why I peaked your interest when I mistakenly mentioned a 12/29, 12 sp Campy cassette when it was actually a 11sp but I do wish that they made the 12sp version.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

Recon (and perhaps Edco) has a 12-29 in 12 speed