Rattling from DT Swiss 240 rear hub??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xcnick

by xcnick

I’ve only done a handful of rides on my DT Swiss PR1400 wheels with 240 hubs, but today a light metallic rattling, or ‘jingling’ started on my bike. I stopped and spun the rear wheel and it was coming from the hub-made no difference whether it was freewheeling or pedalling. It then stopped and started intermittently for the rest of my ride.

Now home I stripped it all down which takes seconds, to find nothing! No borken spring, nothing!

Anybody come across this??

kode54

by kode54

could be valve stem rattling within rim valve hole? carbon tends to reverberate throughout, so difficult to track down noise.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcnick

by xcnick

Definitely not the valve noise. The rim is alloy not carbon too.

It was coming from the hub, imagine a little bit of metal jingling around in the hub body. I was expecting to find a broken spring or something. It wasn’t related to speed or whether I was pedalling or not. Cassette was tight too...

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

It's probably the non drive side end cap. I find that with any sort of moisture on the wheel (i.e. roads have been wet) it spins around the axle making contact with the hub shell, making a metallic jingling. It drove me crazy trying to figure it out, I thought the was a peice of metal loose in the rim. I just pack it full of grease and it quiets down.

xcnick

by xcnick

alexmcm09 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 pm
It's probably the non drive side end cap. I find that with any sort of moisture on the wheel (i.e. roads have been wet) it spins around the axle making contact with the hub shell, making a metallic jingling. It drove me crazy trying to figure it out, I thought the was a peice of metal loose in the rim. I just pack it full of grease and it quiets down.
I knew someone here would have the answer!! It was very wet today and started after about 7 miles. It’s the first time I’ve ridden them in the wet. I’ll grease it up and hopefully not hear it again. Thanks so much, I would have never found that!

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

xcnick wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:50 pm
alexmcm09 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 pm
I knew someone here would have the answer!! It was very wet today and started after about 7 miles. It’s the first time I’ve ridden them in the wet. I’ll grease it up and hopefully not hear it again. Thanks so much, I would have never found that!
Happy to help mate. Hope you're enjoying the wheels, I absolutely love them. Just make sure to keep your brake pads clean, as embedded debris can and WILL cut through the black ceramic coating. Despite the hardness of the ceramic coating they are definitely not designed for a rough UK winter.

xcnick

by xcnick

Yeah I am enjoying them. They’re not winter wheels or on a winter bike, I’m just sick of riding the proper winter bike and was dying to get out on something nicer and the weather was absolute crap this weekend!
I’ve always used the blue swissstop pads anyway and do try to keep them clean, but thanks for the heads up.

The actual rim itself (not the brake track) is pretty fragile-the rubber coated wheel hooks that I hang my bikes on has started to wear the black off! That’s the only negative so far

KH79

by KH79

It does it on the front as well when it gets wet. A sort of jangle / tinkle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com