Kask Utopia vs Protone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

htc

by htc

Firstly does anyone know when the new Kask Utopia will be released? Secondly has anyone got any opinion on Utopia vs Protone? I currently have a Mojito and have been holding off on picking up a new helmet until spring but I’d like to move to a more aero model and I like the Kask fit and feel.

bilwit

by bilwit

Utopia is really ugly and Protone looks class (in certain colors). Nuff said!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

I thought utopia was supposed to be better ventilation and better aero than protone? Which is probably the same as the rain jackets that a more waterproof and more breathable....;-)

I’ve a protone, great helmet but agree I wouldn’t want any less ventilation.

Hardstyle

by Hardstyle

Protone is very good and preety looking helmet.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Is the protone the one that looks like it's on backwards?

slake21

by slake21

jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:23 am
Is the protone the one that looks like it's on backwards?
nah, it looks like a Ferrari

I bought a white one a few weeks ago. the Utopia's looks is nowhere near the Protone in my opinion

Shrike

by Shrike

Love how the Protone looks but oddly ventilation isn't actually that great given how aggressively vented it appears. I was sweating buckets in it last summer in Scotland on the few warm days we had.

Read something recently about how air passes over a lot of helmet vents, so you can't judge by looks alone.

That said, still really like the Protone and being in the UK I'd even swap it for a helmet a little warmer and more aero as it's usually cool when I'm riding. Best thing about the Protone is that it actually looks decent to good on most people. Not many helmets you can say that about. Have my eye on the Utopia and Spesh's new aero-road lid. Think Oakley has something too in this category.

Being aero kit tough I'd need to see some testing.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

slake21 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 am
jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:23 am
Is the protone the one that Imagelooks like it's on backwards?
nah, it looks like a Ferrari

I bought a white one a few weeks ago. the Utopia's looks is nowhere near the Protone in my opinion
Yes you might be right.

savechief

by savechief

Based on Kask timelines for announcing products and then actually having them available, I would say that you could buy a Utopia sometime in 2023.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

hyvent

by hyvent

Shrike wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 am
Love how the Protone looks but oddly ventilation isn't actually that great given how aggressively vented it appears. I was sweating buckets in it last summer in Scotland on the few warm days we had.

Read something recently about how air passes over a lot of helmet vents, so you can't judge by looks alone.

That said, still really like the Protone and being in the UK I'd even swap it for a helmet a little warmer and more aero as it's usually cool when I'm riding. Best thing about the Protone is that it actually looks decent to good on most people. Not many helmets you can say that about. Have my eye on the Utopia and Spesh's new aero-road lid. Think Oakley has something too in this category.

Being aero kit tough I'd need to see some testing.
i have the same experience as well.
i rode during the humid summers and the protone doesnt vent as well as it looks.
i also have my eye on the Oakley Aro5 but the Giro Vanquish reportedly has great venting.

Conza

by Conza

:lol: :lol:

Some classic Pro Protone comments in here.

(Also endorse the sentiment).
It's all about the adventure :o .

fh8425

by fh8425

how about giro synthe for ventilation ?

MichaelB

by MichaelB

savechief wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm
Based on Kask timelines for announcing products and then actually having them available, I would say that you could buy a Utopia sometime in 2023.

At the launch of tyhe Utopia in Adelaide at TDU, the Kask reps said that Sky have a 6 month exclusivity period from when 1st released before the public can buy them.

Therefore, if that works, should be available around TdF time

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Any update on the Utopia's release date?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stueys

by Stueys

savechief wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm

This. Never understand why they do press launches, advertising, etc when you can’t actually buy the thing. Nuts...