Cool shops in Tokyo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Seedster

by Seedster

I’m hanging out in Tokyo for a few days and besides eating and drinking, I wondered if anyone could recommend any cool bike shops worth visiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Don't know any, but you should visit Akihibara(?) electronic district. That should take your mind off bikes.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is there a Shimano museum?

/a

hogehoge

by hogehoge

Cherubim if don't mind travelling to Machida (still part of Tokyo)
http://www.cherubim.jp

ross

by ross

It's not specifically a bike shop, more of a DIY / arts & crafts department store but I got some cool bits in Tokyo Hands in Shibuya, they have a whole floor dedicated to bicycles

Also try this one for a more high end roadie store

http://www.nalsimafrend.jp/shop/jingu.html

And do yourself a favour and book a show (not to eat) at the Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Y's road Asazo located in Ueno is very cool. It was very small but indeed featured perhaps the biggest collection of spare parts in Tokyo. Any other stores like this in the states yet.

rlanger

by rlanger

There are a few Y's Road locations around the city that are all fun to check out. Google is your friend.

What part of Tokyo are you staying in?

Seedster

by Seedster

Thank you all for the recommendations. I’m staying in minato-ku for a few days. I have a bunch of social activities and shopping lined up but I think a visit to Cherubim would be fun.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Below are some suggestions I have given in the past.

Y's Road in Shinjuku - there is actually four shops but the best one is the "custom shop" which focuses on custom road builds and stocks some weight weenie parts https://translate.google.com.a...ku-custom/shop&prev=search .

There is also separate shops nearby that have Road and MTB, City and commuter bikes and a shop for Clothing, Shoes and Helmets.

Compared to bike shops in Australia, some of the larger shops in Japan can be slightly overwhelming due to the sheer volume of inventory they have on display, not just bikes but parts and accessories. It can be hard to know where to start looking.

Bonsai Cycles is worth a visit. They do some cool custom builds with Indy Fab, Vynl and Cielo bikes. It is a small, well curated shop with a café run by a husband and wife team that makes some good coffee and cakes. https://bonsaicycleworks.com/

In greater Tokyo, you could also go and visit Cherubim, I haven't been there, but they make some nice bikes http://www.cherubim.jp/shop/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Seedster wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:01 am
Thank you all for the recommendations. I’m staying in minato-ku for a few days. I have a bunch of social activities and shopping lined up but I think a visit to Cherubim would be fun.

When you go to Cherubim can you tell them to hurry up with my frame please? Apparently painting was going to be finished 3 weeks ago :thumbup:

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Holy Cow, the component selection at the shop in the photo is astounding! Looks like a Santini colorway De Rosa Idol just laying up there.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

wheelbuilder wrote:Holy Cow, the component selection at the shop in the photo is astounding! Looks like a Santini colorway De Rosa Idol just laying up there.
Most of the Y's road shops I have looked at are like that, some others too (uemera cycles in Osaka). The range of parts (including framesets) on the floor of shops is huge and almost overwhelming at first.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mmendoza87

by mmendoza87

I highly recommend a visit to Y's Road as mentioned above for the pure roadie bike parts lust. Blue Lug https://bluelug.com/ is another one with various locations in Tokyo. They cater to the hipper side of cycling (think of The Radavist crowd) but lots of interesting and creative builds of road bikes to see there. My personal favorite location is the HATAGAYA branch.

Seedster

by Seedster

Wookski wrote:
When you go to Cherubim can you tell them to hurry up with my frame please? Apparently painting was going to be finished 3 weeks ago :thumbup:

I didn’t make it out to their factory but visited their boutique today and told them you wanted your bike expedited.

Seeing these bikes up close was a real treat. Fantastic attention to detail. Thoughtful design and customization throughout. Too bad the wait time is about 6 months!!! Here are a few pics from my visit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com