Which SRAM Red cranks for bb386evo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

savechief

by savechief

Honestly, I get a little bit confused as to which SRAM cranks work with what. I'm looking for the lightest cranks I can find, so I'm assuming I want to get the Exogram arms. From what I understand, none of the cranks with the integrated spider will work because the spindle is too short for bb386evo. Is that correct? Will what I'm looking for have the 3-bolt interface or the 8-bolt interface? Or possibly either, depending on which year I find?

If it helps, these would end up going on a Felt F3x cyclocross bike with a single narrow wide chainring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

If you absolutely want the integrated spider, the Red GXP crank has a long enough axle but will obviously require an adapter or 24/22 mm bottom bracket.

If you decide to go for a Sram BB386 crank, the Red should have the new 8-bolt interface. They are only available in the very latest version with eTap graphics and should all be the same.

If you find a Quarq Prime crankset they should obviously all have the 8-bolt interface as well. From what I understand they are identical to Red power meter cranks in everything but graphics.

Whether Force for BB386 also has the 8-bolt interface I am not sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

savechief

by savechief

Thanks, very helpful. Which cranks should I absolutely avoid buying (i.e. it's a dedicated BB30/PF30 crankset and the spindle will be too short)?
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I saw somewhere that sram red exogram is 350-360gr in bb30 and 370-380gr in gxp. (Assuming you get the older exograms, newer are heavier - beefed up)

If you have a bb86 prssfit frame then just get a light gxp bottom bracket. They come as low as 50-60gr.

For bb386 your lightest option might be fsa sl-k or k-force.

The sram 386 cranks with removable spider are quite heavy relatively speaking.

/a

glepore

by glepore

Not veer off topic, but god I hate this stuff. WAY too much diversity/complication out there.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jbattermann

by jbattermann

savechief wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:27 pm
Honestly, I get a little bit confused as to which SRAM cranks work with what. I'm looking for the lightest cranks I can find, so I'm assuming I want to get the Exogram arms. From what I understand, none of the cranks with the integrated spider will work because the spindle is too short for bb386evo. Is that correct? Will what I'm looking for have the 3-bolt interface or the 8-bolt interface? Or possibly either, depending on which year I find?

If it helps, these would end up going on a Felt F3x cyclocross bike with a single narrow wide chainring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you still need one, I got a barely used (<= 2 months) BB386 Sram Red eTap Crankset (52/36 & 172.5mm) lying around here. Used it in my BB386 frame which I sold again for various reasons.. so yeah. It's the native BB386 ("BB30 Wide") 00.6118.446.002 2017 model, bought on July 18th 2017 and only used for a dozen or two rides in August & September 2017.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com