Most reliable power meter with Shimano chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Most reliable power meter with Shimano chainrings

Quarq DFour91
12%
SRM Origin
35%
Pioneer SGY-PM91
8%
Shimano FC-R9100-P
4%
4iiii Podiiiium Dual Sided R9100
8%
Stages Gen 3 Dual Sided R9100
8%
SRM Dura Ace 9000
27%

Total votes: 26

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm think about buying a new PM and move my old one to a different bike. I would like to use shimano chainrings and system reliability, waterproofness and accuracy (preferably with proper temperature compensation) are the most important for me. I also care about weight, but I don't care about real dual leg measurements and extra features. Magnets are ok. I'd love to hear your opinion on the available options.

My PF30A BB makes the whole thing a bit tricky. With kogel or cbear conversion PF30A BB it's pretty easy to install a shimano cranksets, but I have no experience with Quarq BB30/GXP and SRM Origin models. Should I buy the BB30 versions? Are there any good BBs out there to install these? Do I need spacers to fine-tune the chainline? So many questions.

I think my options are the following:
  • Quarq DFour91 BB30 + any PF30A BB (??) - One of the oldest brands. I'm not sure which BB it's compatible with and how complicated to install it. I don't know how heavy it is... proper temperature compensation is an advertised feature
  • SRM Origin BB30 + any PF30A BB (??) - Most reputable brand on the list. I'm not sure which BB and version I need for PF30A.. Very light and accurate, but it costs twice as much as any other options and I have no info about temperature compensation
  • Pioneer SGY-PM91 crankset + Kogel Conversion BB - current setup. only issue is that other options might be lighter, only 2% accuracy, no automatic temperature compensation
  • Shimano FC-R9100-P + Kogel Conversion BB - Super new system, limited information on reliability and accuracy, not a fan of chargeable batteries given after a few years they tend to die.. only 2% accuracy, no info on temperature compensation
  • 4iiii Podiiiium Dual Sided R9100 + Kogel Conversion BB - Only 60 hours with one charge, fairly new system. Any first hand experiences are welcomed. No info on temperature compensation features
  • Stages Gen 3 Dual Sided R9100 + Kogel Conversion BB - Earlier versions had bad reputation for dealing with rain. Stories about being not reliable keep popping up. Proper temperature compensation is an advertised feature
  • SRM Dura Ace 9000 - Old model, but reliable, cheaper than the new SRM and used as a gold standard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

That's probably pretty easy: the SRM Origin. That thing is a tank and has a really reliable interface. The older SRMs are really reliable, too. Like you say, they are way cheaper, too. Good luck!

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

nemeseri wrote: Shimano FC-R9100-P + Kogel Conversion BB[/b] - Super new system, limited information on reliability and accuracy, not a fan of chargeable batteries given after a few years they tend to die.. only 2% accuracy, no info on temperature compensation
After 500 charging cycles you still have at least 80% capacity left.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I'm an SRM fan - I now have three of them, and I recently had a friend who was looking through some files comment on how clean my data was. I was also very happy with my PowerTap hub before that.

I had extremely bad experiences with Quarq - went through three units in 18 months - but my wife has had no issues with either of hers. All of our Quarqs were pre-D-Zero version.

I know someone who recently purchased dual-sided Stages. He is having lots of issues. Stages already sent him a replacement unit, but his problems persist.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

I just bought an SRM Origin with 9100 chainrings. I can't comment on its performance because it's not on the bike yet. Just got here the other day.

It's definitely the priciest option, but I justified it in a few ways:

1. Rechargeable battery is nice to have
2. Trilobe insert is a cool idea and should open it to a larger market if I ever decide to sell
3. It's the lightest option. This is weightweenies after all
4. It's gorgeous. Aesthetics are important to me, and the origin is going to be the thing that really sets off the look of my R5 when all the upgrades are complete. I'll also be putting Carbon-Ti rings on mine.
5. It uses the shimano 4 bolt pattern. I'm trying the Carbon-Ti rings for the first time with this, but I do like me some shimano chainrings. So it's nice to know I have the flexibility to go back to them in the future if I want.

Also just FYI, competitivecyclist is currently running a 20% off one full price item code (MARCH20FP) that doesn't exclude the origin. I used the sale to buy mine, which helped make the price a bit easier to swallow.

bas

by bas

Buy an older shimano based SRM on ebay- have seen plenty going really cheaply. I have the 9000 model and the previous gen as well, they have never missed a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

topflightpro wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:46 pm
I'm an SRM fan
Geoff wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 pm
That's probably pretty easy: the SRM Origin.
Kazyole wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:07 pm
I just bought an SRM Origin with 9100 chainrings.
Woah. Lot of love for SRM. How temperature compensation works with the new and older SRMs? Do you guys know if the new SRM Origin is compatible with PF30A? Which model should I buy? The 30mm or 24mm one? Is it easy to mount it on a PF30A bike? Which BB should I get? For the old one, it seems to be pretty easy.

Maybe I should have asked the question slightly differnetly: which is the most reliable PM with shimano chainrings besides SRM. :D

c60rider

by c60rider

nemeseri wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 pm
I'm think about buying a new PM and move my old one to a different bike. I would like to use shimano chainrings and system reliability, waterproofness and accuracy (preferably with proper temperature compensation) are the most important for me. I also care about weight, but I don't care about real dual leg measurements and extra features. Magnets are ok. I'd love to hear your opinion on the available options.

My PF30A BB makes the whole thing a bit tricky. With kogel or cbear conversion PF30A BB it's pretty easy to install a shimano cranksets, but I have no experience with Quarq BB30/GXP and SRM Origin models. Should I buy the BB30 versions? Are there any good BBs out there to install these? Do I need spacers to fine-tune the chainline? So many questions.

I think my options are the following:
  • Quarq DFour91 BB30 + any PF30A BB (??) - One of the oldest brands. I'm not sure which BB it's compatible with and how complicated to install it. I don't know how heavy it is... proper temperature compensation is an advertised feature
  • SRM Origin BB30 + any PF30A BB (??) - Most reputable brand on the list. I'm not sure which BB and version I need for PF30A.. Very light and accurate, but it costs twice as much as any other options and I have no info about temperature compensation
  • Pioneer SGY-PM91 crankset + Kogel Conversion BB - current setup. only issue is that other options might be lighter, only 2% accuracy, no automatic temperature compensation
  • Shimano FC-R9100-P + Kogel Conversion BB - Super new system, limited information on reliability and accuracy, not a fan of chargeable batteries given after a few years they tend to die.. only 2% accuracy, no info on temperature compensation
  • 4iiii Podiiiium Dual Sided R9100 + Kogel Conversion BB - Only 60 hours with one charge, fairly new system. Any first hand experiences are welcomed. No info on temperature compensation features
  • Stages Gen 3 Dual Sided R9100 + Kogel Conversion BB - Earlier versions had bad reputation for dealing with rain. Stories about being not reliable keep popping up. Proper temperature compensation is an advertised feature
  • SRM Dura Ace 9000 - Old model, but reliable, cheaper than the new SRM and used as a gold standard.
I think you're missing the one off this list that is as good as anything else out there and that's Power2max. The NG version has everything. Rechargeable. Don't even need to zero offset it. Just turn the cranks to wake it up and start riding. The NGeco is a slightly pared down version but equally as solid if you want to pay a bit less. And a bit less again is the Type S they're selling at a reduced price because of the NG version released last year. If SRM users vouch for the reliability of that system then P2M is right up there but at a significantly reduced cost. P2M does everything any other power meter can do put together (apart from true left/right balance)

hogehoge

by hogehoge

You could also consider a pedal based power meter with a normal FC-R9100 or FC-9000.
What brand is your old powermeter?

hypercycler

by hypercycler

Bikeradar just posted a video on the Shimano's PM. Flawed...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKIIEPbhv_k&t=267s

hogehoge

by hogehoge

If you go with an even older used SRM 7900/7800 with a PM6 circuit and are using a Wahoo head unit you may hit this issue
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... ith-my-SRM

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

This is probably the wrong way to phrase the question. Most people convince themselves that whatever they bought is the best.

That being said, I have two Pioneer power meters and have had zero issues with them. They’ve been ridden through lots of rain, ~10k miles a year and they are solid.

I don’t love needing their head unit for firmware updates and mode switches, and I’d think hard about getting another one until they add Bluetooth (at least for configuration/firmware).

morganb

by morganb

None of the above, Power2Max with the 110A bolt pattern. I have an NGeco in this configuration and its been bulletproof. My Type S in 5 bolt has also been reliable in both data and usage.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

morganb wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:39 am
None of the above, Power2Max with the 110A bolt pattern. I have an NGeco in this configuration and its been bulletproof. My Type S in 5 bolt has also been reliable in both data and usage.
c60rider wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:02 pm
I think you're missing the one off this list that is as good as anything else out there and that's Power2max.
Yes you right! The p2m accepts shimano chainrings. Altough I have a few issues with it. I don't really like the Rotor and FSA crankarms... just the look, but I've never tried them. I'd probably go for the standard NG, but in that case with crankarms and chainrings, it would be one of the more pricier option and still one of the heaviest. Or am I wrong?
hogehoge wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 pm
You could also consider a pedal based power meter with a normal FC-R9100 or FC-9000.
What brand is your old powermeter?
I'd like to keep my good ol' shimano pedals and cleets. I heard good things about the new vectors, but I would like to go with something crank or spider based.
GothicCastle wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:34 am
That being said, I have two Pioneer power meters and have had zero issues with them. They’ve been ridden through lots of rain, ~10k miles a year and they are solid.
My current PM is pioneer too. I think it's a pretty good system and haven't had major issues with it. I really want to take a look at other systems though before I buy my next one. I live next to a mountain with a lot of radio towers on it. I experienced insane interference at the top. Basically I have to skip the very top of the climb because it skews my workouts. Also the headunit and the 2% accuracy makes me want to check the other options.
nemeseri wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm
Do you guys know if the new SRM Origin is compatible with PF30A? Which model should I buy? The 30mm or 24mm one? Is it easy to mount it on a PF30A bike? Which BB should I get?
So just to answer my question. Yes, the SRM Origin BB30 is compatible with PF30A. The downside is that it needs 8mm (2x3 + 2mm) spacer on the non-drive side and 10.5mm (9mm + 1.5 mm) spacer on the drive side. It makes it less then optimal. Probably the 24mm spindle version would fit a standard BSA BB better, but it comes with a steel spindle.

Boshk

by Boshk

If you can install Shimano crankset and want to use shimano rings, could consider the Power2max NG or NGeco with shimano 4 bolt, about US$700 I believe. Only thing is, its a Rotor crank so it won't match your DA or Ultegra.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com