Focus Cayo Evo versus Orbea Opal frame for bike build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JerryLook

by JerryLook

Hi
I am currently looking at these two used framesets.

One is an 2010 Orbea Opal frameset. The weight of the fork and frame is 1422 grams.

The other frameset is around a 2013 Focus Cayo Evo. I think it is the second gen of the Focus Cayo. The seller doesn’t list a weight for the frame, but I have read online that they are not as light as advertised (something around 850 grams for the frame and 350 grams for the fork advertised).

Both frames are around a size 56cm, so obviously not as light as their smaller sized siblings.

This bike would be built up with Ultegra 6800 and some other lighter, but not super light parts. I’d like to be around 16 lbs or so.

Anyone have experience with one or both of these frames? Seems there is more info on the Orbea out there. I want something that is pretty stiff, with more of a race geometry instead of comfort.

Thanks!
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I have read a bunch about how each bike rides. Seems like the Opal would be the quicker handling of the two. Some people even say its twitchy. I guess my point of this thread is which one would be the lighter build. If the Orbea is 1422 grams for the 57cm frame, how much does the Focus frameset weigh? Anyone have the weight of a large Focus Cayo Evo (I think its a 2.0).
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I have a M size 2014 Cayo Evo that weighted in at 1310 g (fork+frame).

It’s a good frame to have a reasonable priced all rounder. Mine is a 7,340 with 2014 Chorus and Shamals.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

JerryLook

by JerryLook

XCProMD wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:44 am
I have a M size 2014 Cayo Evo that weighted in at 1310 g (fork+frame).

It’s a good frame to have a reasonable priced all rounder. Mine is a 7,340 with 2014 Chorus and Shamals.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Hey thanks for the info. So the large I am looking at should only weigh a little more. Its pretty close to the Orbea weight. Just slightly less.

I have been doing some research on the frame I am looking at, and I’m pretty sure its a Cayo Evo 3.0. It has the same paint scheme as the Evo 2.0, but I’m pretty sure that frame is Di2 only, and the one I am looking at is definitely mech shift.

I’m really leaning towards the Focus.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

The one issue I can think of with the Focus, is it has a PF30 BB. I use a Ultegra 6800 crankset and would need to get an adaptor to make the 30 to 24mm conversion. Maybe the extra weight of that would make the bikes about equal in weight.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

ultrastapler

by ultrastapler

As I have a 2013 focus cayo evo upgraded with shimano 6800 BB crankset I can give you the weights

Cayo evo medium frame inc headset 1050g
Focus Cayo skinny fork (there are 2 types, skinny and fat as lesser Evos came with the heavier one) 320g
Shimano 6800 BB and praxis works PF to BB adaptor 138g

HTH

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JerryLook

by JerryLook

Thanks for the info about the Focus. Especially that there are two different forks. If I do ever pick one up, I’ll make sure it has a skinny fork.

I ended up buying the Orbea Opal. Frame is a 57cm. The frame (with no hardware installed other than the RD hangar) is 1040 grams. Fork is 350 grams.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg