Kask Utopia vs Protone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

htc

by htc

Firstly does anyone know when the new Kask Utopia will be released? Secondly has anyone got any opinion on Utopia vs Protone? I currently have a Mojito and have been holding off on picking up a new helmet until spring but I’d like to move to a more aero model and I like the Kask fit and feel.

sungod

by sungod

haven't seen much useful info other than it's a bit heavier than the protone, kask say it's 6w faster than something else, but not what that something else is, i.e. just marketing bs

imo the protone ventilation is ok in hot weather, but i wouldn't want any less, to me it looks like the utopia will have reduced ventilation vs. the protone but presumably slightly lower drag

the protone has way lower drag than the various giro helmets i've had previously (i went from aeon to protone), also feels far better in strong crosswinds

the protone doesn't work well with some glasses, i'm using oakley evzero path with it ok

unless it's shown the ventilation is good as/better than the protone, personally i'd stick with the protone

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

htc

by htc

Thanks, I’m in the UK so ventilation isn’t usually a massive issue but I take your point. On a side not what do you think of the EVZero Path? I’m looking at a set for this year, keen to have something I can wear all day from Spring to Autumn, are the paths too dark?

sungod

by sungod

the 'path' bit is lens shape, they're available with different lenses

i'm uk too, the 'prizm road' lens is ok year round post-dawn/pre-dusk, except in winter if it's a gloomy day

best bet is look on the oakley website, they give light transmission info...

http://www.oakley.com/en/men/sunglasses ... 8392184184

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

If you are getting a Kask helmet, I highly recommend their own sunglass brand Koo. They are made to fit specifically with Kask helmets. Have arms that articulate and lock to three tilt positions, adjustable nose piece, and the best part imo is the Zeiss lens. Super high quality optics easily comparable to Prizm or any other Oakley lens. They come with a sun lens and a clear lens. Photochromic lens is available which I recommend as well.

Never cheer before you know who is winning

MichaelB

by MichaelB

From the Utopia launch in Aus at TdU, the KASK people were saying 6 months, so maybe in time for the TdF

spartan

by spartan

kask vallegro was paper launched last summer. a year later it is still not widely available in all size/colorways. damn italian manufacturing.

in china they work fast. the knockoff is already for sale

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-Pr ... autifyAB=0
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Philbar72

by Philbar72

protones don't play well with rudy project glasses.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Philbar72 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 pm
No they don't to my chagrin. The arms of the Rudys are long and interfere with rear head strap. Kinda sucks
It only hurts if you think.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Johnnysmooth wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:46 pm
Philbar72 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 pm
No they don't to my chagrin. The arms of the Rudys are long and interfere with rear head strap. Kinda sucks
there is a way to get them to work and that is to bend the rear of the arms downwards. its imperfect though... ( i use zyon/ noyz frames).

anquetil

by anquetil

hi
I have one in Size M, Sky Edition Ocean rescue and Yes its GT helmet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anquetil

by anquetil

I have also Valegro white with yellow stripe worn from Bernal.