Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fogman wrote:Will my current Campagnolo 11 speed chain tool be compatible with a 12 speed chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

https://www.facebook.com/CampagnoloOffi ... =3&theater

12 spd setup with a P2Max... cant tell if they are 11 or 12s rings though on the Basso

If the link doesnt work, if you have facebook just search for Campagnolo SRL

Gelly

by Gelly

11 speed chain tool works fine too.

Can’t see the benefit of using a twelve speed chain on 11 speed setup? Especially as they cost more...I was just saying that with regards to chainrings there is no difference at all during operation.

avispa

by avispa

Gelly wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Can’t see the benefit of using a twelve speed chain on 11 speed setup? Especially as they cost more...I was just saying that with regards to chainrings there is no difference at all during operation.
Well, if the 12 speed chain is quieter and more dureable as it has been stated, that alone would be a reason. I really have to wonder if anyone that buys Campagnolo SR or Record is really concerned about the cost of some of these items!!! Especially a chain!

c60rider

by c60rider

fogman wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:31 pm
Will my current Campagnolo 11 speed chain tool be compatible with a 12 speed chain?

Yes this is something I confirmed with Graeme a few months ago when 12 speed was first announced

dgasmd

by dgasmd

avispa wrote:I really have to wonder if anyone that buys Campagnolo SR or Record is really concerned about the cost of some of these items!!! Especially a chain!
I am! Not so much the chain cost, but the cassettes definitely. I always buy a SR cassette with climbing gears and the ones I normally use the most in flat land where I live are chorus or even centaur. Whichever I find the cheapest. Weight is the only difference I’ve personally seen if kept clean and well lubed!! Even the chains in 11sp I buy chorus as well.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

avispa wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 pm
I really have to wonder if anyone that buys Campagnolo SR or Record is really concerned about the cost of some of these items!!! Especially a chain!
Money is grown on the tree out back, next to the goose that lays golden eggs.

If my wife knew how much money I had in bikes, I would be divorced.

c60rider

by c60rider

Butcher wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:51 pm
avispa wrote:
I really have to wonder if anyone that buys Campagnolo SR or Record is really concerned about the cost of some of these items!!! Especially a chain!
Money is grown on the tree out back, next to the goose that lays golden eggs.

If my wife knew how much money I had in bikes, I would be divorced.
You buy according to your budget. If SR or R is too much for you then there's chorus, potenza etc. When i was younger i could only afford the cheaper ranges of Campagnolo like the old victory group I had on my first proper race bike. I don't need to spend as much as i do on bikes but my budget means i can buy what i want these days so SR it is. My mate who has 3 young kids makes do with a complete bike from Ribble with 105 or maybe ultegra and even then has to lie to his wife how much it was!

AJS914

by AJS914

I had top of the line Record 10 speed and can afford to buy whatever group I want but the last time around I just decided that Record/SR just wasn't worth the money compared to Chorus. It's about a 200 gram difference and I could save those 200 grams elsewhere with the substantial amount of money saved. It's also pretty easy to install ceramic bearings on an ultra torque crankset (if you believe that .1 watt will help you).

It just makes me sad that 12 speed seems to have gone upscale in pricing. Maybe in a year or two, Campagnolo will come out with a Chorus priced 12 speed group?

mag

by mag

Thanks Gelly for confirming the 11s crankset works fine with the 12s groupset, even with the 11s chainrings and your shortish chainstays. Thus the current 11s based P2M especially with the 12s chairings should work only better.

And yes, according to the docs the 12s chainring spacing (centre-centre) is really bigger than with the 11s (8.0 vs 7.6 mm). This confused me a little as well as I was expecting the gap to be smaller too. But it's what it is and it actually seems to be pretty much the same as with the last years 11s HO cranksets. This was giving me some hopes that there shouldn't be any serious issues between all these cranksets, perhaps only chainrings might perhaps need to be replaced (but even this doesn't seem to be necessary).

Still, the supportability issue persists, but whoever goes this way knows the risks anyway.

Still considering purchasing the P2M power meter as it's still on sale. Purchase the 11s (graphic) design now or wait for the 12s redesign which should come early next year? The sale might be over by then. :noidea:

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Regarding the new graphic last time I spoke with P2Max, they had no idea when the new graphic would be out... If I was Campagnolo though Id just make a generic graphic without an 11 or 12 on it.. that way anyone running 11s isn't gonna feel the Ive got a 12s graphic and only have 11s and vice versa...

bruno2000

by bruno2000

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm
I had top of the line Record 10 speed and can afford to buy whatever group I want but the last time around I just decided that Record/SR just wasn't worth the money compared to Chorus. It's about a 200 gram difference and I could save those 200 grams elsewhere with the substantial amount of money saved. It's also pretty easy to install ceramic bearings on an ultra torque crankset (if you believe that .1 watt will help you).

It just makes me sad that 12 speed seems to have gone upscale in pricing. Maybe in a year or two, Campagnolo will come out with a Chorus priced 12 speed group?
If I'm correct the 12speed Record group is cheaper then the 11speed Record group an dyou get a so-called Super record chain and cassete with the 12speed. With 11speed Record you 'only' had a Record chain and cassette.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

avispa wrote:
Gelly wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Well, if the 12 speed chain is quieter and more dureable as it has been stated, that alone would be a reason. I really have to wonder if anyone that buys Campagnolo SR or Record is really concerned about the cost of some of these items!!! Especially a chain!
12 speed chain more durable?
That can't be correct, the chain should be thinner and less durable
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mortirolo

by mortirolo

Gelly wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:42 am
12 speed record ergo, cassette 11-32, chain, front and rear derailleur. 11 speed over torque crankset 50-34. On a look 595 ultra medium with 405mm chainstays
I use "11 speed over torque crankset 50-34" too, but with SR11.
Can I use 12 speed chain on it?
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mag

by mag

@ParisCarbon
Well I just asked them about this graphics redesign again and was told they don't plan it at all (at the moment). Confused. :-D

@wheelsONfire
I didn't precisely measure 11s and 12s chains myself, but when Campagnolo released the 12-speed they claimed they didn't have to make the chain plates any thinner, only the pins are slightly narrower (by about 10%). And that such change should make the chain a little stronger and that the chain offers at least the same durability... Something like that.