Cutting a Cannondale Save C1 carbon seat post

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

c60rider

by c60rider

I'm looking for a new seat post for my old Look KG 261 and it uses the rare 25.0mm diameter. The original had a Look ergopost and the occasional one crops up at silly money on ebay for a seatpost that has a habit of breaking so I'm not going to buy a used one of those. I currently have a Thomson inline post they don't do a set back one and I've never liked it and can't quite get the position right. I could put up with it but I'd like to see if there's a suitable option. I'm looking at the Cannondale C1 Save post which is 25.4mm. I may be able to get that to fit as there's a bit of play in the top end of the frame and the current Thomson one only goes tight as the post slides down the seat tube as it's a 350mm tube and there's only about 150mm exposed. I might be able to take a tiny amount out from the alloy lugs inside the seat tube and get the 25.4 Cannondale to fit but only if I chop it down. My question is what is the alloy looking bit that sticks out from the bottom of that seatpost? Is it an alloy post that's just been carbon wrapped? Does the alloy bit have a specific purpose that means I can't cut it without destroying the post? Any other feedback/advice would be appreciated along with any other seat post recommendations aside from me hacking away at things! 25.0mm what were the French thinking....

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

That's just the Di2 battery holder. You can cut the post, even if you end up cutting through the battery holder. As long as you don't need the battery holder...
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

are

by are

I cut mine - no problems.

c60rider