brand new di2 system stopped working after 5 mins

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djel

by djel

I'm having the weirdest problem with this new build...

I have a brand new Ultegra R8050 groupset with the bar end junction box and the WU111 for wireless connection. I plugged in everything and everything worked well on the first try i.e. I was able to shift the RD and FD.

I tried to set-up the ios app but after the lights on the junction box were off. I tried holding the button 0.5 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec, etc. but nothing happens. I unplugged and plugged everything again, tried to only plug the battery and shifters, just one derailleur, using the 'stock' junction box, etc...but nothing works. Initially I thought it wasn't charged enough but after a full charge, it still doesn't work.

Any idea? I doubt there's anything faulty as it was working fine when I first try it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Did you make an attempt at updating the firmware? It's possible that an error occurred during the firmware update process and this could cause the component to be 'bricked'. First we need to find out which component has a firmware fault. It can be fixed quite easily but you need the Shimano diagnostic tool which every bike shop should have one. I've had a component 'bricked' on me once before during a firmware update.

glepore

by glepore

+1 on the above.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just turn the inline adjuster on the front derailleur a quarter turn.
... oh wait, nevermind. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

moyboy

by moyboy

Had the same issue with a 9170 system.

Do you have a PC at home and the SM-BCR2 charger? take your bike over and plug in into the usb port and download the e-tube project software.
it will identify which needs a new firmware and update it along with the WU111 inline bluetooth adapter.

Once plugged in the PC software will identify and update everything. After you unplug from the PC go turn on the system and connect via BT to see all the components on the iOS app.
djel wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:10 am
I'm having the weirdest problem with this new build...

I have a brand new Ultegra R8050 groupset with the bar end junction box and the WU111 for wireless connection. I plugged in everything and everything worked well on the first try i.e. I was able to shift the RD and FD.

I tried to set-up the ios app but after the lights on the junction box were off. I tried holding the button 0.5 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec, etc. but nothing happens. I unplugged and plugged everything again, tried to only plug the battery and shifters, just one derailleur, using the 'stock' junction box, etc...but nothing works. Initially I thought it wasn't charged enough but after a full charge, it still doesn't work.

Any idea? I doubt there's anything faulty as it was working fine when I first try it.

moyboy

by moyboy

sorry was a duplicate post

djel

by djel

moyboy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 am
Had the same issue with a 9170 system.

Do you have a PC at home and the SM-BCR2 charger? take your bike over and plug in into the usb port and download the e-tube project software.
it will identify which needs a new firmware and update it along with the WU111 inline bluetooth adapter.

Once plugged in the PC software will identify and update everything. After you unplug from the PC go turn on the system and connect via BT to see all the components on the iOS app.
I just tried it and everything was recognized by the software. I was able to update the firmware for all components, but still...nothing work! The derailleurs won't shift and no light on the junction box. When I do the set-up in the PC software, there's a really small window of time when the WU111 shows up on the app but I don't have enough time to pair it.

sounds like I'll have to take it to the LBS...

@Calnago - it's definitely testing my patience..!!

djel

by djel

ok everything is working well now wth...

It's great so far I love it!! /s

wingguy

by wingguy

When you use the wired Etube connection you need to disconnect in the software before physically unplugging or it doesn't work. I believe that the same thing holds true for the Etube app, you need to un-pair in the app before closing it down or locking your phone, otherwise it won't shift.

hogehoge

by hogehoge

I had exactly the same issue on 9170 when the iOS updater failed.
In my case I had to take it to a shop with an SM-PCE1 which could identify and update all the devices except for the EW-WU111.
The etube app said the EW-WU111 can only be updated over Bluetooth due to an error state.
After reconnecting the EW-WU111 to the updated system I could then use the iOS app to update the EW-WU111

Anders3404

by Anders3404

I had the same issue.

My solution was to update the entire system without the EW-WU111. Then plug the EW-WU111 directly to the battery and the junctionbox so I could pair it to my phone and update it. If a shifter or any other unit was connected before the EW-WU111 was updated, the EW-WU111 caused some sort of glitch in the system.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

roseyscot

by roseyscot

Glitch in the matrix...

sleep

by sleep

seems EW-WU111 is problematic.

FelixTheCat

by FelixTheCat

You're not alone, just build up a 9100 and the rear derailer wouldnt shift up. Needed a hard reset, pretty simple fix but was strange

Finx

by Finx

My advice? Do your firmware updates on the PC with the USB connection.

After everything else is updated, if, and only if the Etube windows software tells you to use the etube app to update the EW-WU111, then connect it to the bluetooth app and update that component.

There are accounts all over the web of the etube app (phone/tablet) temp-bricking the system trying to do firmware updates. Don't use it unless all of your other components are up to date, and the PC app tells you to update the wireless unit (this can *only* be done using the mobile app via bluetooth).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com