Campagnolo 12-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RussellS

by RussellS

In the middle of midwest USA, its about 95% Shimano mechanical, and 4.99999999999999% SRAM mechanical, and the rest Campagnolo mechanical. I'm the only person with Di2. I did see a guy riding Etap a few weeks ago. But its Shimano and mechanical for almost everything. I am the only person with Campagnolo, 9-10 mechanical so I guess it really doesn't count on this forum. And Shimano too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mag

by mag

Re the P2M powermeter: If Campagnolo greenlighted the current 11s P2Ms for the 12s groupsets (and it seems they did), this gives some hope to those who would like to use the 11s crankset with the 12s groupset. In this case replacing chainrings with the 12s ones could be enough.
Last edited by mag on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertbb

by robertbb

Which chainrings would one use?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

robertbb wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:23 am
Which chainrings would one use?
Campy 12s rings Id assume... remember this 12s is all new, and parts are still trickling out...Id guess once there is full bore EPS we'll see parts starting to come out more.. I just hope P2Max is supplied with ample 12s rings... Ive got a Tarmac and a Venge that are waiting..

robertbb

by robertbb

I misread - I thought you were implying that there would be 12s compatible rings available for the 11s UT cranks

c60rider

by c60rider

I'm pretty sure I noted on the P2M site with all the current sale prices they've got going on the option to buy chain rings as part of the package has disappeared :noidea:

mag

by mag

P2M still offers 11s chainrings, but they split the purchasing process into more steps and those chainrings become available once you add the PM to cart.
They don't offer 12s chainrings at the moment though.

12s chainrings can be already bought as spares, but there's one potential caveat: there are now different big rings for Record and Super Record cranksets (small rings are the same for both). I don't know what is the actual difference between those, but it may be possible that only Record rings are suitable here. There are some differences between the Campy's SR and Record cranksets - the SR one has some additional reinforcements around the big ring so those SR-specific rings may take this into account somehow and thus work suboptimally with cranksets which lack this feature. Or perhaps they won't fit at all? Hopefully someone will be able to clarify this.

EDIT: I asked P2M about this, but they aren't really sure either and forwarded the question to Campagnolo. If I get an answer I'll add it here.

c60rider

by c60rider

There's the cycle show next week here in the uk that I'm going to and normally Graeme is there. I'll ask when i go as originally 11 speed wasn't compatible and it needed a redesign so all a bit confusing how it suddenly is :noidea:

mag

by mag

Great. Don't forget to ask him about the differences between those Record and SR chainrings.

EDIT: Found this post from Graeme: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0#p1415995
graeme_f_k wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:40 am
SR rings and RE outer rings are different and not interchangeable in 12s.
Inner rings are interchangeable between RE and SR 12s and are a different part to their 11s equivalents.

Chainring spacing is changed in 12s from 11s / 11s HO (hence the H11 descriptor on the high end groups last year, before 12s was announced) and since Campagnolo have historically managed part of the chainring spacing difference required by different iterations of the cranksets both on the crankset and on the ring, the 12s rings for full, correct and predictable function are not recommended as interchangeable with 11s or 11HO.

Please remember that just because the pro teams are doing something, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's OK, in the context of warranty and so on, for others to do it. Pro teams are test beds as well as marketing and what they appear to be doing is also, sometimes, not what they are *actually* doing ...
But it doesn't go into much detail regarding those chainring differences and the interchangeability possibilities. But it seems it's likely that one would have to use Record 12s (big) chainrings with the P2M (or basically 11s) cranksets as the SR ones might not fit at all. Still, some confirmation would be appreciated.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

super record disc brake kit is starting to appear now.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

From P2Max:
They were not sure of the rebadging of the crank with reference to 12, just told that the 12s rings work
They were also uncertain of time delivery of 12s rings

wilwil

by wilwil

Theres a significant difference between the Record and SR cranks in looks and in price. On the SR the carbon comes right up to the base of the chain ring teeth. What is the purpose of this? On previous recent generations the difference between Record and SR cranks has just been the bearings and the ti spindle.

c60rider

by c60rider

wilwil wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:48 pm
Theres a significant difference between the Record and SR cranks in looks and in price. On the SR the carbon comes right up to the base of the chain ring teeth. What is the purpose of this? On previous recent generations the difference between Record and SR cranks has just been the bearings and the ti spindle.
Hollow cranks on SR so I guess they need this extra carbon to increase rigidity somewhere/how.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

It just a support to increase the lateral stiffness of the big chainring when shifting. It is located in the places where the chain pushes the chainring the most under shifting

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

avispa wrote:
dgasmd wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:30 pm
I live in FL. Locally, everybody rides what the local store tells them is the current greatest, which translates to whatever they are making the most money selling. They used to push Litespeed, so everyone was riding one. Then, it was Pinnarello, and now Specialized and Trek with another Pinnarello resurgence. There is a Cannondale dealer in another shop locally, and there is one single guy riding one that is about 10 years old. They don’t push as hard and sell you for the sake of selling. They used to push Chitmano, so everyone was on it. Now they push SRAM, and so guess what everyone has? Nobody can change a tube either, so when gears need adjusting or they simply need a new chain or cassette they go to the shop and come out with new cables, chains, cassettes, adjustments, blah blah if not an entirely new bikes. No exaggeration!!

I’m the only guy I’ve seen using Campagnolo locally. In the last 12 years here, I’ve only seen 2 others. I’m also only one of 2 that I know that does anything himself to his bikes or even have tools at home. I buy everything online as I can’t stand the shop’s mentality or staff.
Hahahaha! I must be one of the 2 other guys you are referring to.... :D Your description is so on point and true... Just wait till disc brakes are the norm. They are gonna come out of those shops with way more stuff than "new cables, chains, cassettes, adjustments..."
Ive only seen 2 guys on discs locally. I am almost certain there isn’t more because the 2 shops (mostly the one really) have not learnt how to work on them yet, so they are not pushing them yet. They are older guys too, so I suspect they’ll hold out longer as well!!