YBN S2 11sp Chain vs KMC X11SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

KCookie wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:PYC SP1101 Can be a bargain

NZ$ 34 from Merlin Cycles, I bought a few but have to fit one...
Yeah mine came from Merlin, AU$105 delivered for 3. Unfortunately now being stung with bloody GST.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sold out.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

I was lucky to get my three then.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I'm now also running PYC SP...01 on my 10sp bike. Lighter, and still no performance difference as far as I can tell to a KMC SL, which now seems kind of overpriced considering.

I see they now have black ones as well as the usual silver and gold (TiN) options for the None More Black bikes. Unsure if the coating adds much weight - I believe it add 5-10g to the extortionate KMC DLC chains.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Still available on ebay.
Speedplay is the devil!

1415chris

by 1415chris

Ok, will post here.

Having a good experience with PYC 11s silver version chains I went for another PYC 11s but this time dlc black version. Yes, it is still noticeably cheaper than KMC counterparts. I have never had dlc chain before so I do not know much about the coating quality of these chains.
Picture below shows PYC dlc taken out of the packaging, speaking of which, unlike the silver versions (I buy from ebayer from Ireland) this black PYC did not come in original box. Unless original box is completely black without any descriptions whatsoever. Anyway, looking at the coating it does not look good, especially the edges of the plates and rollers. To me it looks like really poor quality.
How about your dlc chains, do they come with the blemishes as well or they are perfectly coated?

Just for the records, this chain did come from a different source than mentioned above Irish connection.

Darmen

by Darmen

1415chris wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am
Ok, will post here.

Having a good experience with PYC 11s silver version chains I went for another PYC 11s but this time dlc black version. Yes, it is still noticeably cheaper than KMC counterparts. I have never had dlc chain before so I do not know much about the coating quality of these chains.
Picture below shows PYC dlc taken out of the packaging, speaking of which, unlike the silver versions (I buy from ebayer from Ireland) this black PYC did not come in original box. Unless original box is completely black without any descriptions whatsoever. Anyway, looking at the coating it does not look good, especially the edges of the plates and rollers. To me it looks like really poor quality.
How about your dlc chains, do they come with the blemishes as well or they are perfectly coated?

Just for the records, this chain did come from a different source than mentioned above Irish connection.
is it heavier than silver version?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1415chris wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am

My YBN DLC chain looked perfect out of the package, but the coating rubbed off the rollers, inner plates and edges of the outer plates in just one ride. The KMC DLC coatings are superior to both YBN and PYC I guess.

My YBN chain also has sharper edges than any of my other chains, which is slightly annoying combined with waxing.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Well, I think I'll stick to the silver and Ti-gold chains, then. In all ferness I received full refund for this PYC dlc chain. Seller (Far East) probably cutting the losses did not bother to ask me to send it back, so will test it anyway.
Weight, I'd imagine it will be heavier compared to the silver version, I will post actual weight with pics later on.

Darmen

by Darmen

1415chris wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:04 pm
Well, I think I'll stick to the silver and Ti-gold chains, then. In all ferness I received full refund for this PYC dlc chain. Seller (Far East) probably cutting the losses did not bother to ask me to send it back, so will test it anyway.
Weight, I'd imagine it will be heavier compared to the silver version, I will post actual weight with pics later on.
how about the weight? is it really heavier?

1415chris

by 1415chris

PYC 107 + link, 117g, light lube Rock N Roll Gold,

"DLC" 107 + link 113g ???, I don't know how normal, legit dlc chain is coated, over here, it looks like the chain was coated after being assembled. There is exposed metal after shortening it.

Darmen

by Darmen

wow cool, it's lighter

have you use it frequently? does the coating easily come off?

my rotor uno chain scratch just only after few miles. they should not call it diamond like coating 😂
IMG_20200519_192249.jpg

jeho

by jeho

Hows the DLC 107 coming along? does the coating/color come off after rides?

1415chris

by 1415chris

The black one above was not coated properly in the first place (see couple of pictures above).
I haven't been using it yet, but do not expect the coating, whatever it is, to last long.

Visqu

by Visqu

I just tossed my YBN SLA11 Tic after 150km and 4 chainsucks. As Tobin said earlier, edges are sharper than anything else, the chamfers on the inside of the inner link plates are next to nonexistent when compared to any Shimano chain. Also, some of the chamfers on outer links are pretty poor too. Most probably contributes to the chain getting stuck on the big ring.

Problem is, I also changed cranks at the same time, so can't really claim that it is the chain. But I'm not a n00b when it comes to adjusting my drivetrains. Have also ran the same type of rings and crank on other bikes with zero issues.

Back to DA chains and maybe order some KMC Ti-N, good experiences of those on my other bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carhillclimb

by carhillclimb

Most of my issues with chain suck have been my non-standard chainring choices having the tooth alignment between chainrings being suboptimal or the tooth profile being suboptimal. After I understood the mechanisms I had methods of fixing the chain suck, by rotating the inner rings with respect to the outer and in some cases filing the small ring teeth.
Michael Wilson